Oulton park trackday

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm... I may see if the wife wants to buy me a session for my birthday!

So its £100, how long do you get on track?

Its open from 13:30 to 17:00, can you spend as long as you want out there?

Joined up!

Gonna ask her now.. gives me an excuse to get some use out of the camera mount she bought me lol

Gud stuff glad to hear your coming. so i'll be looking out for a polo in the afternoon will i?

Gearbox isnt usually a problem its the brakes that suffer the most so make sure theyre in top condition, its usally worthwhile changing the brake fluid before a trackday just to be sure its not old and squidgy theres nothing worse than squidgy brakes when on track. Check the condition of your pads and discs too. a very important thing to remember is to do a cool down lap to allow everything to shed some heat before coming in and dont ever put the handbrake on after a few laps.

obviously the car will be working much harder than its probably ever worked before so ensure you have good oil and coolant level (get it to the max to prevent oil starvation in the long fast corners like old hall and cascades) and check your tyre pressures first thing in the morning (i usally pump mine up a bit) again check the condition of your tyres because if its a warm day you could get through a bit of tread and remember theyre the only thing physically keeping you out the kitty litter so respect them.

otherwise it's all common sense really just remember the car will be working very hard so if you think there are any main problems with the car they'll almost certainly rear their ugly head on a track day.

Apart from that remember your there to have fun, dont try and be michael schumacher cos you'll only mess it up for yourself and everyone else and the car wont be insured on a trackday so dont go berserk.

as its a open pitlane day you could in theory stay on the track all afternoon but it wouldnt be good for you or the car. So stick to about 20mins on the track at a time. i tend to do about 6-7 laps a time otherwise my brakes end up smoking lol.

oulton parks a fantastic track and once you've gone once you'll get hooked on track days (i have) but a track is an entirely differnt enviroment to the road and it will really show what the car and yourself is capable of, i find i dont have the balls to attack certain corners that i know the car is capable of doing so its as much a proving ground for yourself as welll as the car.

Edited by Toi gulp

Yeah, keep your eye out for this car.

photo-49.jpg

I'll keep an eye open for you, looking at the rest of the cars on the day I think I'll only have a chance of keeping up to your rear bumper to learn the lines lol

I'm so excited! :lol:

It's a great feeling isnt it, you'llbe buzzing when the days over. One thing i did forget to mention is you will need a helmet so ring oulton park in advance or easy track to try and get one reserved for you. otherwise you wont be allowed on track.

i'm going to keep my eye out for you in the afternoon as i'll be there all day i'm loking forward to seeing a very similar on track to see how we compare. But yes when i got my eye on the other cars i realised it would be an interesting day. i'll be having one eye on my mirrors all day (youve really got to pay attention to what goes on behind you and if a blue flag gets waved at you it means theres a faster car behind trying to get past i.e. tvr vs lupo so let them past) as you can find a car crawling over your rear bumper in no time at all, at which point indicate right, move to the right and slow down momentarily just to let them past (the complete opposite of overtaking on the road in the uk lol). BUT anyone overtaking in a corner will get black flagged its strictly single file in the corners.

You will find the first three corners an absoloute hoot when you really get shifting their fast and your on the cars limit getting round them, but theyre suprisingly forgiving. You then get a right hand hairpin which i find a little tricky its banked but ive never seemed to be able to carry much speed through it you then approach a chicane which requires some accurate lines then over a crest down to the next chicane which is quite challenging in that it's good for throwing the car side to side then up over the hill round a gradual left hander now this is where you really need to pay attention.... ONLY brake after the kerbing on the left and turn in slightly late you want to aim for the second apex not the first one. and keep your exit tight as car after car goes off here. (its called druids corner) look it up on you tube its a nasty deceptive bend which will quite easily make a FWD car spin. So take it easy. you then get a right hander on the crest of a hill and the exit again is tricky as the car goes light over the crest so you'll find it trying to run wide then through a dip and up onto the start/finnish straight then hold on and attack the right hander where the pit joins.

get yourself on youtube and watch the videos on there it'll help

Not much, BMC cone filter, Bilstein and h&r suspension, and currently green stuff pads but i'm contemplating getting the maxtorq group n discs and oem pads before the trackday....oh and i've removed as much of the interior as i can while saving up for some lighter seats.

And you?

Got some kw variant 2 coilovers, jabba rear arb, toyo 888s, bmc cda with cold air feed, maifold , scorpion cat back, b&m short shifter. 280mm brake conversion with mintex extreme track pads and disk and goodridge hoses

For track days i take all the rear interior out.

Got a full polybush set, decat and front strut brace ready to fit

Edited by breamy

hmmm... change of plan.

I can't make it.

I booked the day off work, and started to call around for the parts I need to get it track ready.

The rear shocks are gonna cost £68 for the pair, the track rod end is £23 and I still need to get the camber and tracking done from when I fitted the Eibach Pro Street springs a few weeks back.

The front discs are warped slightly, I have a set of 280mm discs and I thought a mate had a spare set but.. I'll link the story once I've wrote it :lol:

So anyway, the amount thats needed before I'd feel safe on the track it may be unlikely its done in time..

I'l keep the day off booked just incase though!

dont cancel the day just yet though, thats a weekends work? my lupo's not far of standard and it survives quite well. but my brakes are also slightly warped too.

as for your list of mods breamy. I expect to see you there with that lot.....no excuses!!!!

lol

dont cancel the day just yet though, thats a weekends work? my lupo's not far of standard and it survives quite well. but my brakes are also slightly warped too.

as for your list of mods breamy. I expect to see you there with that lot.....no excuses!!!!

lol

I want to be there its just money! It will be an expensive day for me and with a ring trip in may i need to make sure i can afford it!