Ford Ka Zetec review

IDGM

Only for the day, but a 1.2 Zetec. I'd quite forgotten about the jiggly ride afforded by short wheelbase cars since having the Fiesta. Yet the Ka is supposed to offer a better ride than the 500 thanks to more progressive damping and thicker ARBs. The equivalent 500 must be a bit rough then.

Everything is to hand (i.e. cramped), quality is much better than the old Ka and it corners a lot better than it looks like it will. Plenty of rear view for parking in the door mirrors. Seats comfy. Gears rubbery. Boot tiny probably, but I can't be arsed looking.

The 1.2 is predictably gutless, I can imagine the CDTi is the best to drive. We have a Vauxhall Combo with the same 1.3 diesel in and it is pretty nippy.

No twisty knob on the radio for the volume is bad me thinks. Beepy noise can be set for speed limits which is handy if annoying at first.

A replacement for the old Ka? No, it's much better and as a result, far too expensive.

I had one a while back as a courtesy car and must admit i was fairly impressed with it.

It was well nailed together and drove nicely if a little numb with the city type power steering thats light as a feather when standing. I definately agree with the crashy ride though.

Couldnt help feeling like a d**k when driving it though. My girlfriend used to have an old ka and although it was falling to bits and had the good old tappety engine it still felt characterful. I must agree the new one doesnt have this.

The push volume buttons on the radio are probably the most annoying thing! and the fact the stereo is located as far away as possible.

How much actually are they? Think id go the 500 instead though regardless of price.

I think this one is listed at £11140 with the paint, alloys and aircon. The basic one is £8600 which is an awful lot for a basic entry level car from Ford.

I think this one is listed at £11140 with the paint, alloys and aircon. The basic one is £8600 which is an awful lot for a basic entry level car from Ford.

Jesus!! Not cheap then!

Jesus wept! My sister's Ka was £5k brand new!

It went round corners like nothin else, it was really slow but by god i had fun with it.

I've never understood this. Heard loads of times that the original Ka was fun to drive and handled well. Every time I go round a corner in my sisters my head scrapes across the roof until it's stopped by the passenger side window and the door mirrors scrape the road! It honestly feels like it's going to tip over when going round a roundabout.

The 1.2 is predictably gutless, I can imagine the CDTi is the best to drive. We have a Vauxhall Combo with the same 1.3 diesel in and it is pretty nippy.

Never known Ford and Vauxhall to share an engine before?

Never known Ford and Vauxhall to share an engine before?

Fiat get into bed with anybody. Now that the arrangement with Chrysler is on the go, I guess we'll see further proliferation. Their diesels are used by Ford (in the Ka), Opel/Vauxhall/SAAB, Suzuki and probably other less obvious ones. They must be OK.

The Ka is a Fiat 500, but rather than the floorpan wearing a Chanel dress, it's in Reebok shell pants and a McKenzie jumper from JJB. I assume that an ST variant will use either the 100hp n/a 1.4 or even the 135hp turbo.

I must say that since I've been driving it around, I've realised that the current Corsa looks more like the Ka than it probably should.

I gave it some full lock beans in our yard last night and it felt really secure, no really evidence of understeer even on the wet and greasy surface and body roll felt really controlled and minimal.

Edited by IDGM

Jesus wept! My sister's Ka was £5k brand new!

I've never understood this. Heard loads of times that the original Ka was fun to drive and handled well. Every time I go round a corner in my sisters my head scrapes across the roof until it's stopped by the passenger side window and the door mirrors scrape the road! It honestly feels like it's going to tip over when going round a roundabout.

Strange?!?!?!

i thought it was awesum for cornering.

This thread is almost depressing lol.

Have no fear! I have no intention of spending lots of £'s on the expensive Fiat/Ford lovechild. They can keep it. I've even unburdened my nagging doubt about buying the Fiesta over a Panda Diesel. That gear lever housing makes for a claustrophopic and knee banging drive.

At least the Ford warranty paid the £444.18 for the ABS thingummy that broke.