Manifold Q's

221_matty

Basically I've been considering one for ages.

Been quoted £900 for a full custom system this includes 4-2-1 Manifold,Sports Cat and Cat back.

I was expecting around this price but was wondering if anybody on here got a custom system for less anywhere?

Preferably closer to North East region.

Also wondering if the gains are truely worth the price, does it really make much difference? I know im only expecting a couple of BHP at the most but does the car respond better as a whole.

Are better gains are made with a De-Cat, I know cars benefit better in the higher rev range from this on other cars but does

the GTI run okay with a de-cat; I know some cars to run worse with a De-Cat, I expect with all cars when a De-Cat is involved the engine light is usually on.

Thanks

I know Foxy got a full system made at AAS. Mani, cat and catback. That was £1000 and I know he's chuffed with it.

From what I've read, I'd stay away from a decat.

I've just ordered an Ashley manifold and sports cat from Awesome. Will let you know what it's like when I get it fitted. Gonna run it with the standard rear system.

The only reason you lose torque with a decat is if the rest of the exhaust is too large in diameter.

The cat is a restriction, be it sports cat or not and you're engine WILL breath better without one.

This restriction (cat) is what gains you power lower in the rev range, removing it will effectively shift this power band further up the range but will also release more bhp.

To overcome the torque loss, the exhaust should be made from a reasonable diameter pipe which will keep the power range lower down, creating more torque.

To sum up, a large diameter pipe gives you more power at high revs, a small diameter pipe gives you more power at low revs. The cat, in effect is decreasing the diameter as it is a restriction.

This information was given to me by a Mr John Ashley in Walsall, who builds manifold/race/grup n systems for a living.

The only reason you lose torque with a decat is if the rest of the exhaust is too large in diameter.

The cat is a restriction, be it sports cat or not and you're engine WILL breath better without one.

This restriction (cat) is what gains you power lower in the rev range, removing it will effectively shift this power band further up the range but will also release more bhp.

To overcome the torque loss, the exhaust should be made from a reasonable diameter pipe which will keep the power range lower down, creating more torque.

To sum up, a large diameter pipe gives you more power at high revs, a small diameter pipe gives you more power at low revs. The cat, in effect is decreasing the diameter as it is a restriction.

This information was given to me by a Mr John Ashley in Walsall, who builds manifold/race/grup n systems for a living.

A few more reasons why we use Ashley Performance for our lupo Manifolds! :)

Doesn't it cause hassle with the engine management light with a decat? As the second lambda probe goes after the cat? So not having a cat means it's not getting the readings it's expecting, so throws up a fault? Can this be written out with a remap? Can I ask any more questions in this post?

Either way, I'm glad I've gone for a sports cat as I couldn't be arsed swapping it about when it comes to MOT time.

Doesn't it cause hassle with the engine management light with a decat? As the second lambda probe goes after the cat? So not having a cat means it's not getting the readings it's expecting, so throws up a fault? Can this be written out with a remap? Can I ask any more questions in this post?

Either way, I'm glad I've gone for a sports cat as I couldn't be arsed swapping it about when it comes to MOT time.

Ask away. All your doing is asking what i was going to :)

I think i will end up with a sports cat on it. The only reason i dont want the Ashley system is that its designed for the 1.4 but i am very interested in the results as its still a consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

had a de-cat made in longlife for my arosa sport.

deffo more power top end of the rev range with it, and therefore keeps going and going in 5th.

topped out at 124mph on an airfield.

thats with bmc dia filter and de-cat section, standard manifold and cat back.

ive heard the raceland manis give good gains.. but dont fit very well.

my mate had one on his saxo vtr. made a really good difference to that.

how much is the kam racing full system? supposed to give 13bhp on a standard engine..

Have a look on the Kam Racing website...

But it works out at about £1200 I think.

For a decat manifold and the system with the oval tailpipe it works out at £889.99

the manifold with a sports cat combined with the oval tailpipe system works out at £1,019.99

>Kam Racing Manifold - Lupo GTi

>Kam Racing Exhaust System - Lupo GTi

The parameters of the rear lambda sensor should be able to be expanded to well outside of the expected limits whilst doing a remap so that a de-cat pipe can be used. The rear lambda sensor does nothing other than evaluate the efficiency of the cat anyway. It doesn't affect the way the car drives.

Ask away. All your doing is asking what i was going to :)

I think i will end up with a sports cat on it. The only reason i dont want the Ashley system is that its designed for the 1.4 but i am very interested in the results as its still a consideration.

We recently had a club lupo rolling road day in which we had a chance to see what the ashley manifold was giving power wise. Despite being originally designed around the 1.4 100bhp Sport, We found the figures we got were pretty much what we expected!

The car itself had the Ashley Competition manifold, A pipewerx 200 cell cat and a BMC intake kit.

Quite happy with the results to be honest although it would have been nice to have a before and after graph.

05loughran.jpg