1.0's for Motorways?

64 SPLIT

I currently drive a 60 mile round trip to work in my TDI Passat estate, with the cruise control set at 60mph to maximise fuel economy which usually returns a healthy 55-62mpg (I'm in no rush to get to work! :coffee: ).

As I'm doing so much mileage, I'm looking at buying a Lupo to give the old wagon a rest a few days a week, but with a limited budget (which probably rules out the SDI) I'm probably looking at either 1.0's or a 1.4 / 1.4S.

I only live about 2 miles from the motorway so the vast majority of the trip is all relatively flat dual carriageway, so acceleration/speed isn't that much of an issue, so which one would you guys recommend for best MPG's / reliability / my grandad-esque style of driving? What are the 1.0's like on a motorway?

I've searched the forum for MPG / fuel consumption topics, but most seem to cover the 1.4's and GTI's and overall mileage to a tank :huh:

As the others have said, SDI is the way forward!

They are not that expensive and will be the most economical out of the whole lupo range.

They can cruise at 60/70/80mph no problem while returning you 50+mpg (depending on your driving stlye and right foot!)

well I've got my eye on a 1.7 SDI with approx. 130k on the clock, it's had a rebuilt gearbox, which I've come across a few with this - I'm assuming it's a common problem(?)

I'm assuming that if it's anything like the rest of the VW diesel engines it'll go on forever as long as it's well serviced.

Is there anything else I should look out for? Not fussed about bodywork - rust isn't a problem cos it's gonna be a rat anyway.

I would definitely recommend a diesel for your needs.

The only thing that springs to mind about the SDI is that it suffers from the pedal box problem, so check there is no creaking when you operate the clutch and that all the gears go in smoothly. Also check the brake and clutch pedal are level with each other.

Another point to note is that if you can find one registered post March 2001 ('Y' plate or newer) then it will be £30 a year road tax, rather than the £200 pre March 2001 models will cost.

I would definitely recommend a diesel for your needs.

The only thing that springs to mind about the SDI is that it suffers from the pedal box problem, so check there is no creaking when you operate the clutch and that all the gears go in smoothly. Also check the brake and clutch pedal are level with each other.

Another point to note is that if you can find one registered post March 2001 ('Y' plate or newer) then it will be £30 a year road tax, rather than the £200 pre March 2001 models will cost.

It's had a rebuilt gearbox so I'd like to think that the clutch will be alright. Is the pedal box difficult to replace if it fails?

Unfortunately the SDI I've seen is a '99 plate - suppose I can't have everything :rolleyes:

Quite a big job if you do it yourself. The part is cheap but it's time consuming to replace so labour charges would be high. I'll probably be fine though so don't let me put you off!

Quite a big job if you do it yourself. The part is cheap but it's time consuming to replace so labour charges would be high. I'll probably be fine though so don't let me put you off!

Aslong as you're allright eh? :D

well it's gonna be a second car so I can take as much time as I need to replace the pedal box if it needs doing and just use my Passat whilst it's being done.

just want to get modding now!

• 9 months later...

My 1.4s will cruise at 75mph at 3k rpm, it gets pretty good mpg if I behave me self behind the wheel :lol:

my 1.4 sport sits at 2.5k at 70mph ;)

Surely these are porkies. My sport does 60 at 3k rpm!