anti roll bar

Marshey

For last few weeks ive had a knockin noise coming from my car when going over big bumps or breaking or accelerating hard. I had a check and noticed the anti roll bar was hitting the chassis as it was above the wishbone. i swapped it round so it went under the wishbone and now its rubbing on wishbone and catches the wheel on full lock. Can anyone show me how there anti roll bar sits please

So how do people with lower cars than me solve this problem cause its really startin to annoy me. The only options i can think of is remove it and have poor handling or grind away part of the chassis that its touching. I dont like the sound of either of these options.

Don't know if its any consolation, but since I added my rear anti-roll bar and lowered the car by 30mm I also get a knocking noise from the front when I go over speed humps. I can't get to a workshop until the end of this month to check it out, so been using a different car in the interim...

• 3 years later...

really? don't you think that the people at vw, who could have potentially saved millions by not fitting anti roll bars would have considered that, I can remember driving cars before arb's were popular and pulling many out of ditches, but I'm old. Geoff

ps a lot of people who have lowered their cars to the point where this problem occurs consider chassis notching, but beware, you need to be a good welder and know what you're doing, so the choice is yours. your mot examiner may not like it so check it out first!

Try putting the ARB back in the correct position and check all the rubber bushes on the wishbones , strut mounts and lower ball joints

If the problem persists , raise the car until the clonking stops .

Edited by Bigplum

I think that if you had just lowered you car the arb will hit frame on bumbs.. But when you go really low the sound would end because then the front lays on the arb.

And when its laying on it, the handling is poor and the whole front is bouncing on every bumb!

So lower your car more and take it off, thats what i did :)