Lupo gti smells of egg!!

notsurereally

Well, you might want to check out your battery / the voltage it's getting.

If your battery is being overcharged it will make that smell, and it's worse as the battery's in the boot of the GTI.

Have you had a service lately, or done anything that might have damaged the alternator?... when I had my belt changed, I think one of the greesemonkeys knocked the alternator which resulted in it drastically overcharging the battery - I was trying to work out what the eggy smell was for ages. Eventually the battery let go whilst I was on the motorway, but fortunately it didn't explode and I was able to continue to my destination. Lots of lights flashing etc. No leakage from the battery either - which was very lucky according to the RAC, the last thing I'd want is a boot full of lead acid.

So... check the input voltage or get it checked, might save you a fair bit of hassle.

Checking the voltage takes no more than 60 seconds with the right equipment, changing the alternator however is a different kettle of fish (if it is that).

New pollen filter is fairly cheap as a service item, but my money's on the battery as it's not related to the blowers.

If I were you I wouldn't go too far until it's been checked out.

I have this - you can only smell egg when you come to a stop and set off again with mine.

I initially suspected the cat, but there is no smell coming from the exhaust, and the emissions are fine. Will have a good sniff of the battery next time I am out

Edited by Defcon5

I have this - you can only smell egg when you come to a stop and set off again with mine.

I initially suspected the cat, but there is no smell coming from the exhaust, and the emissions are fine. Will have a good sniff of the battery next time I am out

VW seem to agree about the alternator and the smell is sulphur. Booked in for tomorrow. :)

you can check the chage easy your self with a volt meter which you can get from any tool shop for £5ish... or just nip to a local garage or electrical car place and they will have one and tell them you want to quickly check the bat is getting charge.

basically you put on end of the volter meter to one side of the bat and other wire from meter to the other side of bt and set meter to volts (not amps) with the dial on front normally to a setting around 50v (each meter has different setting). you should see a voltage across the batery of 12v is 11v 10v is fine etc then if you start the motor running and you will see this increase as the engine is reved.... im not sure what the voltage reading should be for a batery as ive never checked an over charge just to see if its getting charge but someone might know.