Programing a GTI remote central locking key????

hi i changed the battery in my key fob today very quickly in an attempt not to lose the programing but alas it now wont work. the light flashes when button is pressed but nothing happens. it unlocks the doors manually and starts the engine but wont open or lock it remotely. according to the handbook it says to press the unlock button on it then unlock the car manually and it should restore it but this doesnt work either. im a bit confused so if any one can shed some light on the topic so i dont have to go to the stealership that would be great.

If you have two keys...

PROGRAMMING! :

1. Turn on ignition with a working key and wind your window down as a precaution.

2. Manually lock drivers door with your new key

3. Press unlock on the remote you wish to tune in (new key in drivers door), wait six seconds, press unlock again. youll hear a blip.

4. Now open the drivers door and remove the key from the ignition.

Your remote should now work.

alright mate yes i hae two keys one which still works as a remote, the other with the battery changed that doesnt. the one with the battery changed will open doors manually and start the ignition but just wont do anything remotely. the light will flash when buttons are pressed but nothing more. i tried what you just said about 10 times with no sucess so im truelly baffled. i heard no blip or anything. also how am i meat to open the drivers door if i just locked it in your sequence manually and ive pressed the unlock button twice with no effect? do i pull the internal handle twice or unloc manually and then remove the key or do i press the unlock button on the door??? confused.com

alright mate yes i hae two keys one which still works as a remote, the other with the battery changed that doesnt. the one with the battery changed will open doors manually and start the ignition but just wont do anything remotely. the light will flash when buttons are pressed but nothing more. i tried what you just said about 10 times with no sucess so im truelly baffled. i heard no blip or anything. also how am i meat to open the drivers door if i just locked it in your sequence manually and ive pressed the unlock button twice with no effect? do i pull the internal handle twice or unloc manually and then remove the key or do i press the unlock button on the door??? confused.com

If I remember, I'll pm you my mobile number after and you can give me a ring.

Im off into town now to get my iphone sent off for repair and will drop by the stealership on way home. god i fkin hate that place. anyway thanks for your help guys ill let you know if this gets resolved. cheers

do what 99hjhm said, however instead of pressing the button, waiting six seconds then pressing it again

try pressing it three or four times with 3-4 second gaps in between. Then see what happens.

Alternatively, the battery could be goosed, or you something could have got damaged

fkin fk fk fka its not fkin workin aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. this is doin my swede in now. took it to vw and as usual they were as useful as a c*ck flavoured lolly pop. no idea if what it says in the handbook doesnt work. just got the feeling as per fkin usual that murrays vw in plymouth couldnt give a fkin sht about anything apart from selling cars. bell ends. soooo cheesed off. i dont understand how i could have messed up the circuit i didnt touch it and its the size of a penny so what could i have done to it to mess it up. the old battery still worked its just the range was very bad so i put the old one back in and that still didnt work so the new battery is fine. plus the light flashes so its definately getting power. a guy at seat opened it up from behind closed doors first to check what battery it took but then said to me he didnt want to take the battery out incase it needs reprograming so i said fine and as the mrs was in the car i didnt need to use the remote i just drove home jumped indoors and replaced the battery then again without using the remote to lock the car. im begining to wonder how long that fat pie eating bstad left it open when looking for a matching battery. could a fauirly long time fully reset the signal frequency? also how did that tit not realise that just by opening it he had disconnected the power to circuit board??? so i take it im pretty screwed then?

Sorry I cant help with your key problem, but im just wondering in the sequence mentioned above why it says open the window as a precaution, because when you turn the key to lock it shuts the window.

Sorry I cant help with your key problem, but im just wondering in the sequence mentioned above why it says open the window as a precaution, because when you turn the key to lock it shuts the window.

It'll only shut the window if you turn the key to the lock position and hold it in the lock position.

