Weight loss

L4RRY

I'm sure there's a thread about this somewhere already, but just wondering what, if anything you guys have done in the way of weight loss?

I'm about to install my sub, amp etc which'll obviously add a bit of unwanted stress. I've thought about taking out rear seats, replacing grills with mesh.. (all obvious things)

Any of you thought of/done anything different?

Would be good to know..

Cheers!

You could remove the rear seats, it will also give you more room for a bigger sub.

Weight reduction is critical in these Lupo's however you don't want to unbalance the car as it is a well balanced car. So whatever weight you shift from the rear should be shifted from the front too.

You could remove the rear seats, it will also give you more room for a bigger sub.

Weight reduction is critical in these Lupo's however you don't want to unbalance the car as it is a well balanced car. So whatever weight you shift from the rear should be shifted from the front too.

There are tons of things you could do.

It depends on how far you want to take it.

Step 1:

Lightweight wheels (unsprung weight which is huge)

Aftermarket exhaust

Small Dry-cell battery

Engine Cover Delete

Rear Seat Delete

Stock tools/foam Delete

Step 2:

Full-bucket seats

Swapping out stock steering wheel

CF hood

Lightweight flywheel

This is where you start to sacrifice comfort

Step 3:

Changing rear windows to plexi-glass

Remove A/C (including compressor and condensor) and radio

Remove carpeting and sound-deadening

Remove airbags

Remove power window motors

Remove all interior panels (visors too)

If you trying to save weight don't but a sub and amp in it :S

I want the sub.. i'm building it into the spare wheel compartment so no box.. I also have a lightweight amp. Just trying to get the right balance!

There are tons of things you could do.

It depends on how far you want to take it.

Step 1:

Lightweight wheels (unsprung weight which is huge)

Aftermarket exhaust

Small Dry-cell battery

Engine Cover Delete

Rear Seat Delete

Stock tools/foam Delete

Step 2:

Full-bucket seats

Swapping out stock steering wheel

CF hood

Lightweight flywheel

This is where you start to sacrifice comfort

Step 3:

Changing rear windows to plexi-glass

Remove A/C (including compressor and condensor) and radio

Remove carpeting and sound-deadening

Remove airbags

Remove power window motors

Remove all interior panels (visors too)

Yup. I found the pancake air filter system on my Polo mk2 weighed quite a bit, a bolt on k&n air filter sorted that issue.

My rear cluster lights weighed a bit so I replaced them with some tinted crystal ones.

It's unbelieveable how much you can do to reduce the weight of any car.

I think you can only really appreciate GTI doors after picking up stock ones and GTI ones.

agree there, as soon as you pop a steel(?if im correct) door off the hinge its amazing how heavy it is

weight saving is alot to think about if you want a fast car,

power to weight ratio is everything

Using bathroom scales I made a Eurocarparts steel bonnet to be 11kg and a GTI one 6kg.

Every carbon bonnet I've seen for sale has been heavier than a GTI bonnet.

i can believe that, theres different "levels" of carbon as such

1: carbon fibre & fibreglass

2: carbon fibre & kevlar

3: fully carbon fibre

don't know of any others

but a fully carbon bonnet ie. (3) should weigh about 3-4kg (about £200 dearer than the one below would be, and they aren't cheap)

a carbon fibre & fibre glass ie. (1) should weight around 6kg (cheaper)

I think a-lot about owning a car, is how fast it feels not how fast it actually is. Certain things like induction kits and taking the rear seats out make very little difference to performance but the increased noise and such makes it feel a-lot faster than it is. Kind of like a 1L on coilies it makes the most of what power its got and the driving experience is still fun.

Its not all about spending a-lot of money on real weight loss unless its for track/ competition use, as fun can be had a-lot cheaper.

I think a-lot about owning a car, is how fast it feels not how fast it actually is. Certain things like induction kits and taking the rear seats out make very little difference to performance but the increased noise and such makes it feel a-lot faster than it is. Kind of like a 1L on coilies it makes the most of what power its got and the driving experience is still fun.

Its not all about spending a-lot of money on real weight loss unless its for track/ competition use, as fun can be had a-lot cheaper.

If you're talking about induction kits on a car with throttle bodies then there is hardly any difference.

If you're talking about carbs then there is all the difference in the world. My Polo mk2 was 55bhp standard, 63bhp with a weber 32/34 twin choke carb, 67bhp with a k&n bolt-on filter.

If you're talking about induction kits on a car with throttle bodies then there is hardly any difference.

If you're talking about carbs then there is all the difference in the world. My Polo mk2 was 55bhp standard, 63bhp with a weber 32/34 twin choke carb, 67bhp with a k&n bolt-on filter.

what that dont make sence to me just sounds like you wanna tell us you owned a polo mk2 at every post

a std car with an air filter will be louder and to the driver it sounds faster

get rid of seats again the zorst and road noise are louder thus making it sound a tad faster

but to the lad who posted this thread dont worry about weight loss or any of the above as you will have your tunes on so dont matter

if you want real weight loss cut out every bracket you dont use and dump half the wiring loom as that is a bloody mess and weights a ton

dyno1od3.jpg

63bhp acheived with the pancake filter

67bhp acheived with a k&n bolt-on filter

Sounds faster or is faster?

And who cares about sound on a modern car with a throttle body. Carburettors sound mean.

Edited by Niche

Noddy knows. :thumbsup:

Im talking about driving experience not power. :coffee: It doesn't matter how fast something is if you have fun driving it, and things like more noise can increase than experience.

I bet the 1.2 chipped :coffee:

• 2 weeks later...

hearing the road noise and the engine noise can get a little tiresome ofter a while lol , iv got a 106 1.4 8v atm and i had everything out at one point ( there was just 1 seat and the dashboard lol)

it did make a considerable differance to the aceleration of the car and the handeling but it was bluddy loud incide lol

Edited by _joey_