overheating gti??

Rudaz

basically on the way to gym a week ago and very slow moving traffic for about 30mins and i noticed my temp was reading above 110 so i pulled over and let it cool for 10mins then carried on my journey, but did notice that when driving about it sits bang on 90 and always has done, but when i got to the gym, my mate (who happens to be a mechanic) checked my relay box? near the windscreen bottle and noticed a 20amp had blown so wh changed it and hoped this was the problem,

just been outside now to clean my engine bay and noticed its blown again?? i dont really do long journeys so never really have time for the fan to kick in, except going to the gym 3 times a week which is the only time i notice it overheating..

my mate said it could be any number of things but just wondered if there was anything i could look out for myself and or thats cheep to fix as a start? ive changed the fuse again, but other than this i have no clue :rolleyes:

any help appreciated

thanks D

Mines recently developed this exact same problem! Let me know if you figure out what it is in the next week or so before I get it in the garage and let them find out!

Firstly replace the fuse again!

Start the car, leave it standing with the bonnet open and allow it to fully warm up. The fan should cut in as the temperature rises, if not then check your fuses again, it could be that the fan is blowing the fuse and causing the car to overheat.

Firstly replace the fuse again!

Start the car, leave it standing with the bonnet open and allow it to fully warm up. The fan should cut in as the temperature rises, if not then check your fuses again, it could be that the fan is blowing the fuse and causing the car to overheat.

I have done this, the fuse never blew but the fan never kicked in? and the dial still read 90??

but after a 20min trip i checked again and the fuse was blown again? (thats 3 now!) :(

You sure its overheating or maybe the reading is faulty? Tryed the coolant temp sensor?

where is this located?? sorry to be a flid! :blush:

Sound like you have a fault with the fan or the wiring. Poke inside the fan9all switched off) with a screw driver etc, see if it's seized. follow the wiring from the fuse to the fan see if there is any damage.

what rich said, mine did this back in the day and the fan was fubar, common fault on them . bridging the plug terminals should bring the fan on ,or try 12 v direct to fan.