Black GTi..orange peel paint normal?

rh203

My GTi's paintwork seems to have an orange peel paint effect. I've had the usual mechanics itching to suck in air and tell me itd been resprayed. Is this normal for black GTi's oreven GTI's in general or is it the sign of a spray job?? What could I check?

all cars have orange peal from manufacture, its just how the the clearcoat is applyed. you only notice the peal effect on dark colours. the paint will look alot flatter on the bumpers as they wont be painted by a machine and generaly clearcoat flows round the curves more.

To remedy the peal effect you would have to flat the full pannel and machine polish the car but if you have never picked up a polisher before you cud be quit lethal to your paint ie burning throught the paint and generally making a mess lol

in other words leave it to the pros (me) lol

I asked the same question about mine when i was down with my painter.

This is the answer he gave me.

Basically, the base colour under the clear coat is a water based paint, and when it dries it doesnt actually completly dry. So the colour actually moves about under the clear coat creating an orange peel effect under cold conditions, as the base colour is more flexable than the harder clearcoat.

But in direct sunlight and warmth you will find that the paint actually looks smoother as the base colour expands ever so slightly under the hard clearcoat skin which straightens out the clearcoat enough to make it look smooth.

He seemd to know what he was on about, and it did make sence as thats what it does. Dunno if its 100% correct though?

John

best to use compound head with either g6 or g3(if youre not confedent i wud reccomend g6 not as harsh) and to finish off with a black mop finishing head use g10 or any other finishing compound (3m finesit)

parts of it is correct lol but the bit about the base not dry isnt correct, cus if the base wasnt dry it would cause many other problems down the line wen applying the laquer and even after. orange peal down to how the claer coat is applyed and wot gun setup you have, ie if you get closer to the pannel your guna get a flatter finish but run a high risk of it running away lol

Basically, the base colour under the clear coat is a water based paint, and when it dries it doesnt actually completly dry. So the colour actually moves about under the clear coat creating an orange peel effect under cold conditions, as the base colour is more flexable than the harder clearcoat.

But in direct sunlight and warmth you will find that the paint actually looks smoother as the base colour expands ever so slightly under the hard clearcoat skin which straightens out the clearcoat enough to make it look smooth.

He seemd to know what he was on about, and it did make sence as thats what it does. Dunno if its 100% correct though?

John

I think he is correct, but maybe not what fully causes the orange peal from the factory, it's just the way the paint is done at VW, no hand prep between primer and base coat. It is overcome on a show car, once the car is lacquered and baked off, it can then be flatted down and lacqured again and then again if desired. That will leave you with just an uneven clearcote which can be then flatted down before polishing.

You see on Detailing World where detailers do full paint correction by first flatting down the panels with very fine grades before polishing... They can measure the paint thickness, and know what there doing... Not something I would want to try myself.

Still get orange peal with solvent base coats, might not be as bad though, have to ask the painter at work.

A good machine polish might make it better(I've tried, and a polished panel seems to make it look worse), but as far as I know wont get rid of it... Casper knows alot more than me on that though

Yeah, my sister had a new mini, someone ran into her and the bonnet and a panel was reaprayed, that finish was spotless but really showed off the orange peel on the rest of the car.

As said, most GTi's I've seen have fairly poor orange peel but nothing like newer BMW's which are horrendous.

To get rid you're never going to remedy 'medium' amounts of orange peel with machining, the panels need sanded then machined.

Not something worth doing on a daily driver IMO as you compromise clearcoat thickness meaning it's more likely to fade and allow UV damage to the underlying colour coat.