number plate relocation

weemike91

hey guys does anyone have a faint idea of where i can relocate my number plate to on the back as im having the reccess filled

also what about lighting where will that go ?

mikey

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...=51501&st=0

bit of info there if you read it through, also a post with a link to some LED bolts to solve the lighting problem.

'the brown one' put it on the boot...

my vote is the back window though...have you had a quote on filling the recess?

Spotted a realy cool on on a polo at ud.

Had a bracket made inside the rear window with a light facing up on the trim and had the space of the numberplate cut out from the tint on back window.

Did that make sence?

Spotted a realy cool on on a polo at ud.

Had a bracket made inside the rear window with a light facing up on the trim and had the space of the numberplate cut out from the tint on back window.

Did that make sence?

yeah kinda lol...sounds cool but also like major effort :lol:

Edited by HAIRBear

What makes you say that? :)

(I don't disagree btw)

its to do with the glare that glass creates,

however the Lupo rear window is pretty straight and providing its not tinted glass you could possibly get away with it

I think it's a grey area - the angle is correct, it's right at the rear of the car, it can be read at 22m, the plate itself hasn't been treated, but it certainly is less clear behind glass. There's definitely a chance of trouble with plod if you do it but there's nothing specifically to say it's not legal.

I think it's a grey area - the angle is correct, it's right at the rear of the car, it can be read at 22m, the plate itself hasn't been treated, but it certainly is less clear behind glass. There's definitely a chance of trouble with plod if you do it but there's nothing specifically to say it's not legal.

I'd imagine there is some kind of issue with the lighting of the rear plate when its in the window like that ?

you cant have those LED billboard type things rear facing but can have them in side windows.

Saying that though Plod will have to prove you are doing something wrong and most of them wont have a clue

Led bolts is your answer for lighting ;)

I really don think its illegal at all to have it behind glass aslong as its lit and vertical.

I mean look at the back of this optare bus. The number plate is behind glass in the rear window too, if it was illegal, im sure they wouldnt have built them like that! and its only an 06 plate.

mx06acy_rear.jpg

John

Edited by CasperGTI

Technically, having LEDs for rear numberplate lights *is* illegal as all required lamps need to be filament based.

Having said that, so do headlamps - and xenons don't have a filament!

What about BMW's and Audis that come with LED rear lamps from factory. The stop, tail and indicators are LED and they are direct fit from a manufacturer so they are not illegal.

What about BMW's and Audis that come with LED rear lamps from factory. The stop, tail and indicators are LED and they are direct fit from a manufacturer so they are not illegal.

They're an exception because they're fitted from the factory and are covered under EU blah blah blah. The whole thing's a mess and needs rewriting to be honest.