My mum is banned from driving my car!

Guest Lauryn

I park my car behind my mums in the driveway, and move it if she needs out first. Yesterday, she went and moved the car out the driveway and parked it on the street for me. I went out, no longer then 10 mins later, and the car wouldnt start! It sounded as if it was choking when I tried to start it, then would cut out? So not as if it was turning over etc, but not starting.

I tried every few mins and about 15 mins later it finally started (making me late for work!), but I cant understand how it started no problem for her, then 10 mins later nothing?? She is a bit of a tit so I wouldnt be surprised if shes doing something wrong, but I cant work it what?! No warning lights etc came on. Anyone?!

wasnt the battery?

See I got home about midnight and parked it, and this was about 1:15 she moved it, so it hadnt been sitting long, and I went out at 1:25 - could it have gone funny in that time? No lights etc had been left on, it was just moved a few metres then parked? Started fine after work etc too, no problems at all!

id say the engine was flooded...if you start a cold engine then turn it off after a minute it can sometimes flood the cylinders next time you try start it

well thats my theory ^_^

could have been worse

my mom borrowed mine to go to the shops while her clutch was broke on her corsa and come back with a scuff on the front bumper with white paint on it

she'd only gone and scraped it on the bollards at the exit <_<

I'd say battery, the missus loop done this. She was saying that she couldn't start her car in the morning. So went and had a look (abut 7pm so stood all day) and it fired up first time. So she looked dumb, but then we went to get some dinner about 5mins later and it was dead, Nothing at all!!

Got her a new battery from work and now its perfect!

She probaly started it and over revved it whilst moving and turned it off or maybe [more likely] stalled it in it's new parking position.

This will have caused the engine to stop suddenly whilst "cold start" was overfulling to compenstae for the cold, leaving unignited fuel in the chamber (flooded).

Flooding is not good for the engine as it will strip all the oil ffrom your cylinder. Don't be tempted to rev it when you eventually get it started, leave it to idle gentle until the oil has re-circulated to give you full protecttion again.

like it did up glasgow that night?mine done that once was the immobiliser have u got a aftermarket alarm or that on the car?

That night I had the keys in but the engine off, had been listening to music for a bit chatting so I assume I was using battery power without the engine running.

I think the overfueling thing sounds about right. I was just a bit concerned that its fine one minute then dead the next!

Thanks everyone

Lauryn

I'd say it could be the cold start sensor.

This sensor knows when the engine is cold and requests more petrol from the fuel lines, if this sensor is faulty, it doesn't sense that it's cold and therefore doesn't request enough fuel to start the car. You may have a little trouble through the winter but in summer you'll be fine again.

Either this or same as others, it was flooded with fuel, keep an eye during cold mornings and you'll soon find out for yourself which it is.

I should really read my posts before posting, that way I wouldn't have to edit the typing errors ... lol

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

I'd say it could be the cold start sensor.

This sensor knows when the engine is cold and requests more petrol from the fuel lines, if this sensor is faulty, it doesn't sense that it's cold and therefore doesn't request enough fuel to start the car. You may have a little trouble through the winter but in summer you'll be fine again.

Either this or same as others, it was flooded with fuel, keep an eye during cold mornings and you'll soon find out for yourself which it is.

I should really read my posts before posting, that way I wouldn't have to edit the typing errors ... lol

Its never done it at all before, even at freezing temperatures in cold winter mornings, so I am assuming the latter!

Lauryn

When the engine is stone cold and is started the engine control unit holds the fuel injectors on for longer adding more fuel to add start up it only dose this for the first few minuites of running, as buy then the exhaust will be getting hot or cooling system thus heating the incoming air allowing the fuel to attomize helping combustion the engine revs will also lower after warm up.

So if you only run your car for a few mins from cold and switch off the spark plugs can sometimes get wet because of the extra fuel this will make starting difficult .

flooded. You shouldnt start a car then turn it off when still cold - does it no favors at all.

It would be in the excess fuel setting and when switched of it would leave the unburnt fuel in the bores effectively washing all the lubrication from the pistons and bores - next time it starts no lubrication and metal to metal contact giving accelerated wear.

Also one for winter starting an engine and leaving it ticking over is not good - scrape your windows get in start and drive straight of.

Also one for winter starting an engine and leaving it ticking over is not good - scrape your windows get in start and drive straight of.

how come? i thought it was best to let it warm up before driving it? genuine question...

how come? i thought it was best to let it warm up before driving it? genuine question...

No, this caused all sorts of problems. Everything gets all carboned up, and is generally bad for the car. Plus, you may be warming the engine up but the drivetrain etc will still be flat cold

The engine is designed to be driven, at best idle speed is uneven and puts more strain on the engine.

If you listen to your gearbox at idle you will normally hear gear clatter which isnt a gearbox fault its the engine running unevenly.

There are other reasons but i'm far too lazy to type them all in.

Hope this helps.

Andy