should i stretch or replace??

bulldog

My wifes lupo needs 2 rear tyres asap which i don`t mind as i am going to keep the 15 x 6.5 lenso rs5`s for winter`s anyhow but they are currently fitted with 195/45/15 tyres and the 2 on the front are like new but i don`t know weather to replace the 2 with the same size so they all match or fit 4 165/50/15`s just for the stretch? do you think it would look any better? decisions,decisions. I think i will also get it a bit lower at the back aswell why im there because it looks to me like it`s sitting a little to high at the rear. Just can`t decide what to do at the moment. Whats your thoughts on this?

2010_1016_172942.jpg

2010_1016_172954.jpg

in theory stretched ones should better due to the narrower width in winter

If they had the desired sidewall flex and suitable compound for the lower temperatures.

go for a little stretch,

though,165/50/15 on a 6.5 rim wont really be a stretch,unless you go for bridgestones

stretch is the way forward,loops look poop hot with stretch :wub:

ignore all the sensible teenagers on here-except silver, like me he'd like to be a teenager again :lol:

just do it

believe thats doms old gti ,still looks nice :wub:

I aint sensible, i just like going round corners flat out :lol:

A-Men to that!

Stretching should be illegal!

A lupo GTI is all about the fun, chuckable handling, not being scared to go above 30mph in wet conditions, or go over 100mph cus you might get a blowout.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

A-Men to that!

Stretching should be illegal!

A lupo GTI is all about the fun, chuckable handling, not being scared to go above 30mph in wet conditions, or go over 100mph cus you might get a blowout.

Because people don't drift at silly speeds with stretched tyres, right? :D

Edited by ct-gti

Simple questions to see if you need stretch.

Do your wheels stick out from the arch due to width, ET or both?

Do you get terrible scrubbing ?

If not you don't really need stretch and the wheels are probably to thin to get any.

How dodgy are stretched tyres? Anybody had any bad experience with them?

A reasonable amount of stretch is fine

those kids spouting off about it should be illegal and is dangerous

have probably never ran wheels with it so don't have a clue

A reasonable amount of stretch is fine

those kids spouting off about it should be illegal and is dangerous

have probably never ran wheels with it so don't have a clue

Yes, because you need to have done something illegal to know it's illegal.

This thread is worth a read (you need to sign up) : http://www.driftworks.com/forum/other-chat/126960-tyre-stretch-12-points-****.html (change the **** to s h i t without spaces).

Now the dude hasnt actually been prosecuted yet, but it looks like one cop with an agenda. IF the prosecutor decides to go ahead with it, and wins the case, then it will turn a "grey" area into a firmly illegal area. Technically it is already illegal but there is not a firm precedent in law as of yet, so police tend not to bother bringing it to court.

If you have a tyre size out of the manufacturer's tolerences, then I'd advise you to follow this thread.

Even if nothing happens, its a warning - police can waste your time like this, do you really want it to be that way? The cop in this case seems to be dodgy as well as an arsehole, but there are plenty of cops out there with a grudge against all modified car owners, so.... beware.

Edited by richie.guy

Because people don't drift at silly speeds with stretched tyres, right? :D

Precisely! And at what point do you think its a good idea to drift in a VW lupo?!

Stretched tyres are designed to "let go" easier and more violoently than a tyre with a taller sidewall.

The give in the sidewall makes it more progressive and controllable when on the limit of grip.

Anyone who tells you otherwise clearly isnt a dedicated driver, with handling, drivability and fun as a priority.

Anyway, to the Op, i think you're GTI looks great on the Lenso's! I'd stick some Toyo T1r's on them, then lower it a bit at the back and drive it! :shades:

Edited by Cooper_GTI

I had stretch on my RM's and it handled spot on around corners and islands at 60mph even handled well in the wet... and they were fine at 140mph too (speedo reading)

:lol:

Edited by Dom's dub GTI