Steering wheel change>

Hi all,

is a normal steering wheel from a MK1 Arosa same size as the normal Lupo one? Is the GTI version smaller/chunkier? I want to change mine as it looks like a bus lol

Cheers

not a clue mate. u want to get a momo im not sure what modle it is you will have to ask people on here loads of people got them but there awsome, my mate has 1 its like a go kart :) and i have a gti and the steering wheel isn't very chunckie atall i want a new 1 too :)

Sorry to hijack but what steering wheels fit as long as you have the airbag?

Do mk4 -5 golf gti or r32 steering wheels fit? or Audi s3 steering wheel?

Audi S3 and Mk5 R32 wheels have the extra buttons which i guarentee you will not get working.

Mk4 Golf, Mk5 Golf, Eos etc will all fit physically.

Do you not mind the Audi logo on the air bag??

Make sure it comes with a airbag.

I have just brought a Mk5 R32 wheel, with airbag for £260.... A airbag from the dealers is near £500 (You can understand why so many cars get written off)... It has all the buttons and DSG padels... All for show on a Lupo.

No... UK source. He tells me he is dispatching it today?? 900 feedbacks, 100% postive feedback, he had it up for £300, I offered £260 as a teaser, and he said yes :)

Another one on there at the moment(damaged though), same seller, with grey stitching, mines got black.. Not sure what exact models they were fitted to.

Need to get a GTI or .:R insert for the bottom, as it's coming plain.

Well I will take loads of pics, and state the basics.

I know the airbag connections are different, and you need to use the Lupo slip-ring(thanks to Bluloop). I think the hardest part is removing the Lupo airbag.

Ill take your GTI one mate, lol

if you replace it with a momo ;) hahaha na i havn't got 1 to replace it with atm mate so sorry unless you can find me a momo or a nice vw mk5 golf or audi a3:) or just a nice chunkie leather 1 :) will give cash aswell? pm me:)

Audi S3 and Mk5 R32 wheels have the extra buttons which i guarentee you will not get working.

Mk4 Golf, Mk5 Golf, Eos etc will all fit physically.

I guarentee i could get the buttons working with an aftermarket headunit, it would be a rather simple hack.

How do you get round the issue of linking the wires from the steering wheel to the column??

Same way you can change the channels on your TV without wires and the same way the after market steering wheel

controls work. They quite obviously use wizardry and magic!

Edited by Unheard

I guarentee i could get the buttons working with an aftermarket headunit, it would be a rather simple hack.

Spending thousands on converting a lupo to Canbus would be a silly idea... They are not infra red and do not opperate on the same basis as the older type multifunction steering wheels. For these button's to work, you would either need to make your own circuit board behind them for each pad, or alternatively Completely upgrade the Lupo's electronics system to a can-bus one out of a Mk5 golf.

Either way, no easy task.

Spending thousands on converting a lupo to Canbus would be a silly idea... They are not infra red and do not opperate on the same basis as the older type multifunction steering wheels. For these button's to work, you would either need to make your own circuit board behind them for each pad, or alternatively Completely upgrade the Lupo's electronics system to a can-bus one out of a Mk5 golf.

Either way, no easy task.

There is a bloke who got all the buttons working when he fitted this wheel to his passat.

This was the item i won, you can see the seller from here...

link.

Al... When you fitted the mk5 wheel to your Bora, did you have to adapt the airbag loom? I've done it on the lupo, but are airbags polarity sensitive?? Haven't connected the plug yet.

There is a bloke who got all the buttons working when he fitted this wheel to his passat.

This was the item i won, you can see the seller from here...

link.

Al... When you fitted the mk5 wheel to your Bora, did you have to adapt the airbag loom? I've done it on the lupo, but are airbags polarity sensitive?? Haven't connected the plug yet.

Yes, I had to make up my own loom for the Bora as my car originally had a Non-Canbus Multi function wheel.

If you brake open the airbag plug, you will see that they are numbered (1) and (2). I used a black marker to mark the number 1 wire and made sure they were soldered into the correct side of the connector.

That said, I'm not sure if polarity is important, but didn't wanna take the risk.

• 1 month later...