106 gti

josh_gti

having owned both i suppose it all boils down to what you want, the 106 'feels' faster as there is less comfort and noise reduction etc. however the lupo is a more smooth delivery of speed.

i sold my 106 GTi because i wanted something more modern and comfy for day to day driving. the lupo GTI was perfect for this.

if you are only using the car at weekends then stick to a 106. if 106's were better built with all the mod cons, i would never have sold mine but unfortunately repair bills mounting up turned me over to the German engineering :lol:

in conclusion if i was to buy a 106 GTi or a lupo GTI again i would take into consideration how it would be used and when.

unfortunately repair bills mounting up turned me over to the German engineering :lol:

exactly. poor build quality and very dated now. its right what people say, you cant compare the two. the lupo gti is in a higher league

My mates 106 is a year an a half newer, yet the interior (and exterior i must say), look like something off a car from 1994!

The Lupos are fair better in qaulity, but i'd rather have a 106 GTI over a Lupo GTI, as i would go out to buy a 1.6 sporty hatch for the speed and rawness of it.

If i was to use the car for long journeys regulary, i'd much rather splash out on the Lupio.

To be honest, we could all do this ranting all day, but the fact of the matter is that people have different tastes in what cars they like, most people that i know have never touched a french car and never will, if you want a cheap, poorly built and less fun to drive Lupo GTi then get the 106 GTi, if you want a Lupo GTi then get one, at the end of the day its all about personal preference.

Cheers, James.

To be honest, we could all do this ranting all day, but the fact of the matter is that people have different tastes in what cars they like, most people that i know have never touched a french car and never will, if you want a cheap, poorly built and less fun to drive Lupo GTi then get the 106 GTi, if you want a Lupo GTi then get one, at the end of the day its all about personal preference.

Cheers, James.

Do you feel the need to say that because you're on a Lupo forum?

Yes, they are cheap, and French cars don't have the best reputation, but i find it far better to drive and more fun, which, at the end of the day, is all what driving is about (to some people).

Yeah but when frequent visits to the garage inhibit you from actually enjoying driving, the whole point of buying the cheap sardine tinned french surrender monkey is gone. Ive raked the **** out of my gti for 7k miles over 5 months and not one fault or problem. If you like throwing money into a bottomless pit, buy a Peugoet.

• Like 2

gti doesnt have pedal box, the 6 speed gearbox is very reliable and i havent had one sensor issue with the gti, touch wood :P

The reason i am saying that is because it is true, like i say, i have PERSONALLY driven both now and i PERSONALLY prefer the Lupo, but then again i PERSONALLY prefer the Polo GTi, so its not because i am on a Lupo forum it is just how i PERSONALLY feel about the matter and that is all i have to say, you can like whichever cars you want to, who cares what others think!!! :)

I don't even own a Lupo anymore, so once again i am not bias either!!!!

Cheers, James.

Flip me whats happened to this forum lol. Performance wise as a few have said there's very little difference, my mates got an xsi with a vts lump dropped in and there's nothing in it upto 80-90. I love the 106 for its rawness but for everyday driving I like the interior and refinement of my lupo. Dropped on coilies they're fun to drive.... just take a test drive of a lupo and see what you feel :)

Like i said before, people can like whatever they want to like, to me a car has to be four wheels and moves, but at the same time has to be fun to drive, i prefer the Polo GTi over the Lupo GTi mainly because i feel that it is more solid on the road, but others will argue the other way...you can't win nowadays!!!! :D

This forum is a Lupo forum though so is bound to have people go on the offensive when they read about other cars on a model specific forum, but not all the time, which is strange to me. Just seems to be Rovers and French cars that get the abuse. On a side note, i don't like French cars because i prefer VW's quality and safety, not because i hate them for no reason. I hope i have made myself clear on my views now.

Sorry to anyone i have offended in my posts, but that is the way i feel!!

Cheers, James.

Edited by s2000king

Yeah but when frequent visits to the garage inhibit you from actually enjoying driving, the whole point of buying the cheap sardine tinned french surrender monkey is gone. Ive raked the **** out of my gti for 7k miles over 5 months and not one fault or problem. If you like throwing money into a bottomless pit, buy a Peugoet.

All the people I know with Pug 106 GTi's and Saxo VTS', and thats quite a few since they are pretty damn popular round here, have sod all problems with them. Main problems tend to be the torsion bar and bushes when they are dropped, other than that the engines can take a right hammering as long as they are serviced and looked after properly. Although with it being a Pug, at least they cost absolutely sod all if something does go wrong! I think you may be generalising a bit!

If I wanted a fast, cheap, hot hatch, I would get a Pug 106 GTi. For the money they are a brilliant car. I'm not saying the Lupo is rubbish, but they are quite expensive for what they are - you could have two decent 106 GTi's for the price of one decent Lupo GTi :lol:

I guess that VW badge and the exclusivity/rarity comes at a price! :)

These kinda threads are endless but thought id ghet involved :D

It would seem the 106 is quicker.

0-60 times are a terrible way really of comparing performance. What race finishes at 60? your still gona be planted at 60. a 0-100mph time is a better indication. some cars 0-60 time is hindered greatly by not being able to hit 60 in 2nd gear.

found these stats out anyway, shows the 106 to only be a tad faster than the loop. granted the lupo is a 'nicer' car though. gets more respect on the road than a 106 id say.

