New tele

Huw Pugh

Plasma is what the people who know buy mate. LCD cannot match plasma on performance, Plus all the plasma scare mongering by people who no nothing about AV stuff.

I would be buying this for £600

http://avforums.pgpartner.co.uk/search_get...d=63593014/fd=1

Or this if 1080p is important to you

http://avforums.pgpartner.co.uk/search_get...d=70342474/fd=1

also if you buy from an authorised retailer instore like Richer Sounds I think Panasonic are still offering a free 5 year warranty which is what I got when I bought my new TV a couple of months ago

Edited by L119 UPO

We just bought a Toshiba 42" Full HD LCD from Costco, 5 year warranty and just over your budget.

Same TV at John Lewis was £80 dearer.

Really pleased with it. :)

I was told Sony dont make TV's they are made by someone else and badged Sony.

99% of the companys dont make there own TV's, Well the panels mostly. They are made by the same company but the internals are different.

Not so sure about Plasma being better the LCD. Most of the manufacture's are stopping plasma and now only doing LCD. Pioneer to name one and there top end 50" plasma is the best ever voted for by the pro's. So there LCD's must be good to stop production of that!

Plasma is what the people who know buy mate. LCD cannot match plasma on performance, Plus all the plasma scare mongering by people who no nothing about AV stuff.

Ding ding ding....the correct answer!

Read the AVForums, ignore the LCD fanboys trying to justify their purchase, and you'll see how true this is.

I bought the Panny 37" PX80 model after alot of research, and it ****** over any LCD for SD viewing, anywhere near that price range. You need to spend a fortune on a good LCD to get similar performance.

LCD's are better for gaming, however, but as I bought my TV to watch TV, and the majority of my viewing is SD, it was an easy decision to make. 1080P is marketing crap anyway, you need over a 50" screen and sit about 2 feet away to be able to tell the difference.

Not so sure about Plasma being better the LCD. Most of the manufacture's are stopping plasma and now only doing LCD. Pioneer to name one and there top end 50" plasma is the best ever voted for by the pro's. So there LCD's must be good to stop production of that!

That is a load of tosh mate, Pioneer make the best plasmas available. They have the top end nich market and the real truth is that they are working on LCD's for the first time (to grab the top end LCD nich market). They only make 50" plasmas and above now with their new 9g range starting from about £2500 and you wont find the likes of these in currys anymore, youll have to go to a store like sevenoaks to buy these beauties.

Pioneer are now using Panasonic screens in their Kuro range, and if you want the very best TV money can buy then it has to be a Pioneer Kuro, Panasonic plasmas coming in second with slightly less performance for much less money.

In my experiance Richer Sounds only sell old models

I got my Panny plasma from there back in may, and it was a brand spanking new model. Richer sounds are great and they will pricematch web prices so long as the competitor has a high street store. They also have VIP club prices if you sighn up to the newsletter.

It will all be out the window when OLED kicks off ;)

My dad got the 50"Pioneer from the hi-fi show in Bristol. It was the best out at the time but it was a few years agao before the Kuro range. Its good but i think my LCD beats it on picture quality regardless of it being 32".

Plus i have Ambilight :P

It will all be out the window when OLED kicks off ;)

:P

That will be a good 5 years away yet tho mate, If you buy a plasma now youll want a new one around that time anyway. Pioneer have only been top dog for the last few years really, and Plasma's have come along way in that time aswell just as LCD's have.

The truth is that LCD's do not have the black levels of a plasma, cannot handle fast action like a plasma can, have more jaggies at a 42". There are lots of scary things that a Currys salesman will tell you about plasma, these are either way over exaggerated scare tactics or genuine lack of proper knowlege about the stuff they are selling.

Currys will have all the TV's they want to shift hooked up to a HD source for a start, and yes Samsung are the biggest sellers out there but thats only because people listen to the likes of a currys salesman and get scared of buying plasma when there is absolutely no need to.

A guy in currys told me that Panasonic screens are prone to faults and that samsung are the best. that was even before asking me what I wanted it for and what my budget was. Case closed, i think they have bigger margins on Samsung models so push those on people.

