VTec

LiamD

Man, I started this thread cos the video was funny, not to slate Hondas!

The Type Rs and S2k's are incredibly capable cars, and I can't think of many (if any) VW's that are superior as an all round car.

:rolleyes: some people aye? That videos funny! Made me chuckle when the women pull up and he gives it revs!! Got to love v-tec!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: some people aye? That videos funny! Made me chuckle when the women pull up and he gives it revs!! Got to love v-tec!

i dont do that, if i see something half decent ill blip the throttle :shades:

they always turn, bad when its a munter though :lol:

Man, I started this thread cos the video was funny, not to slate Hondas!

The Type Rs and S2k's are incredibly capable cars, and I can't think of many (if any) VW's that are superior as an all round car.

i found it funny :lol:

I'd still rather have the power there all the time rather than waiting for it. I upset a STI last night for pulling out on me due to his lag he couldn't get a way, then I had to turn off. It was a good job as his boost was about to come in and I was about to be left behind.

LOL Brilliant!

My brother has a 2008 Civic and although I personally think it is scrap (just bitter because he sold his Golf Mk5 GTi to buy it?!?!) I have always thought it odd that there is so much Honda bashing. Why do Honda generate this kind of response?

i used to be a vtec hater before i got one, mainly cos i had misconceptions about them brought on by reading other peoples views who probably hadn't ever driven them either.

i've had a wide variety of cars, from turbo'd jap crap, n/a vw's, turbo'd vag stuff, vag tdi's, etc.

i still think the vtec engine is a very good compromise, and the driver involvement from an s2k is in a different league to anything else i've driven.

I can see the vTec would be well matched to a sports car like the S2000, as you expect to drive a sports car hard it goes with that style of car. I still can not understand why a simple family hatchback (it is not a Type R) or saloon car owner would want to thrash the life out of the car. My brother has to really work his Civic if he has three people in it and it does not match the character of the car really if you get what I mean!

I can see the vTec would be well matched to a sports car like the S2000, as you expect to drive a sports car hard it goes with that style of car. I still can not understand why a simple family hatchback (it is not a Type R) or saloon car owner would want to thrash the life out of the car. My brother has to really work his Civic if he has three people in it and it does not match the character of the car really if you get what I mean!

my bros had 4 people in the ctr and *on a private road* still got 135mph on the road angel...

? 200+bhp hatch back for 3.5k? whats wrong with that?

*im not bragging im just saying for the price i cant complain & i have been offered 4k cash by mates & numerous px's*

Edited by Daz_Kez

at the end of the day i've only ever heard people rip v-tecs who have never had one...

but when we got ours, everyone loved it? so i dont get it to be honest,

however saying that, i still want a lupo purely because the ctr isn't really good for a boy of my age :P

Edited by Daz_Kez

I was not commenting on a Civic Type R.

I did say my brother did not buy a type R just a normal 2008 1.8 VTec in an attempt to cut his fuel bill with out resorting to diesel (hence my comment "just a normal family hatch") I would assume that a type r would be purchased by people who would enjoy driving the car hard my concern was how many owners of a mid-range hatch back, surely you would acknowledge that Type R's and "normal" Civics are bought buy different types of owner driver?

To make progress on the motorway his car (1.8) the car is pulling much higher RPM than many of the cars competitors, if he decides to exceed 70mph the engine generates alot of noise which seems at odds with the style of car (it is not a sporty car). The impression that his Civic gives is that the car is designed for one thing and the drivetrain for something lighter and more sporting.

I did say my brother did not buy a type R just a normal 2008 1.8 VTec in an attempt to cut his fuel bill with out resorting to diesel (hence my comment "just a normal family hatch") I would assume that a type r would be purchased by people who would enjoy driving the car hard my concern was how many owners of a mid-range hatch back, surely you would acknowledge that Type R's and "normal" Civics are bought buy different types of owner driver?

To make progress on the motorway his car (1.8) the car is pulling much higher RPM than many of the cars competitors, if he decides to exceed 70mph the engine generates alot of noise which seems at odds with the style of car (it is not a sporty car). The impression that his Civic gives is that the car is designed for one thing and the drivetrain for something lighter and more sporting.

i wasnt having a dig at you mate? :huh:;)

i was talking in general... :)

Sorry just seemed that you were suggesting I was being negative and inaccurate.

