For all the GTI's running FK's Highsports PLEAE HELP!!

Sara

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afaik the shafts are the same,Sara do your wheels camber in at the top or bottom.

I nominate Mr fox to do the work for you and then you can go for a drink, lol

At the min they look like the camber in at the top (so it will wear the inside of the tire out more than the outside lol)

I do too!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by Sara

I thought you had a fella , youve just said you would go with a drink with foxy .

Hussy :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Yay!! bf went today to pick the parts up, also got me another towing eye cover, will have a look tomorro if the ball joint are much different.

As a few people have been saying about elongating the holes in the struts..... can I not get away with the camber if I don't modify them? or is it too excessive

Yay!! bf went today to pick the parts up, also got me another towing eye cover, will have a look tomorro if the ball joint are much different.

As a few people have been saying about elongating the holes in the struts..... can I not get away with the camber if I don't modify them? or is it too excessive

If your not running low, you might be OK, as the lower you are, the worse it gets. But didn't the garage mess around with it cause they couldn't get the camber correct?

Had a look at the ball joints and they are supposed to be bent up like in the photo,

If your not running low, you might be OK, as the lower you are, the worse it gets. But didn't the garage mess around with it cause they couldn't get the camber correct?

Yeah they elongated the 3 holes which bolt the ball joint onto the wishbone to 'try' and get the camber corrected.

My fella hasn't been able to see if the ball joints are different than the ones on the car. Hopefully they will be!

Had a look at the ball joints and they are supposed to be bent up like in the photo,

Mr Fox - are you saying they are the same as what' on my car now? (the ones which are from EK's)

No, it's the length that will be different you need to put both of them right next to each other to make sure

*****UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!********

Many thanks to everyone who posted and helped!!!!!

The 'genuine' GTI ball joint vs the EK's special one!

IMG_3367.jpg

Getting them fitted this week :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Right Right Right!!!!! I have just heard some more news on the lupo........ :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: since dealing with the garage they got pissed off with my fella going in asking questions on what they changed ect, so we took it to another garage where my fella gets bits sprayed up on his car. He knows a guy who has really good wheel alignment equipment. Dropped the car off and he said everything is messed up, nothing is right! he said the track looks too short.

I mentioned we changed the ball joints to make it even wider - but he said it still looks like it needs to go more!

So it looks like were going to have to buy new VW lower arms! total spent so far nearly £1k!!! trying to find whats wrong! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Why does the track need to go wider? To get the camber correct?

The GTI uses the same part number wishbones as a std Lupo, Only the 3L seems to have different ones?

lol - new genuine vw lower arms turned up yesterday - the guy is going to have a look to see if they are any different, most of you have already said they are all the same..... but hopefully something will show.

My bf went to see the guy who is doing the tracking and from what I gather, he said nothing is lining up correctly. We asked just to get adjust it so basically I could drive the car! but he said I would do if I could but the front track is too close together (narrow) it need to be made wider. SO.........

The motor factor where the lower arms came from sometime get things wrong (part numbers etc...) so hopefully they might be wrong!

If not its going to be a source of elimination!

I am sorry for the nagging that has been going on in this thread, we have got the car now running on standard suspension and tracked up fine - the guy who tracked it said the track rod ends are slightly short for some reason? only catching a few threads on the rack. But is drivable

We are now looking into the lower brackets on other coilovers to see if there is a difference, so if people with GTI's and have coilovers could you please please measure the length of the bracket and the standard strut too see the difference.

Has it had new track rods? I don't see why they can't just unwind the track rods a bit more like you do when adjusting the tracking?

What exactly do you want measuring, can you explain a bit better? I've got standard GTI suspension and a set of Weitec coilovers kicking about so could measure for you...

Edited by jon_273