It doesn't shut the window if you simply lock it and remove the key.

fkin fk fk fka its not fkin workin aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. this is doin my swede in now. took it to vw and as usual they were as useful as a c*ck flavoured lolly pop. no idea if what it says in the handbook doesnt work. just got the feeling as per fkin usual that murrays vw in plymouth couldnt give a fkin sht about anything apart from selling cars. bell ends. soooo cheesed off. i dont understand how i could have messed up the circuit i didnt touch it and its the size of a penny so what could i have done to it to mess it up. the old battery still worked its just the range was very bad so i put the old one back in and that still didnt work so the new battery is fine. plus the light flashes so its definately getting power. a guy at seat opened it up from behind closed doors first to check what battery it took but then said to me he didnt want to take the battery out incase it needs reprograming so i said fine and as the mrs was in the car i didnt need to use the remote i just drove home jumped indoors and replaced the battery then again without using the remote to lock the car. im begining to wonder how long that fat pie eating bstad left it open when looking for a matching battery. could a fauirly long time fully reset the signal frequency? also how did that tit not realise that just by opening it he had disconnected the power to circuit board??? so i take it im pretty screwed then?

Do you have no patience :rolleyes:

I would be worried if I had de-locked but you haven't.

Why not replace the key with a flip key... Will cost about £40.

Foxy.... The window only shuts if you hold the key in the locked position doesn't it?? Edit: Too slow!

Edited by 99hjhm

Well i guess i misunderstood the instructions then, ive programed 2 flip keys using that method and thought I was supposed to hold the key in the locked position. Luckily its worked perfectly both times so i havnt locked the other key in the car.

Do you have no patience :rolleyes:

I would be worried if I had de-locked but you haven't.

Why not replace the key with a flip key... Will cost about £40.

Foxy.... The window only shuts if you hold the key in the locked position doesn't it?? Edit: Too slow!

Not patient at all mate im terrible lol. I looked at flip keys on ebay. They are apparently 100% authentic vw and need the key blade cut. But im completely oblivious as to how i would go about getting it done. When you say, it will only cost 40 how, where and what do you mean? How do i go about doing this?

OK

1. Check the frequency on your key.. Look at the side either 433 or 434 hz

2. Get a key off eBay.. If yours is 434, get this one.. Look for a AH suffix part numbered key

Link

3. Find somebody to cut it.... I would try this...

Link

4. Fit the transponder from one of your keys into the flip key... (There is a guide in the how to section)

5.Program with the instructions above.

3 button flip key will also unlock the boot on a GTI.

Any questions just ask.

Edited by 99hjhm

Well i guess i misunderstood the instructions then, ive programed 2 flip keys using that method and thought I was supposed to hold the key in the locked position. Luckily its worked perfectly both times so i havnt locked the other key in the car.

You can pull the key out to press the buttons as long as its locked when you do press the buttons

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem with the spare key to my GTI. Light flashes etc and it'll open the doors manually too, just the remote won't work.

just wondering if this issue got resolved, and if so could you please shed some light onto it for me too?

Cheers guys!

• 2 years later...

At last ! Success in programing the remote lock/unlock on a new key fob, thank you - this is the first thread where it's made clear that it's your working (old) key that goes in the ignition (I thought it was the new key in the ignition lock, because it had to be near the immobiliser sensor for the programing to work). Got two keys for my car again :-)

I got the immobiliser chip done by a local auto-locksmith sometime ago, so it would start the car - but was frustrating not having the remote unlocking working. Also, just £3 for Timpsons to cut a key blank, bought off ebay - be aware some Timpsons might say they cannot cut it (the first one I tried said this), but the Chester branch could not be more helpful and did it straight away.

• 11 years later...
On 9/19/2009 at 2:12 PM, 99hjhm said:

If you have two keys...

PROGRAMMING! :

1. Turn on ignition with a working key and wind your window down as a precaution.

2. Manually lock drivers door with your new key

3. Press unlock on the remote you wish to tune in (new key in drivers door), wait six seconds, press unlock again. youll hear a blip.

4. Now open the drivers door and remove the key from the ignition.

Your remote should now work.

15 years on and this is still a very useful post - have just recoded a Skoda branded fob of the era to work with my Lupo! 

• Like 1