Damn Clay bars!

I've bought a Meg's kit from Halifords..... it's good stuff..... 3 and a bloody half hours later to do the bloody bonnet!!! :furious:

My hand is killing! My back isn't much better! I'm just getting old :(

After 2 hours I was halfway through the bonnet and a neighbor asked me what i've been up to stood in one place for so long. So I told her what i've been doing and said that i've done half of the bonnet so far.... guess which side i've done?..... WELL!!! She only went and said the wrong bloody side :furious::furious:

How long is it meant to take? I've been doing it on my Arosa which is silver so it does show up every little mark and I will not leave any mark on there. Well unless it's a bad stone chip then i've not got much choice although it does seam to make it a little smaller :D

Oh and no after pics as it was dark when I finished. I'm sure that you'd not even be able to tell but I know it's been done and that's all that matters.

:cheers:

Edited by Steve TDI

I past over the bonnet in about 30 secs and the bar was really dirty. I just saw these little specks on there and thought i'd see if they could be removed.... they can.... all 300 million of them :lol:

So I just kept at it and next thing I know it's getting dark.

After i'd finished I went over the bonnet 2 times with MER. I've yet to Extra Gloss Protection it. That's when all the car is done.... in December :o

It's really smooth now. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow if it's sunny and you can tell.

Hi,

You wont really see any difference when claying, its the later stages when you notice i.e once you have polished and waxed.

The clay cleans the paintwork of tar,sap diesel etc etc, then you need to polish then wax it just gives you a flawlessly clean base to polish then protect!! b ut as said shouldnt take longer than say 5mins a panel really, otherwise you may mar the paint and that will mean youll need machine polish to correct.

Pete

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to have a good look then tomorrow to see if I have marked it or not.

What about these little spots that were coming off? With a quick wipe over they'd still be on. How else can you get them off? They were little silver spots. Like stone chips but they weren't stone chips. They are all gone now. I hope that they were only on the bonnet and not on the rest of the car.

Its brilliant but you need to do the whole routine.

Clay - removes all the contaminants, if you clean the car then stroke the back of your hand across a panel youll fell it is quite ruff and and drags. By claying you remove this and it leaves you with a sleek surface that is clean!! This then moves you too....

Polish - Now you polish the panel, ideally with a PC (random orbital machine) but if not by hand lol ;) then once you have polished the panels you want to........

Seal/Wax = protect all of the hard work you have just done!!

Claying definately worth doing.

does clay work well then? ive never used it just go down the old wash and polish route.

where abouts in barnsley you from steve?

It's brought up a lot of the dirt that wouldn't normally have come up. As you can tell, this is my 1st time i've used the clay bar. I normally just polish it up.

I live in Royston. Just down Lee Lane. In the big estate on your left. Where in Barnsley are you from Adam?

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to have a good look then tomorrow to see if I have marked it or not.

What about these little spots that were coming off? With a quick wipe over they'd still be on. How else can you get them off? They were little silver spots. Like stone chips but they weren't stone chips. They are all gone now. I hope that they were only on the bonnet and not on the rest of the car.

The spots are the contaminants, but they shouldnt need that much time to get off, always keep the panel well lubricated and make sure you continually fold and re shape the clay so your working with a clean claybar. just do a say 10inch by 10inch section then move on.

That's one thing that I got told to do by a friend. Keep folding it. I did do that a lot. The clay bar is still quite clean. The 1st pass over it was bad. When I was getting all the little bits off it wasn't really getting dirty anymore. I still ketp on folding it though.

Becca.... what you doing tomorrow??? :D :D

Edited by Steve TDI

lol! im busy ;)

You have probably done it fine! give it a dam good polish and wax then look at the result ;) the first time you clay you generally going to spend longer as its all new and your slower!

It was my 1st time. I was unsure what to do :blush:

The car has done 60k and i'm guessing it's never been done before. So when I do it next it should be a little easier.

Oh and NO i'm not going to do the Scoob or the Corsa next. I will be at it till i'm 70! :lol:

It's brought up a lot of the dirt that wouldn't normally have come up. As you can tell, this is my 1st time i've used the clay bar. I normally just polish it up.

I live in Royston. Just down Lee Lane. In the big estate on your left. Where in Barnsley are you from Adam?

In Mapplewell, The street down by the Co-op.

10 Points! yeah. Pretty random to find someone from barnsley on here lol. wasnt expecting tht,

EDIT: Well when i say i live there, im currently living in Huddersfield at University Halls but i live down carr green ln when im not at uni.

Edited by Taxi Adam

When you get your car we'll have to go for a photo shoot somewhere. After you've clay bar'd yours too :D

You ever see / hear a Blue Corsa with a small number plate on the front?

yeah for sure, ill read the instructions first though :P

corsa c? midnight blue? i think ive seen one of them, dunno if its the one ur on about.

i had a 'b' arden blue x14xe til i wrote it off just before christmas.

Yeah I did dry the car 1st BUT you don't use the Clay Bar on the car dry. It comes with lube that you spray onto the car.

Two tips.

1, Always keep it wet. It'll slide around a lot easier.

2, Keep folding the Clay Bar. You don't want to pick up some dirt and end up scratching the whole panel.

Ok thanks, but do you have to dry the car first?

Some clay bars use water as the lube, but the mags one uses QD, so in that case you would dry the car first. I always wash the car again after claying though

You don't have to use the Quick Detailer as a lubricant, the clay is abrasive so all it needs is something to make it slide across your paintwork otherwise it will stick to the paint like a putty.

I wouldn't use straight water as a lube but you can easily use a bit of diluted down car shampoo in a spray bottle, its certainly a lot cheaper than a bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer!!

I wouldn't use straight water as a lube but you can easily use a bit of diluted down car shampoo in a spray bottle, its certainly a lot cheaper than a bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailer!!

Bilt-hamber clay is meant for use with just water