Ubuntu

IDGM

I resurrected my old work laptop late last night with a CD of Xubuntu. A quick look at it running makes me think I'll install it and bin XP, especially after I plugged in my network cable and got Firefox working without a hitch.

This has led me to want to try Ubuntu 9.10 properly on my HP AMD dual core desktop running Vista Home Basic at home. I stuck the Xubuntu Cd in and it worked with the exception of my USB wireless thing, but a quick browse this morning makes me think that'll be easy to fix.

Has anyone made the move away from Xp/Vista (without going Mac) on a PC and if so, what experiences have you had?

Edited by IDGM

I'm dual running Vista and Ubuntu, and I really like ubuntu.

The only problem I am having is that the sound has stopped working through ubuntu and I am too lazy to mess with it.

You will probably just have to install ndiswrapper to get your USB wireless dongle working, that's what I did to make my Belkin N1 work.

The only problem I am having is that the sound has stopped working through ubuntu and I am too lazy to mess with it.

You will probably just have to install ndiswrapper to get your USB wireless dongle working, that's what I did to make my Belkin N1 work.

I ran xubuntu on my laptop for ages it was brilliant. I dont think it crashed the entire time i used it. oh well back to good old reliable windows...

I noticed the sound was off too last night. I'm using a Belkin N1 router and USB wireless dongle. It looks like I need to open a console window and use the ndis-thingy to copy the driver off the Belkin CD. I know that if I unplug the dongle from the PC, then I get into putting my password in again.

The laptop is wired to the router and found the connection immediately, I didn't need to go through the router security at all (maybe that's bad).

I ran xubuntu on my laptop for ages it was brilliant. I dont think it crashed the entire time i used it. oh well back to good old reliable windows...

The laptop is a Dell C600 with pretty poor spec's in comparison to today's offerings. The HDD is a bit suspect, so I'm hoping I can get a new one for a few quid and install Xubuntu on that. The only thing I'm worried about is if the laptop will work OK after that, or if it will need the drivers on the current HDD.

I've really no idea, I know it seems to have an 'it just works' kind of thing going on with it, so I'll see when I replace the drive.

I have used gOS for quite some time on one of my computers but i have just stuck windows 7 on it instead. There was no linux support for

the printer i wanted to use with it other than that i would have stuck to it.

If it does all you want then go with it. It is the fastest OS for low spec kit by miles.

The only thing I'm worried about is if the laptop will work OK after that, or if it will need the drivers on the current HDD.

If you install onto the new hard drive, it will install all the drivers it needs from the ubuntu CD. Ubuntu doesn't need anything windowsy off your current HD to run.

I've installed it on a couple of machines now, and quite like it. I still don't think it's ready to take on windows in the home market, there are some things that are just too hard for standard joe public non computer user to do, but it's definately getting there.

Slowest i've run it on is the celeron 900 in my asus eeepc, but it's perfectly nippy for web browsing and using IM stuff. Skype even works out the box with it.

i had a sony vaio laptop, the graphics card broke as windows vista thrashes it,

i thought it was a long shot, so chucked ubuntu on it, and its runnin perfect! obviously a diff chipset or somethin

i've got the latest version, that even creates a new partition for u,

but i have sound but no webcam, cos the webcam is in the laptop

so its either, no sound on 8.04 i think or no webcam on 9.-sumit

so i stuck to the latest version

its awesome though, saved me £000s too!

i had a sony vaio laptop, the graphics card broke as windows vista thrashes it,

i thought it was a long shot, so chucked ubuntu on it, and its runnin perfect! obviously a diff chipset or somethin

i've got the latest version, that even creates a new partition for u,

but i have sound but no webcam, cos the webcam is in the laptop

so its either, no sound on 8.04 i think or no webcam on 9.-sumit

so i stuck to the latest version

its awesome though, saved me £000s too!

So your saying the graphics card broke and by changing OS it workes again. That would almost certainly indicate that it was

not a hardware problem and just a driver issue. Did you try doing a fresh install of windows?

I fully installed Xubuntu on my P3 laptop last night, removing XP Pro. It took a couple of hours to do with the updates, but it works great and only takes 30 secs or so to boot up when XP was taking 10 minutes.

I need to sort the sound out, then I can see what iPlayer is like. First impressions are very good.