On the motorway...

Alex_225

Look to the left of this page...I live in London...where the hell are you supposed to drive fast? That's what the track is for.

I fought Laandan was the best place on earf and 'ad everything you could ever want guvnor!

:rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont undersatnd this "over"revving problem people have with a sport...wen im in a hurry its all the way to 6K (rpm) before i change, it cant be bad for the car as the redline is 6200rpm. That sed and to answer the question in hand i drive at around 80 on the motorway which is 4000rpm in my sport. And btw i live in cheshire which is great for fast roads :D

Edited by bigkingdingaling

I wasn't really referring to you, but that's bullshit, there's plenty of brilliant B-roads that you can stretch the cars legs on without breaking the speed limit.

Although I have no knowledge of B-roads in London...

There are B-roads in the suburbs yes, and there's about twenty speed cameras on each one (sorry safety cameras) and a copper round each corner. When you live on the edge of the city, its a bit of a different story.

Your arguing with a man who lives in London when you don't...that's like a drunken man arguing with a sober man lol.

Edited by Niche

There are B-roads in the suburbs yes, and there's about twenty speed cameras on each one (sorry safety cameras) and a copper round each corner. When you live on the edge of the city, its a bit of a different story.

Your arguing with a man who lives in London when you don't...that's like a drunken man arguing with a sober man lol.

Well if you don't like London: Move!

Believe it or not there is life outside of the M25!

For the record with a 1.4 75bhp gearbox in a sport i get the following.

60mph

PICT3511.jpg

65mph

PICT3512.jpg

70mph

PICT3513.jpg

80mph

PICT3515.jpg

And before anyone comments about the temp gauge rocketing on the 80mph one, i generally sit between 60-70 as the temp is better, until i fix the water pump then this is normal.

For the record with a 1.4 75bhp gearbox in a sport i get the following.

60mph

PICT3511.jpg

65mph

PICT3512.jpg

70mph

PICT3513.jpg

80mph

PICT3515.jpg

And before anyone comments about the temp gauge rocketing on the 80mph one, i generally sit between 60-70 as the temp is better, until i fix the water pump then this is normal.

Well thats with a 1.4S gearbox. All Sport drivers wish they had an S gearbox. If I sit at 70mph I'm pulling nearly 4k.

Nice mileage ....................... by the way. I still doubt that's a water pump issue.

Edited by Niche

Unfortunately i couldn't find a replacement sport gearbox in the time i needed one. As i too used to sit that high, was great for overtaking on the motorway, now for 4k i'm already at 90. so i do tend to stay in 4th a lot longer these days.

Mileage is good.

we'll see when i 've done it.

Well thats with a 1.4S gearbox. All Sport drivers wish they had an S gearbox. If I sit at 70mph I'm pulling nearly 4k.

I'm not sure why you'd think that - a sport gearbox is best for a sport engine (bar perhaps some sort of custom made job). Even if you're sitting just above 3K at 80mph, you'd probably be using the same or less fuel in a sport at the same speed, regardless of RPM.

To be honest i'm not fussed about the fuel, although i've had a better return due to the lower rpm since fitting the gearbox. It isn't as responsive as when i had the closer ratios in but it'll pull for longer, plus it'll have a better chance of getting quick times on a strip when i fit the charger through not having to change up many times.

We'll see anyway.

I'm fairly surprised at you getting better MPG with a non-sport gearbox tbh - even if the RPM is lower, you should have to push the throttle down further to compensate. I'd have thought that with an 80mph drag factor, a 1.4 petrol engine would start to struggle at 3K. Then again, I don't know much about what the setup was aimed at with regard to performance/economy.

Yeah i was surprised when i took it out for a drive, as it was quite strange at first, having into stay in the gear longer to get up the the power band.

it does struggle a little though there is a little more torque with the sport than the 75bhp so that compensates a little. plus i can drop to 4th for a long incline or peppier driving etc.

range now for filling up is anywhere between 260 and 290 miles. with the sport box, due to the nature of it was a lot less than that.

I don't mind it though it's a little strange driving our gti and having to change so quickly, but it's well rapid in comparision!! just a beast!

Edited by Tallika_Fan

I personally like to set the cruise at 72 :coffee:

I knew there was one missing from my photos, it's the 75mph one.

PICT3514.jpg

THats pretty nice gearing there!

Im not at all suprised you get better MPG, although i can see you would need to work the gears and revs to gain speed, but sitting at 70 for hours at a time will give you so much more economy than a normal sport box.

It's not fair. I want to do 70mph at 3,000rpm. :(

I hate pottering around at 60mph although its good fun watching a corsa fly past you. :wacko:

Buy a TDi!!!

You can drive it hard and fast, still not be doing many revs, it feels nippy and the economy is still great! :coffee:

Im not at all suprised you get better MPG, although i can see you would need to work the gears and revs to gain speed, but sitting at 70 for hours at a time will give you so much more economy than a normal sport box.

Cruise control would be lovely!!

Yeah i have to work it though it is much nicer on long journeys, I can tend to get there quicker (just) and still use the same fuel i would have in the old setup.

Buy a TDi!!!

You can drive it hard and fast, still not be doing many revs, it feels nippy and the economy is still great! :coffee:

NEVER!!!!!!!

Probably will in the future but if Diesel gets any moe expensive it will end up being cheaper to drive a petrol rather than a diesel bunsen burner. :lol:

EDIT: Tallika Fan...I just noticed your engine temp, not healthy! Get it sorted. :P

Edited by Niche

Cruise control would be lovely!!

It is! Although ive not done a long run with it yet, looking forward to that this eveing ;)

NEVER!!!!!!!

Probably will in the future but if Diesel gets any moe expensive it will end up being cheaper to drive a petrol rather than a diesel bunsen burner. :lol:

I know! Ive been thinking the same thing, i bet there will become a point where a diesel is more expensive to run, and i bet a few cars are in that situation. You need a really economical diesel to make the different atm.

Still, i prefer the drive of a diesel now, so i carnt see me going to a petrol.