Need Help and advice on buying a LUPO SPORT

LaydeeNina

Basically, I have been looking for months to try and find a black Lupo Sport for sale, 1.4 16v 100bhp...but...there has not been one that i can see for sale that has just been left standard, I'm not even fussy about mileage, service history etc. But according to a few forums and websites the 100bhp model is rare? I just want someone to tell me if this is true or not and should i give up looking for a sport model and just go for the 1.4 s??? I am really not keen on the 75bhp idea as i do want to have a bit of power behind the wheel.

Also i have noticed some 100bhp sport models have red and black interior and others not? does anyone know why this is?

Forgive me for sounding naiive about all this but i have got to the point of frustration with this car hunt!!

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

x

p.s ALSO bit of a change in subject but nevertheless would still like to know, is it possible to get angel eye headlights for a lupo?? haven't seen one yet with them on, could imagine they would look really nice!

Edited by LaydeeNina

Put it this way, took me almost a year to find a decent sport in black!

I'm unsure as to the roots of the interior, but I definitely prefer it to the grey!

Keep looking and good luck!

Put it this way, took me almost a year to find a decent sport in black!

I'm unsure as to the roots of the interior, but I definitely prefer it to the grey!

Keep looking and good luck!

I thought as much, I knew it wasnt going to be easy to find one, and i hate myself for wanting one, because in my eyes its either that or nothing lol, thats how much i want one...cheers though, Im trying to stay positive lol =)

Early models had tim tom interior and they then got the GTI interior later on. The sport is quite rare but no way near as rare as the GTI

but there does appear to be more GTIs for sale on autotrader than Sorts.

60 seconds searching came up with this http://www.timreay.co.uk/22351/showroom.htm

Early models had tim tom interior and they then got the GTI interior later on. The sport is quite rare but no way near as rare as the GTI

but there does appear to be more GTIs for sale on autotrader than Sorts.

60 seconds searching came up with this http://www.timreay.co.uk/22351/showroom.htm

Thanks for clearing the interior query up for me, I have seen quite a few gti's for sale and the only thing stopping me from going for a gti is the high insurance. I thought the sport would be a good compromise. And thanks for the link! it is very much appreciated!!!! =)

Hello,

As said the GTI is rarest but I think the Sport models were hampered by a high price and little extra equipment that people would value. Earlier Sport were available with "Tom" Upholstry as already mentioned that was available in very bright colours. The Black car was slightly better of than other colours as you could choose to have black and red colouring that meant you got black plastics and carpet which many people prefer or you could have opted fo simple flannel grey without a colored insert on the seats that gave the car a brighter interior.

I would be very wary about a Sport with out service history the 1.4 100ps engine seems to be the most prone to trouble and I would imagine the problems could be exagerated if servicing has been skipped. Having said that they are good fun and as they don't look that dissimilar to models lower in the range the performance comes as a suprise to many other road users. If you have set your heart on a Sport then I would not buy an "S" as you may look back and think you should have waited, from your posts it seems that you ideally wanted a GTI but you mentioned that insurance is a concern, if you have not already checked it may be an idea to visit a comparrison site and get an idea of the price for GTI insurance. It may be less than you think. Another option may be to try a TDI Sport which is quite quick cheaper than a Sport 100PS to insure and much cheaper to fuel and tax, they also seem to be more reliable. They also give you the option of chipping the car in the future to net more power.

I know this has been lowered but:

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1132519.htm

or

http://www.vehicletrader.co.uk/used-cars/v...16v-Sport.xhtml

http://www.mobiya.co.uk/showad/jpgpadp

i was lucky, found my sport by not even searching for one...

i was after a fiesta zetec s and was putting a racing puma 150hp engine in but my mate said try a lupo...couldnt find a gti, found the sport within two days of searching, took a test drive and fell in love..now supercharge conversion starts soon :)

as above mine was a bit of luck really, although mine is red not black.

i was looking for a yaris t-sport and i was on a garages website and i saw mine good price low mileage and same performance as a t-sport

but nicer inside so here i am lol

keep your head up you'l find the right one soon enough !!

As most people who own a sport will tell you!

Don't give in until you find a sport...settle for no less!

they just dont compare with the 'S' the sport is in 'gti league'

I have seen hundreds of gtis about...but still after 10 months of owning a sport...am yet to see another one on the road!

Is there any reason why you wouldn't consider looking at a modified Sport? Couple of reasons why I ask is that I know if you bought one from someone on here they'd have more than likely been well maintained as well as having those 'typical' issues such as the pedal box resolved.

Also, from you asking about angel eye lights I assume you'd like to modify it yourself. If you buy one that is subtely modified already then it doesn't take much to make it your own.

