Graphics/vinyl on paint work!

Alex_225

Right, you see cars with vinyls on them etc.

Now I've always been concerned that if you put graphics on your car the paint is likely to fade round them. Is this really likely on a modern car.

For example, if I put a checquered roof on my Lupo is it likely that after a year or two you'd take them off and under the squares would be darker than rest of the paint?

:huh::huh:

My dad had a vw Transporter about 8 years ago, that had vinyl on it while it was at the VW garage which couldnt of been for too long. Once the vinyl had been taken off the vw sign and lettering they had put down the side were still visible if you looked closely. It was a white one though, duno if that makes any difference.

I guess it depends on whether its metallic paint or not.

I'd imagine a metallic would reflect the light more than solid and the solid would therefore bleach more in the light. I had a red Renault 5 and I took of a side badge, again that had faded but that car was about 12 years old at the time I took it off so had, had a good few years to fade.

Thing is you see a lot of cars with graphics as standard, RenaultSport Clios and Meganes, Focus ST and Fiesta STs etc.

Yeah exactly, I guess a manufacturer assumes that as long as the graphics last the length of the warranty thats their job done and dusted.

I guess if I had my roof sprayed black, had a chequered vinyl applied then kept the surface well waxed it'd probably be ok. A lot of waxes protect against UV fading.

Yeah exactly, I guess a manufacturer assumes that as long as the graphics last the length of the warranty thats their job done and dusted.

I guess if I had my roof sprayed black, had a chequered vinyl applied then kept the surface well waxed it'd probably be ok. A lot of waxes protect against UV fading.

i don think itd fade that much really how long do you intend to keep the graphics on for?

if its just the roof and ur planning on paint at som epoint. just vinyl it and wen u take the vinyl off and its faded just paint over the original colour again,,

I think if you putting on the loop you should be okay. Can't imagine it would fade to badly, should be able to machine polish the whole car and it should be back to normal. I mean you never really see faded silvers cars. If you see old red cars they are always pink and solid blues seem to suffer but you never seem to see faded silver cars.

I think if you putting on the loop you should be okay. Can't imagine it would fade to badly, should be able to machine polish the whole car and it should be back to normal. I mean you never really see faded silvers cars. If you see old red cars they are always pink and solid blues seem to suffer but you never seem to see faded silver cars.

Okay, heres a question for you, how do you polish a car that has loads of graphics with a) spending days cutting in or 2) damaging the graphics? LOL

To be honest, you're not that likely to damage a vinyl by polishing it unless you're using a machine polish.

If you're polishing by hand then you'd probably be using something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish which is only midly abrasive so wouldn't wreck a vinyl. When it comes to waxing I'd wax over the top of the vinyls as well.

The paint will deff be darker under the graphics when you take them off, my dads had this issue on a few of his cars, i.e his sumpo power evo 6.

Will have to give it a mega t-cut an polish and the paint will be back to norm.

on normal paint it wouldnt be an issue to tcut the colour back but on metallics the sun fades the colour coat which is under the clear coat so machine polishing of anysort will likely to be a waste of time as youll only be buffing the clear coat