my lupo s keeps cutting out

but only when your sat in traffic or not moving

its started to do it a little bit now driving at very

low speeds.

iv changed the spark plugs and ht leads

but no diffrent

any suggestions?

cheers

Mine does this, i have an induction kit on it and i think that that might have caused it,..... just keep revin it up!!! ;)

Have you cleaned out the throttle body? notorious for clogging up, leading to cutting out and crappy idling.

Mine does it les and less now that it's got the bmc on, though when i had the powertech induction kit with the crank breather pipe channeled into it it used to clog every few weeks.

If you have a BMC kit on it could be your throttle body as previously mentioned (easy to clean). However I had a problem a while back where my car cut out a few times and I found out that where I had fitted the BMC I had kinked the Crankshaft breather tube, which caused the car to cut out...

Got my dad to look at it and he immediately said this could have been the cause....so may be worth a look in! Otherwise could be coil pack or lambda sensor?

good luck! B)

I have the cure for you sonny!

Clean the throttle body/idol valve and the breather unit.

Mine was a constant problem like 3/4 times every journey no matter how far, then they were both cleaned out (filthy inside!) and yeh hasnt cut out since.

Do it. B)

iv ordered a cleaning kit for the filter

so im gonna give that a good clean

and ill do the throttle body aswell while im at it.

gonna take it to the garage monday aswell so they can check

all the sensors and what not.

cheers for all help guys :)

low speeds.

but no diffrent

any suggestions?

cheers

Why is it whenenver anyone posts any problems with their car my car decides to do the exact same thing!! LOL!

Mine did this this morning, i've notice it do it when it's wet actually come to think of it. I thought at first it was water splashing up to the intake since i connected the original air feed from the wing to the bmc (my inner wing is none existant) One thing i haven't put back on the car is the under tray, so water could be getting up to the coilpack as Nick stated.

Things to try anyway.

Coil packs just tend to go wrong after about 6 years minimum undertray or not, that's how often I would replace it.

On the newer spec VW's they have ignition coils so there is an independant coil pack per cylinder, its kind of like an ignition lead and a coil pack slammed together. And they go wrong every 4 years.

I treat it as a service part, same as other things you wouldn't think of doing such as the gearbox oil.

I treat it as a service part, same as other things you wouldn't think of doing such as the gearbox oil.

True Nick, very valid point, there is probably loads of bits that occasionally perish and deteriorate over time which normally you wouldn't think about, always thinking it was something more drastic than it is, i haven't looked at the prices of the coilpacks though, any rough prices?

I hope this helps the OP out in his quest for the answer, i know we've digressed a little in the topic.

Cheers

Pete

True Nick, very valid point, there is probably loads of bits that occasionally perish and deteriorate over time which normally you wouldn't think about, always thinking it was something more drastic than it is, i haven't looked at the prices of the coilpacks though, any rough prices?

A genuine VW coil pack is about £80, I bought a non-genuine off Ebay for £40ish delivered. Done the job nicely, but I stuck to genuine ignition leads and spark plugs etc.

I think the only non-genuine part I had under the bonnet was the coil pack. The coil pack cured my idle issue, when I rolled up to a junction the idle would dip briefly and then come up, almost stalled once so I got it changed.

Easy job to do yourself as well. Just don't put the ignition leads back on the wrong way. Lol.

Edited by Niche

• 2 weeks later...

low speeds.

but no diffrent

any suggestions?

cheers

mine started to do this and i found that my breather tube was blocked so i bought some carb cleaner and sprayed the carb internaly and externaly along with clearing the blockage. my loop sport never cuts out now and idles realy smoothly. hope this helps. carb cleaner was £5 and it was a 5 min job to remove filter box and spray into carb. cleaning the breather pipe took a little longer and was awful to do but its worth it.

A genuine VW coil pack is about £80, I bought a non-genuine off Ebay for £40ish delivered. Done the job nicely, but I stuck to genuine ignition leads and spark plugs etc.

I think the only non-genuine part I had under the bonnet was the coil pack. The coil pack cured my idle issue, when I rolled up to a junction the idle would dip briefly and then come up, almost stalled once so I got it changed.

Easy job to do yourself as well. Just don't put the ignition leads back on the wrong way. Lol.

Nick, great information as per, i shall be getting one of these methinks when some more money comes in. Shame really as the car is great in the dry, just as soon as there is any moisture in the air it starts acting loopy.

Cheers.