Sponsorship

blacklupos

I have been driving a Lupo 1.4S for the past year and now the insurance has charmed down a bit I am thinking of buying a 1.4 sport and then moving onto the GTI. I am slowly modifying my current 1.4S and plan to keep all the standard items (wheels, suspension etc) so I can sell the car as standard and transfer all the upgraded items onto the next Lupo.

My question is are there any companies out there than trade items for advertising space on the car?

We all know how valuable advertisements are, I would assume smaller companies would go for this type of thing as it would be a way to get fairly cheap exposure.

Unless your a show queen, or in magazines on a regular basis then the shop wouldnt always be advertising to their demographic, so its not always the best advertisment for them.

I'll be blunt, it's not gonna happen. I've been sponsored before in a past hobby, so I'm speaking from experience.

Firstly, this is massively unusual in this 'hobby'. Only serious big money and well known cars will ever receive sponsorship. Cars used for development is another matter...

Secondly, what are you offering this company? You shouldn't be thinking what they can offer you, but what YOU can offer them. You currently have an idea in your head and no reputation, effectively, your CV is blank. A company would be absolutely stupid to even consider sponsoring you. It took me years and years of hard work before I got approached by a couple of companies to sponsor me, and when you do get that sponsorship, it ain't all it's cracked up to be, yeah you get some discount bits, but you become a walking billboard for that company, and you have to meet their demands. Imagine if you get all these bits, and the car stickered up advertising the company, you then blat about your local area with people laughing at you - that companies rep goes downhill fast. It's seriously hard work, I packed it in after a season of being sponsored and went back to paying full price for all my parts.

Personally, if you want a nice show car, go work harder and earn more money to dump into it, or get your hands dirty and DIY. You don't wanna turn your hobby into a job. :)

i agree with liam, its usualy very unlikely to get sponsored for something, specially for a car. i have been sponsored on a couple of occasions for a hobby to, currently been sponsored by my own work for playing roller hockey for great britan, but benefits are next to minimal!although alot of its obv paid by Olympic fund, gota pay for some the stuff. got a sponsorship through the local newspaper last year for playing ice hockey for north of England, got a picture in the paper and that was all!(suppose from that i did get sponsorship of council though) might as well just work that bit harder get bit extra cash and pay for it self..

Yeah, like I said it was a long shot and just had the idea in my head.

As for what would the person be offering the company, the answer is simply advertisement space on an fairly unusual modified car. I have started up several small online businesses and I know from experience that one of the hardest things to do is getting people aware that your business exists. There are obviously more traditional methods of advertising but what I found worked for me was finding ways to advertise that was unsaturated and more easily achievable. With the car being used on a daily basis it is going to be seen by a fair amount of people (admitidly may not reach the companies target market) but perhaps with an agreement to attend a 'x' amount of shows a year could improve this?

As I said, just an idea :coffee:

Do you really wanna be driving a billboard?

A car used in advertising has to stand out and be noticed, and I'm sorry but a Lupo is not the car for that. Unless you go for massively outlandish and garish mods, it won't get attention, and then would you wanna drive around in that?

i agree with liam, its usualy very unlikely to get sponsored for something, specially for a car. i have been sponsored on a couple of occasions for a hobby to, currently been sponsored by my own work for playing roller hockey for great britan, but benefits are next to minimal!although alot of its obv paid by Olympic fund, gota pay for some the stuff. got a sponsorship through the local newspaper last year for playing ice hockey for north of England, got a picture in the paper and that was all!(suppose from that i did get sponsorship of council though) might as well just work that bit harder get bit extra cash and pay for it self..

Yeah the benefits are often crap. The only real benefit I got was extra advice and a bigger knowledge pool for using the equipment I did. I wasn't high enough in the food chain to be developing it, but all feedback was obviously noted and passed along. The daft thing is when I quit, I still got the same advice cos I was still pally with the team drivers!