I bought my Sport last year, the previous owner (who is still on here in a yellow supercharged Loop) had all of the known issues fixed, correctly serviced and no expense spared. I bought my car off him already on Coiliovers and de-badged. Only took a wheel refurb, black roof and a good detail for to feel more 'mine' than someone esle's creation, if that makes sense.

i was lucky, found my sport by not even searching for one...

I was the same, knew there was a bit of difference between a Sport and a 1.4S but just so happened to find a Sport for sale near me and bought it. Never realised how rare they are. Really don't see many Lupos about but even less Sports or GTIs.

Edited by Alex_225

Only took a wheel refurb, black roof and a good detail for to feel more 'mine' than someone esle's creation, if that makes sense.

you may be my god for the day...please oh please answer my prayers and tell me where you got your black roof done??

and it was the outside on top of the roof not the rooflining yes?

I have seen hundreds of gtis about...but still after 10 months of owning a sport...am yet to see another one on the road!

Never seen another sport, but seen 3 GTi's and over 10 1.4s or 1.0s LOL

keep looking for the sport, I was searching from November to February for mine and checked autotrader, pistonheads & other sites everyday!

don't be too put off by a modified lupo, as said it is probably more looked after than a standard one own by an older person! :D

good luck on the search, if you still haven't found one by april mine will probably be for sale lol !

Hello,

As said the GTI is rarest but I think the Sport models were hampered by a high price and little extra equipment that people would value. Earlier Sport were available with "Tom" Upholstry as already mentioned that was available in very bright colours. The Black car was slightly better of than other colours as you could choose to have black and red colouring that meant you got black plastics and carpet which many people prefer or you could have opted fo simple flannel grey without a colored insert on the seats that gave the car a brighter interior.

I would be very wary about a Sport with out service history the 1.4 100ps engine seems to be the most prone to trouble and I would imagine the problems could be exagerated if servicing has been skipped. Having said that they are good fun and as they don't look that dissimilar to models lower in the range the performance comes as a suprise to many other road users. If you have set your heart on a Sport then I would not buy an "S" as you may look back and think you should have waited, from your posts it seems that you ideally wanted a GTI but you mentioned that insurance is a concern, if you have not already checked it may be an idea to visit a comparrison site and get an idea of the price for GTI insurance. It may be less than you think. Another option may be to try a TDI Sport which is quite quick cheaper than a Sport 100PS to insure and much cheaper to fuel and tax, they also seem to be more reliable. They also give you the option of chipping the car in the future to net more power.

I know this has been lowered but:

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1132519.htm

or

http://www.vehicletrader.co.uk/used-cars/v...16v-Sport.xhtml

http://www.mobiya.co.uk/showad/jpgpadp

Thanks for this post, I found it very insightful. I did a quote on confused and my insurance for a sport would be £900 whereas a gti would be £1679 which is too high for me at the moment being a student and all. I have considered the tdi sport but wasnt sure of the difference in power compared with a petrol. My dad who owns a mk4 golf gti said his diesel has a lot of power and torque so i should consider a diesel...

And about the interior, the red and black interior is amazing, and the fact that it was a standard interior on later models made me fall in love with the lupo sport even more!!!

Also Thanks for the links =) the one which is £1450 makes me wonder why its quite cheap? should i be wary of lower prices on a sport model?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't consider looking at a modified Sport? Couple of reasons why I ask is that I know if you bought one from someone on here they'd have more than likely been well maintained as well as having those 'typical' issues such as the pedal box resolved.

Also, from you asking about angel eye lights I assume you'd like to modify it yourself. If you buy one that is subtely modified already then it doesn't take much to make it your own.

I bought my Sport last year, the previous owner (who is still on here in a yellow supercharged Loop) had all of the known issues fixed, correctly serviced and no expense spared. I bought my car off him already on Coiliovers and de-badged. Only took a wheel refurb, black roof and a good detail for to feel more 'mine' than someone esle's creation, if that makes sense.

I was the same, knew there was a bit of difference between a Sport and a 1.4S but just so happened to find a Sport for sale near me and bought it. Never realised how rare they are. Really don't see many Lupos about but even less Sports or GTIs.

Thanks for your post, All i seem to find are sport models that have been heavily modified, and I agree they will have been well maintained but the price difference is quite substantial. Plus I do want to do some mods of my own, as I have never done it before so ideally wanted a clean slate. I would definately buy a lupo sport like you said with subtle mods etc like if it has been lowered, de-badged but the ones I have found you can tell has someone elses personality put into the car, I really hope that I do find one, as I am so determined. My family have only ever had VW cars my dad being german, but no one has had a Lupo. LOL. sounds sad doesnt it really haha =) I found a lupo sport which needs a new engine going for £600, I was so nearly going to buy it as I found a sport engine for £600 on ebay but I am not sure of labour costs involved with an engine swap??

