cleaning rims

howdy folk, looking for suggestions on what to use for removing coarse brake dust on the bbs ra's. What chemicals to be using, works best and experience etc?

cheers

Andy

What do you have at the minute?

cheers cafcross will look into that, I'm usually refurbing with wet / dry fine sand grades but obv prefer not to do that too often as eventually go through the rims, then a metal poilsh with a.glym.

i found that cillit bang worked a treat on a set of my old wheels that and a stiff brush

See I was thinking that myself mate, but wasn't too sure if they be too harsh chemical and corrode having seen how good it is for stubborn dirt on tiles etc

I would use an acid-free wheel cleaner, such as autosmart smart wheels, valetpro bilberry, Autoglym custom wheel cleaner to name a few.

I usually spray wheel cleaner liberally all over the wheel and then agitate with a swissvax brush on the front and a EZ detail brush for the back of the wheel.

what ever you do do not use TFR, i got it recomended and it will make your paint go dull as hell, its only good for polished alloy but after cleaning polished alloy with tfr you need to get the metal polish out lol

TFR is traffic film remover if you were wondering, used for cleaning commercial vehicles, vans, trucks etc

• 2 weeks later...

Gave a shot over the weekend yesterday having bought megs all wheel cleaner, premium blue rim cleaner and car-lack wheel cleaner, 4hours seen some decent results with a bit of shine and polish back into them again (the prem. rim cleaner works wonders), however still noticeably caked on dust and streaks in the edges of the rim, no photos of them as of yet but will post if i can tomorrow, might try the clay bar or 'muc off' cleaner trick next and see, can certainly recommend the rim cleaner (£7 or so @ cleanyourcar.co.uk) cheap stuff with outstanding results, however my rims are indeed beyond this seeing as wetsanding proved difficult even.

Here are some after photos from last week, a major noticeable difference as they were covered beforehand, the fronts have still a bit of work to do so trying the billberry wheel cleaner tomorrow:

(fronts)

PHTO0439.jpg

PHTO0440.jpg

PHTO0441.jpg

(back)

PHTO0443.jpg

PHTO0444.jpg

I use Bilberry, does amazing stuff, and can be easily diluted, I've also heard very good things about Dodo Mellow Yellow, as with most of their products, I doubt you'd find a bad comment.

Also, always try to seal your wheels with a specific wheel sealent, don't use wax, it's pretty pointless.