Yeah the benefits are often crap. The only real benefit I got was extra advice and a bigger knowledge pool for using the equipment I did. I wasn't high enough in the food chain to be developing it, but all feedback was obviously noted and passed along. The daft thing is when I quit, I still got the same advice cos I was still pally with the team drivers!

yeah i agree about crap benefits, like having picture in paper then a paragraph what its about! iv only been sponsored for developing stuff once, and to be fair, was quite nerving experience when the equipment wasnt worth using and sitting in front of a room like 30 40 people who think this products dogs ****, when its awful and trying tell them that is abit nerv racking ha!

Well I was sponsored for racing R/C cars so now and again I got new parts to test, 9 times out of 10 by the time they got to people on my level they were guaranteed for release but you sort of had first try, just to get a good set up using the new parts before they go on sale. It was hard to say that you couldn't get something to work, especially if another guy in the team did, it looks really bad on you, but then try and account for driving styles, tracks, etc.

Most of my days of being sponsored was simply using a companies parts/accessories though, I pretty much had free reign on other stuff, which suited me fine as I could chop and change to what was most competitive, but when I got a drive with a team it was hard, as the car was pretty crap and you have to make the most of it, do well, and smile when you don't, and say it's good. :lol:

if your alright driving...like liam said...a billboard, then i would approach a few places - why not.

cant dissagree more that a lupo isnt a car to be noticed, i get a **** load of people looking at my car, of all ages, probably thinking wtf is that - but never the less people look

there are a few cars that do the same thing around my area, and so many people know of them, for example, theres one for an audio company and when ever mention of getting an install ect the car is mentioned and the person will get in contact with that company. if you can get it seen by the people who would be interested in it then of course it will work - even if it is a lupo. you just have to pursuade a company of that.

Make some phone calls i say :)

Well I was sponsored for racing R/C cars so now and again I got new parts to test, 9 times out of 10 by the time they got to people on my level they were guaranteed for release but you sort of had first try, just to get a good set up using the new parts before they go on sale. It was hard to say that you couldn't get something to work, especially if another guy in the team did, it looks really bad on you, but then try and account for driving styles, tracks, etc.

Most of my days of being sponsored was simply using a companies parts/accessories though, I pretty much had free reign on other stuff, which suited me fine as I could chop and change to what was most competitive, but when I got a drive with a team it was hard, as the car was pretty crap and you have to make the most of it, do well, and smile when you don't, and say it's good. :lol:

i was sponsored for ice hockey skates and sticks, although i have a tendancy to break a huge amount so the tests were pretty pointless!

I was sponsored for field hockey and got a tonne of free stuff quite a lot but that was because i was playing at a level where it would be noticed.

People do look at lupos but advertisers dont care about those people of all ages, they care about sales and demographics so a 5 year old and an 80 year old looking at your car wont exactly prompt them to drop their pants in excitement.

Racing cars get sponsorship and only very few show cars, but if they wanted it that bad then theyd just do it myself. They have more creativity and money than any of us could dream of. My mind wonders to a kenwood rocco with a reported 17k of ICE.

Bottom line is give it a go but dont be so suprised when you hear the phrase "Im out"

I was sponsored for field hockey and got a tonne of free stuff quite a lot but that was because i was playing at a level where it would be noticed.

i jus got discount at certain shop, when playing north of england, playing great britan now and don't get a thing! that rocco was in fast car few months back if i recal?

i jus got discount at certain shop, when playing north of england, playing great britan now and don't get a thing! that rocco was in fast car few months back if i recal?

Thats because i played "real" hockey lol...sorry i couldnt resist. It was some 6 years ago so would probably be different now with money the way it is.

Try doing what taxi's do and try to get people to buy advertising space on your car.

Failing that go to Domino's Pizza and get a job and you'll get money and a uniform too. I'm sure if you ask nicely they'll also let you put a sticker on your car.

cheek! how ever field hockey, "real hockey for girls!":P

Thats what i was waiting for lol, but if you want to mock a game full of girls in skirts and little tops rather than a tonne of plastic armour covering every inch of their body then feel free lol

Thats what i was waiting for lol, but if you want to mock a game full of girls in skirts and little tops rather than a tonne of plastic armour covering every inch of their body then feel free lol

that's actually a fair point! however:P there not actually that much padding compared to what people think for ice hockey, and roller hockey don't wear anything more than football and rugby player!