Edited by L119 UPO

Nope i agree. Thats why its always best to do your homework to find out the best ones from the end users like you and me. :)

Now we just need more HD content :angry:

Edited by M4T VW

I do hope that bluray and HD in general does hit the mainstreem soon because it does offer a much more enthraling experience, but with the credit crunch it looks like we will be waiting a little longer.

Bluray is still a way away from a final platform, but when you have all the other kit ready it's a must have.

Edited by L119 UPO

Do you think it will all go HD in the end?

without a doubt, just a matter of time as people go out and upgrade. Freeview is going HD once the digital switchover is complete, and things are a little more settled now that HD DVD is out of the picture.

The amount of time it takes for HD to become mainstreem all depends on demand ofcourse.

The truth is that LCD's do not have the black levels of a plasma, cannot handle fast action like a plasma can, have more jaggies at a 42". There are lots of scary things that a Currys salesman will tell you about plasma, these are either way over exaggerated scare tactics or genuine lack of proper knowlege about the stuff they are selling.

If you want something for gaming or your PC then get LCD.... TV go with Plasma....

I was in currys a few years back when I was looking to buy a panel... I was with my brother who also works for Sky... The sales man told us it wasn't worth spending the money to go HD as it will never happen in the UK.... We tried correcting him but he said he had contacts really high up in the industry... So high up that the best job he could get was in Currys.... ha ha ha ha ha

I just buy something I like the look off for the room.. You get used to the picture what ever it is... You can only really tell when you are in a shop and have others around to compare it too.... I still watch most of my tv on an old Sony 30 inch LCD in the lounge.... But then again I watch uncompressed HD at work so whatever I get will be ****e.....

another point is plasma consumer a fair bit of electricity over LCD.. They also run hotter so I guess you can save on heating in the winter months!

without a doubt, just a matter of time as people go out and upgrade. Freeview is going HD once the digital switchover is complete, and things are a little more settled now that HD DVD is out of the picture.

The amount of time it takes for HD to become mainstreem all depends on demand ofcourse.

I get the heads up on all HD channels going on to the Sky platforms sometimes a year before they soft launch.... More and more are on the way.. Each MUX running SD channels have around 10 channels on them.. Sky run 3 HD channels on 1 MUX... They are building more and more to cope with the Demand and improve on bandwidth.. There is even talk of another Satelite going up soon.... Currently BBC have increased there bandwidth for the Olympics so it runs about 20% more than other highend Sky Channels...

HD freeview will have a really low bandwidth... Will be better than their SD freeview but no were near the quality of Sky.

If you want something for gaming or your PC then get LCD.... TV go with Plasma....

I was in currys a few years back when I was looking to buy a panel... I was with my brother who also works for Sky... The sales man told us it wasn't worth spending the money to go HD as it will never happen in the UK.... We tried correcting him but he said he had contacts really high up in the industry... So high up that the best job he could get was in Currys.... ha ha ha ha ha

I just buy something I like the look off for the room.. You get used to the picture what ever it is... You can only really tell when you are in a shop and have others around to compare it too.... I still watch most of my tv on an old Sony 30 inch LCD in the lounge.... But then again I watch uncompressed HD at work so whatever I get will be ****e.....

another point is plasma consumer a fair bit of electricity over LCD.. They also run hotter so I guess you can save on heating in the winter months!

I know what you mean. The 50" Pioneer gets really hot its hard to hold your hand on the back after a few hours. Its like a radiator in the room!

My LCD is a "green LCD" and although the screen gets hot. Its not too bad and doesnt use much power.

Saying that, Ive got too many screens anyway :blush:

http://gti-online.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ima...0607800x600.JPG

HD freeview will have a really low bandwidth... Will be better than their SD freeview but no were near the quality of Sky.

Without a doubt SKY HD will be worth having once there is more content to watch, it is a little misleading tho because at the moment even on the HD channels it is not all HD material :o

In my experience freeview has given me a better picture than SD sky, so wait a while before making judgements on freeview HD it might just suprise us.