Coilover fitting tomorrow ... tracking question

ry203

Hi, I'm fitting my Ap coilovers tomorrow and am a bit concerned about the tracking and wheel alignment etc after I set them up. I have been told to mark the position of a particular bolt so that it can be put back in the same place afterwards. Obviously with it being a Sunday I can't get them properly setup but want them as close as possible to allow me to drive it until I can get it to a garage. Any suggestions?

Which bolts / setting should I pay particular attention to?

Hi, I'm fitting my Ap coilovers tomorrow and am a bit concerned about the tracking and wheel alignment etc after I set them up. I have been told to mark the position of a particular bolt so that it can be put back in the same place afterwards. Obviously with it being a Sunday I can't get them properly setup but want them as close as possible to allow me to drive it until I can get it to a garage. Any suggestions?

Which bolts / setting should I pay particular attention to?

I would say set the camber as far positive as you can.. (So the wheel sticks out at the top) It wont cause there wont be that much adjustment. Dont adjust the tracking.

Then get it checked.

Edit: Camber is set on the two bolts at the bottom of the front strut, pull the hub out towards you before you tighten the bolts.

Edited by 99hjhm

Foxhunters can do camber adjustment but I don't like the people that work there. They're rude and ignorant and get my back right up. Chances are you'll go (can't book an appointment), wait 45 mins, get your car in. Track rods will need heat. They'll windge on. Ask you to come back at 5-5:30pm. Then the owner will do it and be a proper grumpy **** about the whole thing like you've asked him to drown his newly born child.

North East Tyres and exhausts can do it too but they'll say you can't and you'll have to argue with them till you're blue in the face then they'll do it. Ask them not to take your car for a test drive as you don't appreciate them ragging your car down the road. Also load up on all the free hot drinks they let you have.

my mates fitting my KW V1 Inox coillies with solid AST top mounts. Im sure he knows what hes doing ;) BUT :D is there anything i should tell him to make the setup easier? ill take it to another garage after so they can check its all ok. Its just hes putting them on at mates rates, an im a cheap skate lol

All fitted. Pulled out the top of both front hubs as far as i could and the camber is still crazy... Poking in at the top. Is there anywhere good in newcastle that can set geometry ?? Cheers ryan

You need to file the top bolt holes on the struts a bit so that you can pull the hubs out more. 2-3mm of hole elongation will sort it out.

Adjusted it today. Raised it up a bit at the front and dropped it more at the back and the camber is a hell of alot better. Ill put some pics up to see if it looks the right height to people. For interest, how high is the standard setup from floor to the highest arch point?

Comfort wise it doesn't feel too different but i think it needs to go

lower at the front still.

Also out of interest...has anyone chromed any bathursts before on a black gti? Expensive? :)

Cheers for the help

North East Tyres and exhausts can do it too but they'll say you can't and you'll have to argue with them till you're blue in the face then they'll do it. Ask them not to take your car for a test drive as you don't appreciate them ragging your car down the road. Also load up on all the free hot drinks they let you have.

That sounds exactly like my experience of getting the tracking done :lol:

I guess all tires/tracking places are like this

• 2 weeks later...

No/Yes.

Going to get mine done in the summer when they are off the car.

sure casper did it?

There a bit of a pain to look after them. But aslong as you clean them regularly with a microfibre and very hot soapy water they keep there finish up quite well for a good ammount of time.

I polished them once every few weeks but topped the sealant up on them every week when i washed the car.

Mine have lasted the winter, but every time they got the salt/dirt from the roads on them, i had to clean them straight away.

Im selling them by the way..... ;)

John