15345_340370935426_511945426_10130596_4261708_n.jpg

Pretty darn equal id say, BHP per ton is identical which i find quite phenomenal and as you say i think the 0-100 is a better time to go on, but having driven both of them the Lupo feels quicker, but the extra noise of the Peugeot makes it sound quicker if you get my meaning.

Interesting.

Cheers, James.

French car interiors are shocking, and please quote me on this, I AM NOT JOKING THEY ARE TOTALLY DUMP. especially the 106. The interior styling is closer to a Nova than a modern day car and dashboard is made from horrible plastics. Its all personal preference and im gunna put it down how i see it. French cars have no class. again not a joke, saxos, 106's, 206's pure cheap vulgarity. Bring on the abuse cus i couldnt give a monkeys.

oh and to bring on the age old fight over 5 and 6 speed... the 6 speed close ratio means that no matter what corner you go round and at whatever speed there is always a more appropriate gear to keep it in the high rev range improving the overall drive. Read the reviews from professionals people, quoted on fifth gear "it was only when the six speed gearbox was put in the little lupo that it became an instant classic". exceleration from everyday driving speeds to illegal speeds is competently quicker with the six speed do ya research. :P

What a crock of ****, there are plenty of good French cars and several of them set the scene for hot hatches.

You don't buy a 106 rallye for it's looks or the interior, you're totally missing the point.

The car you have doesn't define whether or not you have class. You drive a VW, so what?

Regarding the 6 speed that is total BS as well. What's exceleration?

• Like 3

ive had a 106 rallye, yeah it rattled a bit but you get what you pay for and smiles per pound it fitted the bill perfectly. And maybe those rattles and its 90's boxy image gave it character?

Oh it had the gti engine in so going off stats and weights it would have been quicker than a lupo on paper.

A few things that have been said hit the nail on the head ( as whats posted directly above) i could have created almost 3 cars for the same money as 1 decent lupo gti.

• Like 1

im affraid all pugs of late are total tosh, citreons of late total tosh. Depends if your a teenage pubescent flid in which case a saxo with a snow plough on the front is right up your street. I dont know a single 30+ year old that owns a saxo or a pug 106. If they do then i will happily offend and say they are utter tools. Class comes with maturity. And i shan't generalize here cus i quite like the megane sports and the clio v6 for insanity, i dont mind 106 gti's but the fact is i dont want to be seen in one, sad i know but me, all my friends and all my colleagues at work look upon these retards with a snobbish disregard as they truly are shyte. A car is an extension of oneself and for me reflects you as a person and your character. Im just saying i dont want to be classed in that french rattle can pocket rocket category. I get spotty spastics coming up to me in town sayin their car is quicker than mine, well done congratulations, but its an MG ZR so you can shove that piece of **** up your arse. Same principles run true with the french affiliates, great fun to drive im sure, but personally i dont want to be 25 and driving one.

What a crock of ****, there are plenty of good French cars and several of them set the scene for hot hatches.

You don't buy a 106 rallye for it's looks or the interior, you're totally missing the point.

The car you have doesn't define whether or not you have class. You drive a VW, so what?

Regarding the 6 speed that is total BS as well. What's exceleration?

oh and if youre not buying a car for looks or the interior, you get a nissan pulsar or something REALLY fast. or even a glanza v is better than a saxo. Theres no point buying a half assed car. its either very fast or not. read the evo review of the 6 speed gti. Write to them and tell them its BS, oh and 5th gear and all the countless reviews saying 'if you get one, make sure its the 6 speed'. but no, you're right, they must all be wrong, plus what they know anyway these stupid car journo's.

Theres no point buying a half assed car. its either very fast or not. read the evo review of the 6 speed gti. Write to them and tell them its BS, oh and 5th gear and all the countless reviews saying 'if you get one, make sure its the 6 speed'. but no, you're right, they must all be wrong, plus what they know anyway these stupid car journo's.

Half assed car? That's your opinion. The Lupo is half arsed - it's not fast, it doesn't handle exceptionally well, the interior isn't great. And because it's a VW and relies heavily on the badge, as most VW's do, it's overpriced. A Pulsar is a totally different animal to a 106 Gti or a Lupo Gti, it's not comparable as it's not even in the same class. It's 4wd turbo for starters...

rather that than a citreon pug fan boy. i guess its just that i have money, so can afford to choose the more expensive better built cars :huh:

rather that than a citreon pug fan boy. i guess its just that i have money, so can afford to choose the more expensive better built cars :huh:

I have a GTi, doesn't make me any better than someone that drives a 106 or a Saxo. Just like someone driving an M3 doesn't make them better than me. What people decide to spend their money on is up to them, I'm not stupid enough to judge someone on what car they drive and make assumptions on their character. I know very wealthy people who drive 'cheap' cars because they just don't care. They'd rather spend the money on a nice suit or a new TV etc.

I don't make assumptions on your character and say you're a retard because you don't know what purpose or implications of the top mounts your buying is. You have the money, spend it on what you want.

Edited by richie.guy
  • Like 3