warning raceland manifold!

rosscarbry

i have had the raceland manifold on my car for just over a year now and in scotland the past couple of weeks where i stay was really bad with rain and the puddles were huge and when i went through them in my car it cracked my manifold 5 times just at the point where the 2 comes in to the 1 so just to warn people to stay away from big puddles when the mani is hot as you will need to buy a new mani! cheers ross

raceland manifold are made from 308 stainless its classed as poormans stainless, 316 is prue and alot hardwaring and wouldn't have as many issue with but due to cost thats why they don't make it out of 316 and make it out of 308 to keep cost low....

i have had the raceland manifold on my car for just over a year now and in scotland the past couple of weeks where i stay was really bad with rain and the puddles were huge and when i went through them in my car it cracked my manifold 5 times just at the point where the 2 comes in to the 1 so just to warn people to stay away from big puddles when the mani is hot as you will need to buy a new mani! cheers ross

yeah the weathers been **** that last cupple weeks lol :lol:

raceland manifold are made from 308 stainless its classed as poormans stainless, 316 is prue and alot hardwaring and wouldn't have as many issue with but due to cost thats why they don't make it out of 316 and make it out of 308 to keep cost low....

It would have made little difference, even 316 would crack due to thermal shock. Are you sure they make it out of 308 and not 304?

I didn't think they would have made it out of 308 thats only really used as weld infill as far as i know.

Stainless steel has a greater thermal expansion than regular steel so in that sense mild steel is better. 304 and 316 are not hugely different

other than in there corrosion properties.

The welds are fine, but any stainless steel doesn't like being hot and cold, so the weaker grade used will defiantly dislike it.

Wrap the manifold with exhaust wrap, this will help keep the chill of the water from the stainless.

The welds are fine, but any stainless steel doesn't like being hot and cold, so the weaker grade used will defiantly dislike it.

Wrap the manifold with exhaust wrap, this will help keep the chill of the water from the stainless.

it was in exhaust heat wrap! the welds are fine there was 5 fine cracks on the two tubes in between the welds of joints 2-1! just a cheap manifold cant really expect lots of greats things about it ! cheers ross

Dude, you just shock loaded the metal, what the hell do you expect?

It would have happened to a cast iron manifold too. Plus because you wrapped it, you contain more heat within the metal, thus when you quench it with water like you did you increased the shock loading on the material.

Was your manifold cut and re welded to fir your gti, or was it bent? if it was bent, then theres another problem, you over stressed it to start!

For the money, the raceland is the best money can buy, its quite well made for £120.

If you were looking for a custom made one, you would start at prices around £300 i would think.

You sure it was a puddle that wrecked it, the engine can move allot under-load and could easily crack a manifold, especially with wheel hop in the wet ;)

More than likely the puddle. Excessive engine movement shouldn't really damage a manifold as long as a flexy section is fitted.

Afterall thermal shock can completely wreck a manifold! It's also one of the most likely ways for a Catalytic converter to die.

More than likely the puddle. Excessive engine movement shouldn't really damage a manifold as long as a flexy section is fitted.

Afterall thermal shock can completely wreck a manifold! It's also one of the most likely ways for a Catalytic converter to die.

Meh, sure im wrong. Happens allot on civics but then again they are JDM tyte yo.

Dude, you just shock loaded the metal, what the hell do you expect?

It would have happened to a cast iron manifold too. Plus because you wrapped it, you contain more heat within the metal, thus when you quench it with water like you did you increased the shock loading on the material.

Was your manifold cut and re welded to fir your gti, or was it bent? if it was bent, then theres another problem, you over stressed it to start!

For the money, the raceland is the best money can buy, its quite well made for £120.

If you were looking for a custom made one, you would start at prices around £300 i would think.

lol i know i did and i also know that the heat wrap holds in most of the heat! all i am saying is i didnt expect it 2 happen when its only just a year old lol i have went through loads of puddles since day 1 it was fitted and no problem with it and its not that i dont know whats happened to it becasue i do lol it is my fault but it was an easy mistake to make lol some people see puddles and speed up for them but in my case there was nothing i could do but go through it, i did bend it and yes it would have made another problem!

it is a good manifold but not for where i stay and i dont think i will be buying another to last 1 year again lol cheers ross