Lupo Headlight Mod (1.4S add Bi-Xenon Projector) [ NOW FOR SALE! £250 ]

. Bo .

Update 22/11/2010 Car is now gone. These head light are now for sale £250.

Been learn a lot from this forum since we had the little yellow lupo two years ago.

I think it is time to give back some. :P

My first post hope you likes it.

The light from the 1.4S wasn't good enough as standard H4.

So... We put an after market Bi-Xenon projector in there,Good quality Ballasts and Philips D2S bulbs(85122+).

Plus some LED strip on the side act as side light.

Here is the result LOL.

IMG_6928.jpg

Blaster.jpg

Lenseunit.jpg

Lenseunitback.jpg

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6932.jpg

IMG_6934.jpg

IMG_6935.jpg

Edited by . Bo .

I dont know if its because im tired, but have you just installed hids? :wacko:

Put H4 Xenon light bulb in original light will NOT improve the light performance of the lupo.

For the best of it:

I take the headlight off the car

Oven it to open up

Cut off the bottom of light reflector

Drill for holes around the cut off bit...

Fix the bi-xenon lenses

Glued up some LED strips

Put in D2S xenon light bulbs

And some wirings...

Adjust headlight on the car.

Heat up headlight then but it back together

Install it back on.

The 1st picture shows the light patten at night... I should take that picture in a open space that will be more clear tho.

Edited by . Bo .

is this legal? have you done the self leveling? and headlight cleaning? i bought a kit and my uncle who a copper insisted its illegal apparently police are trying to clamp down on this cause of a huge numbers of drivers complaining of being blinded , i want to know cause i would love to do this to my lupoghini aswel

is this legal? have you done the self leveling? and headlight cleaning? i bought a kit and my uncle who a copper insisted its illegal apparently police are trying to clamp down on this cause of a huge numbers of drivers complaining of being blinded , i want to know cause i would love to do this to my lupoghini aswel

Well the headlight beam is well controlled from the bi-xenon projector, check out the clear cut off line on 1st picture...

A setup of hid without projector(i.e. use it on standard reflector will blind everyone drive opposite)

I put a 4300K Hid bulb in there, that is why it not looks blueish.

Well the headlight beam is well controlled from the bi-xenon projector, check out the clear cut off line on 1st picture...

A setup of hid without projector(i.e. use it on standard reflector will blind everyone drive opposite)

I put a 4300K Hid bulb in there, that is why it not looks blueish.

ahh yeah i get what you mean it does seem legal just been told to check this out http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Edited by kingkuda

ahh yeah i get what you mean it does seem legal just been told to check this out http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

hay, I never said this mod is 100% legal. BUT it will improve dramatically from [standard reflector + hid bulb or original H4 bulb].

From my point of view for the road safty of both driver (lupo driver and others from opposite)

OEM Bi-Xenon projector + OEM bulbs + OEM Ballasts is the best option for MOD.

On the legal side, the .gov website got the best explanation, please read that before plan add hid to the car.

Fitting HID's isn't normally a problem as long as you don't fit the stupid ones which fire light out at all angles!

However, If the police so choose to, they can do you for it as your original headlights are not type approved for use with a gas discharge bulb.

That said and done, I doubt you'll get pulled for them and I doubt you'll fail an MOT with them.

marcusgrant, here is some picture of the lupo I took this afternoon,Hope you likes it

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

And a unfinished mod picture from a MK4 golf

Golfmod.jpg

how did you ensure when fitting the actual projector and ballast unit that it was lined up exactly? just intrigued more than anything :)

Hi croakey,

I parked the car facing a wall and mark down the original light position with some marking tape...

Then did drill few holes on the reflector to fix the Bi-xenon lens. Check the last picture I post for the Golf headlight.

The reflector and lens was tested on the car before I put silicon glue between reflector and lens.

Of course the headlight alway adjustable with the leveler in cabin or the white plastic screws on the headlight unit itself.

The ballast unit wasn't a problem. There are planty of space in the 1.4S engine bay for that :P

Thank you for reading. :)

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6937.jpg

croakey, Here is you will need for the job.

2 x Bi-xenon Projectors about 50-120,

2 x D2S bulb 40-70,

2 x Ballast 30-80

Others parts 20 quids

Also a set of spare headlight 90 quids from TPS while you do the mod...

-------could use for pass MOT as well. :P just in case-----------

price are differ depends source and brand.

My friend got these parts from H.K.

The LHD light pattens are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting HID's isn't normally a problem as long as you don't fit the stupid ones which fire light out at all angles!

However, If the police so choose to, they can do you for it as your original headlights are not type approved for use with a gas discharge bulb.

That said and done, I doubt you'll get pulled for them and I doubt you'll fail an MOT with them.

Quick update: Today the car passed the M.O.T with these Bi-Xenon headlight. :shades:

• 1 month later...

hi i no its been a while since you posted this lol but ive just found it haha :lol: i have just bought a HID convertion kit for my lupo and just wondered if i bought some of them projectors would the HID bulbs fit in them? otherwise i have just wasted £120 on a desent convertion kit, the kit i have bought is awsome but i just need some projectors to make the cut off better then i will get the full effect form the kit IF i can use is lol cheers oh and if i can where did you get them from

• 3 weeks later...

im sorry but this...

IMAG0094.jpg

IMO looks so gash!

why not just install Lupo gti light units?

Well, how much it cost for gti light units?

My parts only cost under 300quids...

And I got all the fun of DIY =P

Easyway to get the projector are pick them up from crushed cars(with Bi-Xenon Projector build in)......

The aftermarket Hid kits for lupo got H4 Xenon bulb in there... will not fit in any Bi-Xenon projector.

As those Bi-Xenon projector use D2S or D4S.

I got those projectors from HK about 50 quids each.

• 1 month later...

Sadly. The car is GONE(burn out by some kids, they took the headunit). >_<

All head light are in perfect condition.

Will fit all lupos(ex Gti) without any mod.

My lupo passed the MOT with those headlight on.

I am looking for 250 pounds for the pair of bi-xenon projector headlight.

(Cost me round 300pound for the parts + many hours of work.)

D2S HID bulbs, LED strips all includes. 90% new.

let me know if anyone want more info.

ty,it was 2 month ago. :(

My next door neighbor told me when she saw the car on fire and windows glass rolling down slowly.

That sounds very creepy scene to imagine...

Well loved little car... we will still miss it after many many years.

• 1 year later...