Insurance for a Lupo 1.4 S

jabbles21

OK so you're in an incredibly low risk area! This should help you a great deal! Think yourself lucky you don't live in the UK's equivalent to the Gaza Strip like I do!

Realistically how many miles are you going to be driving per year? A lot of the insurance companies will automatically presume you are going to do 12,000 miles a year! If you are only going to do 3,000 - 4,000 - 5,000, Make sure you tell them this!

If you are looking for Comprehensive car insurance, Find out what the excess is! If your car is costing you £1,500 to buy, and your excess is £1,000, then it's probably worth getting Third Party Fire & Theft (TPFT) insurance. This doesn't cover repairs to your car if you are in an accident, but it will cover any damage you cause to other peoples cars. It will bring the cost of the insurance down by a fair bit!

It'll also probably help you to drive a little bit more sensibly! i.e. If you crash your car, it's coming out of your pocket to repair it! - If the car gets stolen or burnt out, your insurance will pay out!

If you want to go even cheaper still, in exchange for less cover, You can get Third Party Only (TPO) insurance. This basically means if someone steals your car, sets fire to it or you crash it, You will not get paid out! However if you crash into someone, you are covered. The most basic form of car insurance, but also the cheapest!

Have you done your 'Pass Plus'? If not, it might be worth asking how this will effect your policy when you are ringing round. Most insurance companies will give a discount of 10-15% for 'Pass Plus' certified Drivers. Same again in a few years time, do your Advanced Driving licence! I get a fair sized discount for being part of the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

Goodo! Thanks for checking that mate.

I have been telling them that it would be 3000 miles a year, I have no idea what I will actually do, but it won't be driven every day as it's quicker for me to walk to college, or even better, cycle!

For fully comprehensive, I have had excesses of £500, however like you say, in the event of the car getting written off, I would save money by just replacing the car myself, as then I retain my NCB.

I haven't done my pass plus, but in my area the council refund you for it if you choose to do it, so I plan to do it but haven't asked how it will affect my quote.. Anyone know if Admiral offer Pass Plus discount??

Thanks for the help nfbr.

Gilly.

my 1st car was a polo 6n 1.4 8v, the had a couple of other cars then decided to up market to

a audi a3 got insured at £2300 fully comp on my mums this yr i went to go on ,y own and it

went up to £3700 stupid money. i just bought a lupo sport (100bhp) ha i pay £1700 on my own fully comp

im 18 think thts alrite tbf cus i didnt get a yrs ncb last year as i was on my mums!

Egg insurnce have always givin me pretty low qoutes try them ! hope it helps ha

Still no progress. And Steve200 I don't want a 1.0L as I think it would be too slow. I know you'll think that i'm gonna be a boy racer and write my car off which is why i'm paying alot for insurance, but I want a fast enough car to overtake sensibly etc.

Cheers, Gilly.

• 2 weeks later...

£1800 for insurence is just so expensive. That 1800 in the first year and like 1600 the second year. that nearly £4000 grand down the drain basicly in 2 years.

Moaning int going to get it any cheaper , so either pay it or dont drive , simples.

• 3 weeks later...

£1800 for insurence is just so expensive. That 1800 in the first year and like 1600 the second year. that nearly £4000 grand down the drain basicly in 2 years.

It's that price because you are statistically a higher risk.

Stop moaning or stop driving!

Insurance has gone up a lot recentley, I think I saw up 30% in 9 months somewhere (possibly AA website) - with young guns being hit hardest as third party has seen the biggest rise. I think its mainly down to all the idiots claiming for everything possible in injuries, even if accidents weren't all that bad. I think it must just go up in a spiralling circle of whenever there is an accident - "I'm paying £xxxx - wayyy to much, I'll get back at them and get some free money".

Realistically, any new driver should look at a car group 3 or below (group 7 in new groups?), which you have done, so good decision, it seems to have really good performance for its group! For this reason some insurers may have increased premiums on it, like when I was looking for a Saxo VTR, group 7 didn't mean much to Endsleigh when they refused to offer me a quote - however I doubt the Lupo 1.4 S has been flagged up, but it could have been I have no idea.

When I was 17 and on my own policy nearly two years ago I got a quote of £1150 which was really competitive, with Endsleigh - the best around at the time, but now it would likely cost me £1450+ if I was in the same situation today.

All you can do is check all your details are correct, try a couple of different comparison websites, and direct with some companies not on there - Adrian Flux / Bell / Churchill / Direct Line etc - insurance prices fluctuate all the time, it can go up and down (but most northwards at the moment). Then with your details play about with 'unemployed', 'student' 'part time - xxxx' etc with your occupation, trying some out without lying. The miles don't really make any difference I've found, at the lower end - e.g. 5,000 and 8,000 I was quoted the same. You seem to be doing everything right being parked on a drive etc, and trying low miles though.

Also if you are a student, try Endsleigh (I dunno if you have to be at Uni, they may accept 6th form / college) - they do a bonus accelerator, and 18 month plan - You start on a 6 month policy, then once its up and you renew with them for 12 months you get a 1 years no claims disount on your quote (mine went from £1150 p/y to £850 p/y - I was worried they'd be mean but they werent :D), so after 18 months you get a 2 years NCB which you can transfer anywhere, it doesn't have to be used with Endsleigh after you have finished the 18 months. As I said, I paid £575 for 6 months (equiv to £1150 p/y), then it went down to £850 for 12 months (equiv to £425 for 6 months) so they were quite generous really, I may have fallen on a lucky month of lower quotes :D.

Good luck

Edited by jackthewelshman

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou, I have now sorted my insurance at around £1700 fully comp on a full licence, which is much better than what i had previously (£1800+ tpft)

I reduced it by adding parents onto the policy, admiral's multicar discount of 10%, (10% is alot when theyre quoting such stupid figures!) and oddly fully comp was around £100 cheaper than tpft. I think its because on fully comp I'm more likely to be a more sensible person who'll drive more sensibly? Who knows?

Cheers for all your advice :) Gilly.