Smoothing the airbox?

cafcross

Read on here and Edition 38 of people smoothing the standard airbox and putting holes in it whilst running an aftermarket panel filter.

More information required please :)

i'm currently in the procces of removing the internal structure and laying over the small ribs with a GRP layer, will be linked to the cone filter loacted behind a cut out in the slam panel with a heat sheild.....i'll let you know how it goes when i finnish it

We did a little research about this on an Ibiza Mk4 130pd and there was no significant difference between the Original un-modified airbox and a Smoothed airbox.

The torque curves were 99.9% the same with the powerfigures on the second run (with modified airbox) pulling 1bhp more and 0.6lb/ft less.

It will probably work better on a naturally aspirated petrol, but as of yet I'm not convinced.

I have smoothed my airbox and drilled a few select holes near a corner of the box, but then put a cold air feed to the select holes to prevent heat soak.

Seems to rev easier to be honest and the noise is a bonus too, but nothing else

i am going to sound abit stupid here, but could someone please tell me how to smooth and drill a airbox please?

pictures before and after would also be apreciated if anyone has them.

cheers spoorsy :)

i am going to sound abit stupid here, but could someone please tell me how to smooth and drill a airbox please?

pictures before and after would also be apreciated if anyone has them.

cheers spoorsy :)

Have you had the filter out yet to have alook inside the air box?...if not then that would be a good start.

The holes are just a case of drilling some holes in the airbox in reasonably structurally rigid bits. I could only really find 4 places worthwhile drilling through, which I see as being enough with a cold air feed.

As for smoothing, the inside of the airbox has lots of bits of plastic which stick up inside and can cause the air to slow down inside the airbox so to smooth it out its just a case of cutting down these bits of plastic and sanding it smooth, very easy to do if you remove the airbox with a dremel or similar.

:)