Yellow Lupo, ....... The we slut

little rich

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or for that matter what wide, non banded steels are Jowey...

For all those who are unable to use google or cannot understand what it says when you do use it, here is an idiots guide!

Mattig steel wheel = Wide wheels made in the same way as a standard steel wheel.

Banded steel wheel = Standard steel wheel cut down the middle with a big "band" of steel welded into them to make them wider. They should then be pressure tested to make sure they are safe, however they are still illegal as it is seen that the bands may collapse causing a loss of control.

you can also get 'flipped' steels where the center has been removed and replaced the opposite way around

and then there is the old inner lip outer .. lip swap

True but I still wouldn't fancy having a set,

Leave making wheels to wheel manufacturers, your wheels and tyres are ulimately what is keeping your car on the road, I wouldn't fancy a dodgy weld landing me in a hedge... or worse!!

Weld them properly then. If they're welded well I wouldn't say there's anything to worry about. They're welded in the first place, flipping the centres round sounds the safest, same number of welds as standard.

Car looks mint, by the way, Rich. :)

Edited by Philplop

Car's looking sweet, hope to get wheels and coils on mine next week had them for a while an still not fitted yet. Do you know of any meets in the midlands as would be keen to go along :D

cheers, there are dub-clique.com meets in leicter that seem to be pretty good, a few in MK too that ill go to once the weather picks up

where did you get those wheels buddy?

they look good on your lupo, im looking at wheels atm dont want anything to flash and your wheels look sweet

cheers jack

i got them off ebay, snapped them up after a few hours of the auction started, then got them refurbed etc.

and cheers all for the comments and all the steel wheel spam! :P good lesson for those that dont know though,

Rich

Edited by little rich

Banded steel wheel = Standard steel wheel cut down the middle with a big "band" of steel welded into them to make them wider. They should then be pressure tested to make sure they are safe, however they are still illegal as it is seen that the bands may collapse causing a loss of control.

Thats completely wrong, banded steel wheels are in no way illegal neither are they an MOT fail.

"There are no specific regulations in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended (C&U) relating to the type of work you propose.

Regulation 100 of C&U does require that all parts fitted to a vehicle are not likely to cause a danger to the user of the vehicle or other road users.

Additionally, you will need to ensure that the wheels do not protrude from the wheel arches, or that modifications are made to the bodywork of the vehicle to ensure that the wheels do not protrude."

Thats what VOSA has to say about it.

Anyhoo, sweet car mate, really want to get myself some mattig steels now, however i do know the owner of wide wheels so would be rude not to ge some banded by him.

I stand corrected, I was always under the impression that although a banded wheel would pass an MOT they were illegal for road use and if you were pulled over you'd get a telling off for them.

You still won't catch me running a set when its far easier and probably just as expensive to buy a wide steel wheel!

it may be just as expensive to buy a wide steel wheel but you dont get the vast choice in wheel style if you do that! which is why most people get them banded! as long as they have the certificate to ay they are ok, like the widewheels boys give, then there is no worries IMO!!

• 2 weeks later...

took a few pictures today, only on the camera phone so not great!

and both cars all dirty.

1st of all my grandads 07 mk5 gti with just under 2k on the clock :) (promised he's giving it to me when i can afford the insurance!)

luuuuup001.jpg

the loop (industrial estate up near us)

luuuuup006.jpg

luuuuup007.jpg

luuuuup008.jpg

luuuuup009.jpg

Rich,

Edited by little rich

looooove it! your cars a slut too? mine is also shes also gay

in this case i heard the car is a slut,

but the owner is gay :P

i don't know if its true though ;)

haha only jokin obviously rich, new pics look smart :shades:

Rich its looking awesome mate! How many sets of wheels do you have for that car now lol?

Are them pics from the Dub Clique meet yesterday? Was going to go but was not sure if I would know any one there?

Luke :)

cheers matey!

they were yes, you should come along alot of friendly faces, ill be at the next one if you fancy it?

also whens the next bucks vag meet? id like to come along if thats cool,

cheers Luke,

cheers matey!

they were yes, you should come along alot of friendly faces, ill be at the next one if you fancy it?

also whens the next bucks vag meet? id like to come along if thats cool,

cheers Luke,

Rich, your always welcome at the BucksVAG meets, keep an eye on the events section, Trying to get a massive MK meet going!

Next Dubclique meet I will follow you down for sure! Just let me know when :)