I have driven the previous shape Civic Type R and it seemed to work better (The chassis seemed tighter, engine and gearbox seemed well matched to the weight of the car) than the current Civic at least in the form we have (I have not driven a current type R).

My original question was simply I don't really understand why Honda seems to generate such responses from owners and non owners (my brother has been reading up on the internet as I do with my Lupo and he has commented that the Honda owners seem very defensive and unwilling to accept negative comments).

I personally have nothing against Honda's I just do not understand why people are either passionatelyy for or against if you get what I mean (because frankly I am beginning to wonder myself!)

Edited by JB1.0e

your brother made a poor choice then.

the honda 2.2 cdti diesel engine is one of the best on the market, and would offer better performance and economy than the 1.8 vtec. the vag 2.0 tdi's again would offer better performance and economy over a n/a petrol engine.

i don't ever understand peoples reluctance to purchase a diesel. the fabia vrs i owned was awesome and i'd have no issue buying another if my needs required me to have something more practical again.

His (My Brother) first car and second cars were both Lupo TDi's so he is not reluctant to go Diesel. He just did not want a diesel after the GTi and the Honda dealer told him the VTec was better than the 2.2 as he covers less than 12000miles a year! One of my clients is Honda Manufacturing in Swindon and when I told my contact there that she nearly fell off her chair! She had one as a company car and had to give it up for fear of losing her license!

I think that my brother would freely admit that he made a mistake buying the car, he has a number of problems that according to civinfo (CivicForum) are common place but his dealer is reluctant to sort out for him. I really think that after the Golf GTi any normal hatch was going to have a hard time but these silly faults ruin his enjoyment of the car and are colouring his opinion of Honda. From what I have read in Which and online Honda need to be very careful with the new Civic there seem to be alot of faults on these cars and they are at risk of damaging the reputation for reliablity and quality that they had built up.

They are really stupid things...

Numerous rattles

Door handles that work intermittantly

Reverse gear often fails to engage

The paint seems to pick up chips easier than any car we have ever owned, there are also different standards of paint finish on different panels

Steering pulls slightly

When he took the car back to Honda to have these issues addressed they basically fobbed him off with comments like you are just being picky.

We run an Accord on our fleet and after 94,000miles it has suffered fewer issues than the Avensis or Alfa (big surprise there!) so I was quite surprised that the dealer did not at least humour him when he told them he had some trouble.

The thing i dislike about the new civic is the spoiler in the middle of the windscreen... I also saw a car program where they raced the older one against the newer one... The Old was much much better in everyway! The newer one now has an LSD though which might make it alot better in the corners now. I think this was added this year or is a limited edition Type R

The thing i dislike about the new civic is the spoiler in the middle of the windscreen... I also saw a car program where they raced the older one against the newer one... The Old was much much better in everyway! The newer one now has an LSD though which might make it alot better in the corners now. I think this was added this year or is a limited edition Type R

its a shame :( because the jap spec 01> civic came standard with a lsd, the uk & european cars didnt :(

the original civic type r is still by far the best. a proper drivers car. and for people not into jdm cars, im not on about the uks first. im talking bout the jdm only, ek9 civic. 180bhp and 5.7 secs to 60 out of a 1.6 litre lump. thats vtec for you. amazing car to drive, just a shame i cant insure my own for a reasonable price at the moment

its a shame :( because the jap spec 01> civic came standard with a lsd, the uk & european cars didnt :(

I saw a civic type r the other day however it was the NEW jap one in a Saloon! They also come with Brembo brakes and I think Recaro seats..... Much nicer looking than the new type R civic hatch! the S2000 is the quickest car they do atm... NSX is cancelled and discontiuned over here...

I saw a civic type r the other day however it was the NEW jap one in a Saloon! They also come with Brembo brakes and I think Recaro seats..... Much nicer looking than the new type R civic hatch! the S2000 is the quickest car they do atm... NSX is cancelled and discontiuned over here...

they get everything :(

My Dad's mate traded in his S2k for one of the Jap Spec Civic Type R coupes or whatever they are.

They look awesome, and supposedly, one of the best FWD cars ever.

A mate of mine gets his champ white FN2 Type R delievered on the 4th of March. Perfect timing for the G40 being back on the road... :D