Front License Plate size

DarkStryder360

I have been wandering what kind of license plates are actually legal on other cars, because I have seen many Jap motors with smaller front plates. Are they legal on German cars or do they get away with it because they're "import" (was an import dealership).

There is also a Renault Clio bopping about Plymouth too with smaller front plates.

Then I googled small UK plate, found this:

crop%20car%20small%20plate.jpg

License plate? Where are you from, Yanky Boy!? :P

Basically it has to be the standard size. You can have it shorter if you have less characters, as long as you have the minimum border around the outside of the plate and the letters are still the same size and distance apart.

Imported cars can have smaller plates if the recess isn't big enough to fit a full sized UK one in, but these sizes are strictly regulated as well, they can't just have it whatever size they like.

So unless you buy a 5 digit plate or something, you're stuck with standard size.

That plate is illegal. All non imports must display the proper sized font and must have a white background. The number plate should also display a small number on the bottom right. But the law doesn't say how big the white or yellow background has to be, so if you have the correct font style and size you can display a personalised plate such as a 'A 1' on small(width) plate.

Imports can however display square plates. The font still has to be correct.

Your number plate should show the correct:

• character height - 79 millimetres
  • character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
  • character stroke - 14 millimetres
  • space between characters - 11 millimetres
  • space between groups - 33 millimetres
  • top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
  • space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

As long as the above criteria is met, the plate can be any size!

I have a Japanese front rub strip on my Bora. 330mm wide numberplate fitted instead of the standard 420mm wide numberplate. 100% Legal.

n7shrub.jpg

Edited by nfbr

Boy at my work got a front plate on hix vx 220 that must be at least half as small as the top pic, he has no problems with it.

Yes, nobody is saying one won't get away with a smaller one, but the question was: What is legal.

• 6 months later...