Thanks for your post, All i seem to find are sport models that have been heavily modified, and I agree they will have been well maintained but the price difference is quite substantial. Plus I do want to do some mods of my own, as I have never done it before so ideally wanted a clean slate. I would definately buy a lupo sport like you said with subtle mods etc like if it has been lowered, de-badged but the ones I have found you can tell has someone elses personality put into the car, I really hope that I do find one, as I am so determined. My family have only ever had VW cars my dad being german, but no one has had a Lupo. LOL. sounds sad doesnt it really haha =) I found a lupo sport which needs a new engine going for £600, I was so nearly going to buy it as I found a sport engine for £600 on ebay but I am not sure of labour costs involved with an engine swap??

Thats cool hun, I can totally see what you're saying there. Have to say this Lupo was the first car that I bought partly modified. All my other cars have been standard until I got them. Only thing with my one was that it was a good car in itself as its easy to just think 'ooh its got this and got that' when the car could be crappy.

Good luck in the hunt for a Sport, they do exists but just not that easy to come by. Mine was just lucky really and with a couple of changes changed the look of the car. Keep us posted on how you get on though. I'm sure there'll be plenty of help on the way. :)

Thats cool hun, I can totally see what you're saying there. Have to say this Lupo was the first car that I bought partly modified. All my other cars have been standard until I got them. Only thing with my one was that it was a good car in itself as its easy to just think 'ooh its got this and got that' when the car could be crappy.

Good luck in the hunt for a Sport, they do exists but just not that easy to come by. Mine was just lucky really and with a couple of changes changed the look of the car. Keep us posted on how you get on though. I'm sure there'll be plenty of help on the way. :)

Thanks I will do, and Im really grateful for everyones input lol, club lupo is way better than saxperience!!! Haha!!

No problem, I suspect if a car is considerably cheaper than similar models you would be wise to steer clear unless you have a mechanic who is happy to give the car the once over.

To be clear though the interior in earlier sport models are quite different to those in later models:

This car has the earlier interior

media.jpg

media2.jpg

This is the later model interior:

Sport.jpg

It is very similar to a GTI, the differences are mainly the instrument binacle and the headlining are different on a GTI, GTI models also had the option of red checks instead of the grey on the Sport and this added red door cards.

When I did my insurance the broker who looks after cars at work told me that if you insure the vehicle in your name but add a parent or responsible adult to you policy as a named driver then your premium may fall.

If you do look at a TDI remember that earlier models did not have ABS as standard. My brother used to have TDI Lupo's and they feel very quick as their power is developed lower down and they have more torque than a Petrol model.

Edited by JB1.0e

As most people who own a sport will tell you!

Don't give in until you find a sport...settle for no less!

they just dont compare with the 'S' the sport is in 'gti league'

What part of Surrey are you in? I could come and drive up and down your road just for the novelty factor :lol:

Come to think of it i have seen more GTIs than sports. That then begs the question exactly how many sports were sold in the UK?

hiya, just thought id give some input as a previous sport owner. my sport was my first car. i didnt even know about lupos and im ashamed to say i was originally looking for a 206. soooooooo glad i didnt. i saw a lupo sport (red) at my local garage for 4k with 35k miles and full history and immaculate. i went away but couldnt stop thinking about it. eventually bought and OMG i was in love. i have an unhealthy love for loops now but i must warn you. i hadd my sport with low milage for just over 2 years and ended up spending around 4k on repairs in that time. the sports from my personal experience are v v v v v problematic. the 1.4 100ps is really quite strained and i kept having endless problems and i know there are a few people on here that had a nightmare with theirs. tigz i think had mega probs and got rid of his eventually. this didnt put me off tho as i saved up and got my gti. now that really is OMFG amazing. the gti is sooo much better and it seems as though its better built as its the premium model. both gti and sports are rare but i worked with someone who had a sport also and must say ive seen a few more sports than gtis. in 3 years ive seen 2 gtis and around 6 sports on my travels. i just wish and really advise you consider a gti more carefully as these retain their value alot better as when i was fixing my sport.... all the fkn time, it was money down the drain. the gti however is a gti and will only get rarer and more desirable for dub enthusiasts. just look at the prices for mk1 golf gtis now. gtis are remembered but im sad to say i doubt the sport will be. only loop fans really appreciate the sport where as eeryone loves a vw gti full stop. reconsider please, as you'll be saving money in the long run if you intend to keep the car for a good few years. hope this helps and i havent put a damper on your hunt. i loved my sport immensly, fairly quick, rare and amazing fun, but in the end all its problems broke my heart and my wallet. i hope someone now is looking after shiela, shes a good girl. (that was her name lol)

i brought my sport 18 months ago, bog standard in black.

