1.9tdi

rivet58

10k is way more than you need for a 1.8T conversion - 6k is more reasonable.

I think the problem with the 1.9TDI would be just too much torque to cope with in such a light car - even the `lower-powered` variants in heavier cars spin the wheels at the slightest provocation, a tuned one in a Lupo chassis could be very difficult to get the power put down.

I'm not all that mechanically savvy, but I saw a list price of 10k once for a drive in drive out. Gearbox would need to be changed too. I think a lot of adaptation needs to be done to fit the engine as it's not just a slot in job - I don't think the mountings are even in the same place are they?

Do you know that or guess that? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Whether or not they've done any Lupos or not, I imagine they'll have done a fair few Polos, which are pretty much the same, engine bay wise.

yeah, about 50Kg heavier than the turbo if i remember correctly (cupra is identical in tdi and 1.8T versions other than the extra weight of the engine)

think they'd struggle to fit it (see the pic i posted in general chat) and need a toughter gearbox, upgraded brakes woudl be a must (even just to compensate for the weight far less the performance) and then you'd need a LSD or some sort of traction control to get the power down and much wider tyres which would mean some arch work as 195/35/17s wouldn't be enough. It would probably go like a rocket in a straight line if it was sorted though might handle like a dog unless you fitted nice suspension all round an set it up quite firmly for track work only.

The reason the 1.8Turbo was so expensive (Awesome were charging 10k+VAT) was because it requires alot of custom parts, and things like the engine mounts aren't in the right place. Apparently, according to Ian (VW Cup guy) its a bastard of a job.

1.9TDi would be madness...I know we've talked about it but it could be about `250-300lb`/ft of torque in the little thing...I wouldn't be surpised if it just ripped the car in half wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Fast though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...