GTI side sills

Deepsea

Are Lupo GTI side sills steel and welded to the bodyshell or are they steel or plastic and bolt / clip fastened ?

Both.

They are bolted at the front in the wheelarch, and apprently they're spot welded too. They used to available as repair pannels when the car was in production. Nowow the only way to get hold of them is to, according from my quote from vw, is to buy an A pillar and cut off the bottom half.

Now the only way to get hold of them is to, according from my quote from vw, is to buy an A pillar and cut off the bottom half.

Do you mean C pillar? As in rear quarter? As the A pillar is by the windscreen and a totally different panel.

I have both the A pillar and C pillar on my quote. Slightly worried incase they've seen something else thats ****ed, but not *too* much as

a) im hoping Micky will rescue me

and b ) when i was looking on ETKA with the parts guy, the drawing shows the sill as being part of the A pillar :blink: (Imagine like a wonky L shape)

or smoething like that. Meh.

Edited by Clairey Fairy

I have both the A pillar and C pillar on my quote.

You know why?

They are quoting you for cutting up a complete panel and cutting and chopping the damaged sections and welding sections of the new panel in place.

Perfectly normal thing for a bodyshop to do, but if it was me, Id remove the whole panel and replace it with one piece.

That first pic made me rofl - looks like a phantom loop :lol:

Im papping myself after seeing this, feck nows why i have an A pillar on my quote and even worse i dont even want to think about the work involved.

I need Mitch....

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone,

Many thanks for your many varied replies and big thanks to Icegeezer for the photos of the of the complete side panel.

My initial thought that Lupo's have the same common body shell based on the assumption that to reduce costs standardisation of parts especially major ones was common practice is obviously wrong, I'm surprised that the GTI side sills were not a body kit fitted to a standard body but I guess there must have been good reasons.

So a good upgrade if it had been the case but to fit two complete new sides, not worth the hassle or expense me thinks.

Edited by Deepsea