but its had a new peddle box this year, i had the roof repainted (under warrenty) due 2 corrosion on the gutter rails

its got 77k miles on the clock with fsh, it took me a while 2 find 1 but it runs like a dream & yes it does suprise other car drivers.

keep looking ul find 1

hiya, just thought id give some input as a previous sport owner. my sport was my first car. i didnt even know about lupos and im ashamed to say i was originally looking for a 206. soooooooo glad i didnt. i saw a lupo sport (red) at my local garage for 4k with 35k miles and full history and immaculate. i went away but couldnt stop thinking about it. eventually bought and OMG i was in love. i have an unhealthy love for loops now but i must warn you. i hadd my sport with low milage for just over 2 years and ended up spending around 4k on repairs in that time. the sports from my personal experience are v v v v v problematic. the 1.4 100ps is really quite strained and i kept having endless problems and i know there are a few people on here that had a nightmare with theirs. tigz i think had mega probs and got rid of his eventually. this didnt put me off tho as i saved up and got my gti. now that really is OMFG amazing. the gti is sooo much better and it seems as though its better built as its the premium model. both gti and sports are rare but i worked with someone who had a sport also and must say ive seen a few more sports than gtis. in 3 years ive seen 2 gtis and around 6 sports on my travels. i just wish and really advise you consider a gti more carefully as these retain their value alot better as when i was fixing my sport.... all the fkn time, it was money down the drain. the gti however is a gti and will only get rarer and more desirable for dub enthusiasts. just look at the prices for mk1 golf gtis now. gtis are remembered but im sad to say i doubt the sport will be. only loop fans really appreciate the sport where as eeryone loves a vw gti full stop. reconsider please, as you'll be saving money in the long run if you intend to keep the car for a good few years. hope this helps and i havent put a damper on your hunt. i loved my sport immensly, fairly quick, rare and amazing fun, but in the end all its problems broke my heart and my wallet. i hope someone now is looking after shiela, shes a good girl. (that was her name lol)

I have been reading about common faults with the sports and there are a fair few tbh. I wish I could have a gti, but the insurance for me would be above what I could realistically afford, and also my budget wouldnt i dont think stretch to a gti, unfortunately. I have seen quite a few lovely gti's for sale but are all knocking on £5000 or more. Whereas the sports I have seen that have been already sold via auto trader and piston heads are more within my price range. I was looking ultimately for a standard sport that I could modify, as i have never done this and would quite like to make a master piece of my own.

I know the gti's hold their money far better, my dad being german is a total VW enthusiast and has had a a fair few gti's in his time all of which are worth quite a lot today.

I just wish some old lady with a black lupo sport who has hardly driven it would sell her car haha...yeah right!!!

And i have got the lupo bug i think, its like no other car could fill the gap, I know its weird but its just how it is!! LOL

I have been reading about common faults with the sports and there are a fair few tbh. I wish I could have a gti, but the insurance for me would be above what I could realistically afford, and also my budget wouldnt i dont think stretch to a gti, unfortunately. I have seen quite a few lovely gti's for sale but are all knocking on £5000 or more. Whereas the sports I have seen that have been already sold via auto trader and piston heads are more within my price range. I was looking ultimately for a standard sport that I could modify, as i have never done this and would quite like to make a master piece of my own.

I know the gti's hold their money far better, my dad being german is a total VW enthusiast and has had a a fair few gti's in his time all of which are worth quite a lot today.

I just wish some old lady with a black lupo sport who has hardly driven it would sell her car haha...yeah right!!!

And i have got the lupo bug i think, its like no other car could fill the gap, I know its weird but its just how it is!! LOL

i know exactly how you feel im totally obsessed, they are great. funny you say that aswell, just last week i went up country and saw a black sport with two old women in, i got excited thinking it might be someone young and lovin it but got upset a bit when i overtook them on the dual carrageway, they must have been doing 50mph. such a shame but thats exactly the sort you want. t be honest id go down the tdi sport route if the gti isnt an option. i only got my gti as i traded my sport in and my gran died an left me 4k, not that i wish that on you. thing is with induction kit, manifold de cat full stainless exhaust chip then remap you will be hittin 100bhp with the tdi but with way more torque than the petty. plus i always liked white loops, if they are colour coded properly. hope you get one. lots of nice friendly and helpful people on here to help and offer advice when you do. good luck