5 speed or 6 speed gti?

charlie clark

The trouble is the Lupo GTI's 6 Speed box was never originally designed as a 6 Speed! It's a 5 Speed box with an extra gear added on. Not the same as a Traditional type of six speed box.

As far as I remember a lot of the internal components are the same (or at least those that would determine the strength of the box) The only thing I can thing of which would make it more reliable is closer ratios meaning a lower torque multiplication rate!

I didn't think this was true. It seems to me driving it that sixth is only very slighty above the 5 ratio wise. At least it's only slightly higher than my old sport. I was told and I believe as you can tell when driven that the sixth was basically where 5th was in the 5 speed and they compressed the rest making the ratios shorter and snappier( if that's a word lol)

I'd just like to throw the cat among the pigeons by saying that just because a car gets to 60mph quicker, doesn't mean that it will be in front of another car that takes slightly longer to get to 60 when racing off the line (when it gets to 60) - regardless of driver.

iv got a 5 speed and i love it, i wanted a six speed when i was lookin to buy but this one was the right pice, and i think its great, i couldnt imagine havin a six speed now as the ratios already so close together, but at the end of the day theyre all lupo gti's and frickin awesome ;)

Edited by yabaDUBadoo

I heard something about 0-60 (using GPS, so more accurate than a speedo) in a 6 speed GTi in *just* under 8 seconds once.....................

And no, that wasn't going down Bullsh1t Hill with a tailwind.