ap coilovers,

jamiea7x

Fitted my AP's today!.. Will post pics and a progress guide on monday.. from what I can tell, the ride is sweet, the camber and tracking need doing so hopefully that'll get done monday. On the whole, the kit was easy to work with.. watch this space =)

I've had these on a few days now.. very impressed with the ride =) I've put a step-by-step guide on how I fitted them on my "members car" page.. but here's the low down for the benefit of this thread :)

Fitted AP Coilovers (pics and step-by-step guide below)

Firstly started by getting everything 'attaching the unit', undone.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

The AP Coilover kit

IMG_0124.jpg

Then had to sand down a ring-spanner so it fitted flush into the nut housing.

IMG_0135.jpg

Like this!

IMG_0136.jpg

Then it's a case of getting the strut mounting and bearings etc, off the original, to fit onto the new unit.

IMG_0128.jpg

Like this!

IMG_0131.jpg

We then used zip ties to help compress the spring temporarilly, whilst tightening up the top nut.

IMG_0130.jpg

Then fittted the coilover into place.

IMG_0125.jpg

The original bolts were secured with a bit of thread-lock. The lower bolts were fixed using a Torque wrench, with a setting of 50nm. The top nut was fixed to 60nm. Once thats done, put your wheel back on, and move onto the other side!

IMG_0126.jpg

A top VW mechanic supervised the entire job.

IMG_0137.jpg

With the fronts done, it's now on to the rears!

IMG_0141.jpg

Remove the rear-side interior inserts, to get to the screws that fix the plastic rear-quarters in place. Under these are the top-bolts you need access to. Removing the springs and dampners is real easy with only a few bolts and nuts to tend to.

IMG_0140.jpg

Now to fit the new coils and dampers. Make sure you undo the rear-adjuster fitting plate first, and screw it into the adjuster unit itself. This keeps everything secure on the arm. If your after extra "lowness", you can forgo fitting the adjuster and just let the spring sit alone. This however is likely put a bit X against your car on it's MOT, so make sure you keep your adjuster handy in case you need it come testing time! Fit your new springs and dampers into place (the easy part), and re-fit all bolts, and your done! Be sure to cover your dampers in some form of grease to help against corrosion.

IMG_0143.jpg

And finished! You will need to have your wheels "lazer aligned" at a professional garage or tyre fitting place. This involves sorting out the camber, and the tracking, and usually costs in the region of £50 - £60.

IMG_0155.jpg

Sitting lower :)

IMG_0156.jpg

this was mine before i put my ap's on...

DSCF0392.jpg

4x4 styleeeeeee

DSCF0395.jpg

and after i fitted the ap's

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0696.jpg

DSCF0697.jpg

sry for late reply lol... still abit more to go on the fronts suprisingly.... and the backs are all the way down with the adjusters removed.... will get front measurements if needed...

DSCF0645.jpg

Edited by BaileyVW

sweet i met my mate to fit mine on today however one of the rear dampers was leaking some AP are coming to collect them tomorrow and give me a new set

Sarah told me about your leak issue :(

I suppose out of the 250+ set's we've sold, One having gone wrong isn't a bad figure!

I hope AP can sort it out quickly so we can get you sorted out!

Sarah told me about your leak issue :(

I suppose out of the 250+ set's we've sold, One having gone wrong isn't a bad figure!

I hope AP can sort it out quickly so we can get you sorted out!

Yeah it's alright pal, hopefully they come get them tomorrow be nice to have a new set brought as well. But there is always going to be one faulty set in a batch somewhere, so i'm not that fussed. But it gave me chance not fitting them on to fix my speakers and more or less finish the boot audio :D

sorry to hijak here slightly but how do you guys get over speed bumps, pothole and driveways? mine not lowered yet purely because ive nearly ripped the bumper off on speedbums and general uneveness of roads!

Fancy a set though! getting the ARB and poly bushes in july so might look into this aswell at same time! still not had a remap yet! lets not talk about that!

sorry to hijak here slightly but how do you guys get over speed bumps, pothole and driveways? mine not lowered yet purely because ive nearly ripped the bumper off on speedbums and general uneveness of roads!

Fancy a set though! getting the ARB and poly bushes in july so might look into this aswell at same time! still not had a remap yet! lets not talk about that!

Slow and steady with a little bit of lock to lock over speed bumps. Sometimes you just have to turn the radio up an force the fecker over.

Avoid potholes like the plague.

I couldn't get up my drive so left it in the road.

tbf speed bumps arent actually that bad like simpo said just take it slow and steady.... i usually try to go over the gap between two bumps.... just so nothing under scrapes best to do if youve got a heavy load in the back :P i.e mates lol... got beached on a mega bump because i didnt go inbetween them with people in the back :( badtimes :P but its worth it :D

and with potholes if i see it coming and dont have time to move i just brace it.... clench my face like im pushing out a masseeev one and say ooooo ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've had these on a few days now.. very impressed with the ride =) I've put a step-by-step guide on how I fitted them on my "members car" page.. but here's the low down for the benefit of this thread :)

Fitted AP Coilovers (pics and step-by-step guide below)

Firstly started by getting everything 'attaching the unit', undone.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

The AP Coilover kit

IMG_0124.jpg

Then had to sand down a ring-spanner so it fitted flush into the nut housing.

IMG_0135.jpg

Like this!

IMG_0136.jpg

Then it's a case of getting the strut mounting and bearings etc, off the original, to fit onto the new unit.

IMG_0128.jpg

Like this!

IMG_0131.jpg

We then used zip ties to help compress the spring temporarilly, whilst tightening up the top nut.

IMG_0130.jpg

Then fittted the coilover into place.

IMG_0125.jpg

The original bolts were secured with a bit of thread-lock. The lower bolts were fixed using a Torque wrench, with a setting of 50nm. The top nut was fixed to 60nm. Once thats done, put your wheel back on, and move onto the other side!

IMG_0126.jpg

A top VW mechanic supervised the entire job.

IMG_0137.jpg

With the fronts done, it's now on to the rears!

IMG_0141.jpg

Remove the rear-side interior inserts, to get to the screws that fix the plastic rear-quarters in place. Under these are the top-bolts you need access to. Removing the springs and dampners is real easy with only a few bolts and nuts to tend to.

IMG_0140.jpg

Now to fit the new coils and dampers. Make sure you undo the rear-adjuster fitting plate first, and screw it into the adjuster unit itself. This keeps everything secure on the arm. If your after extra "lowness", you can forgo fitting the adjuster and just let the spring sit alone. This however is likely put a bit X against your car on it's MOT, so make sure you keep your adjuster handy in case you need it come testing time! Fit your new springs and dampers into place (the easy part), and re-fit all bolts, and your done! Be sure to cover your dampers in some form of grease to help against corrosion.

IMG_0143.jpg

And finished! You will need to have your wheels "lazer aligned" at a professional garage or tyre fitting place. This involves sorting out the camber, and the tracking, and usually costs in the region of £50 - £60.

IMG_0155.jpg

Sitting lower :)

IMG_0156.jpg

can you sort these pics please?

• 4 weeks later...