How's far the gear let you go...

LupoGTiNAB

This isn't a bragging thread about how fast I've gone or how fast my mate has gone in a Lupo GTi but I just want to clarify with other GTi's owners (for the benefit and to prove wrong, a member claiming to have hit a speed that the standard Lupo GTi gearbox just doesn't let you do). I do however totally understand if this thread is locked straight away.

Here is goes,

Would you agree that each gear has a speed that you just can't go past simply because there's no more rev's left in that gear, even if you were travelling down bank you'd still do the same speed as if you were going up bank at top rev's in that gear.

Right I think that clears this up without breaking the forum rules but like I said I understand if it's locked but if it is, would the moderator (before locking it) just add a reply to the question. Cheers

A perfectly reasonable question, let's hope it remains a perfectly reasonable thread.

The top end of a GTI by the book is 127mph. This isn't necessarily where the rev limiter is in top gear, but it's probably near there.

The reality is that the speedometer in most cars (unless calibrated) overreads by a percentage, therefore it's pretty useless in this kind of situation, and may well read 140mph (which is wrong).

GPS will give a more accurate reading - and the top limit might be stretched with factors like a downhill gradient / prevailing wind etc.

The 127mph is likely to be a physical limit on a flat road, a point at which the power given cannot overcome drag to go any faster. As mentioned, this is unlikely to be at the rev limit, as peak power occurs slightly before that point.

HTH

Would you agree that each gear has a speed that you just can't go past simply because there's no more rev's left in that gear, even if you were travelling down bank you'd still do the same speed as if you were going up bank at top rev's in that gear.

Yes, you can't have infinite speed in a gear. As thats why you have a rev limiter, other wise your engine would blow. You may travel a few mph faster downhill, due to gravity

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16938

Is this was you mean you are after?

thank you for your answer, it's exactally what I was trying to explain to forsh21, he claimed he went all the way and past the top book of the speed of the Lupo GTi, with 4 people in . Which in reality and experience of driving on tracks, just isn't possible because even going down bank there's no more rev's left in a standard engine for it to continue to gain speed(in my experience past 132mph on the clock but like I've explained and you've also said, that's probably not even true speed due to the clocks again like you've said always read slightly faster anyway, especially when doing higher speeds.

thanks 99hjhm, some "true speed" time trialing too. That's great.

ALSO TO BE HONEST I'D LIKE THIS THREAD TO BE LOCKED BEFORE THE INEVITABLE BRAGGING STARTS, I THINK MY QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED MORE THAN ADEQUATELY AND DON'T THINK THERE'S ANYMORE POINT IN LETTING IT RUN... CHEERS.

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

The speedo's aren't accurate, as you get faster they get more inaccurate.

Wheel and tyre size also play a part.

Book speed of 127mph - is that off the speedo or GPS? If it's GPS then allowing 10% speed inaccuracy you could see an indicated 140mph on the clocks.

When iv had my sat nav on (this is with my new wheels design 90's) my speedo for example is reading 35mph and the sat nav is reading 30-31mph but thats with my new wheels. after reading what other members have put then that could be the reason why it was reading at nearly 140mph. As far as i know my lupo is standard bar from the air filter which isnt gunna make that much difference if any at all.

My rev limiter is set to 7250 and the gearbox is a 6 speed, ive noticed that its basically double the rpm reading. for example 30 on the rpm clock (3000Rpm) and your going about 60mph.

My car should be geared with the rev limiter to go off the clocks, but i dont know if it actually does.

John

Your not the first person to say they have had their GTI off the clock, same with Polo GTI people. Not planning on trying, but the speedo is alot more out than I thought, without going silly speed.

Defcon5: I think it's the maxinum speed achieved over a set distance.

Back to the original question, what you say is true, however one point to note is the rev limiter works electronically rather than mechanically, so missing a gear when changing up may result in the engine revving past the limiter. Obviously this is not what happened in the topic you are getting at, but I just wanted to mention that a standard engine could rev past the red line (usually by mistake).

Defcon5: I think it's the maxinum speed achieved over a set distance.

Back to the original question, what you say is true, however one point to note is the rev limiter works electronically rather than mechanically, so missing a gear when changing up may result in the engine revving past the limiter. Obviously this is not what happened in the topic you are getting at, but I just wanted to mention that a standard engine could rev past the red line (usually by mistake).

I can't see that there would be any way to limit mechanically. The above would only happen if you accidentally changed down (which would be fairly hard to do) at high revs. If you do this, it is actually logged on the ECU.

Obviously it's not possible to accidentally change down in to top gear ;)

And im not lying

As my PM's said to you, I have no doubt that the speedo probably read that but was just wanting to explain that in reality the standard GTi just can't reach those speeds.

Does anyone know how manufacturers test top speeds? Is it over a certain length or road or anything?

I honestly think they work it out mathmatically. Always seems to be the case when Top Gear mention top speeds on their show.

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

It's possible to force any engine to over rev by changing down at the wrong time, but it's not nice when that happened.

A friend misshifted down to 3rd rather than 5th. Blew his engine straight away. Took it back under warranty, big investigation. ECU logged 13,000RPM before it blow so they refused the warranty work.

My mate bazil has had about 145 out of his polo gti with a catback bastuck and with his rear seats removed but like everybody is saying clock speed is more than likely wrong although its does keep up with our other m8s r32