how much power from a gti?

gkjnr

Neither should affect consumption. Unless you like the sound too much and put your foot down more. Which you probably will.

Neither will give any noticeable gains either, a manifold is your best bet if you want more power.

Coilovers would be first on my list for any car, put the power you have to good use before you worry about getting any more. :shades:

cheers man!

will probably get coilies and a mid section, you reckon it'll sound better?

i think standard gti's sound nice, just need a bit more growl haha

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will affect consumption.....

The BMC allows a less restricted flow of air in to the engine, it can get more air in, so the air/fuel ratio will be adjusted to suit. More air = more fuel. Its not dramatic, but it will make a difference, my BMC has taken off about 15 miles to a tank ive worked out.

Anything that allows the engine to breathe easier will affect the consumption, air/fuel can get in quicker and out quicker....

John

whats the cams gonna do then tigz for the gti engine?

In what way?

The cams operate how long the valves stay open, thats as much as I know.

Have not got the cash to do it yet, so not done any research into them.

In what way?

The cams operate how long the valves stay open, thats as much as I know.

Have not got the cash to do it yet, so not done any research into them.

Think he means consumption wise?

Do cams shorten the engines life? or was someone having me on when they were telling me that haha?! :blink:

I cant see how they can shorten the life spam.

So long as the fueling has been adjusted to match, I cant see how you it could cause any issues.

But yes, fuel consumption will obviously be increased.

Any form of tuning will increase the amount of fuel used.

Power Power = More fuel.

I cant see how they can shorten the life spam.

So long as the fueling has been adjusted to match, I cant see how you it could cause any issues.

But yes, fuel consumption will obviously be increased.

Any form of tuning will increase the amount of fuel used.

Power Power = More fuel.

Yea that makes sense, witha sensible cam like the 7606702s would it yeild a noticable gain? or is it more of a torque gain than a bhp gain?

Lots of useful advice in this thread!! :)

Headwork, 256s, BMC, full system (with cat, car lost power without it) and remap I've known of 150BHHP.

Infact, with an enlarged throttle body, one old member got close to 160BHP.

Thats amazing! Would have to be a gradual process, cant afford it all upfront!

Surely would be looking at about 7 seconds to sixty with 150bhp or is that too optamistic, 'cause 7's my goal!!..

Edited by electricpanda

The price of the cams are quite cheap, but apparently they are pretty tricky to fit.

The guy with 150bhp fitted them himself and because there is no markings he found it complicated to get the timing right.

Another member had some fitted by a tuning company who apparently was pretty good. But they made a hash out of it.

If your going to do it, make sure you find a company who have done it before to a Polo or Lupo GTI before.

I agree with the above, a BMC nice exhaust and remap would be a good move on a budget.

I feel that the GTI engine has been deliberatly pulled down around Emissions testing revs to make sure it got a good figure when the car was in production.

The emissions on your MOT don't have to be as they left the factory.

I agree with the above, a BMC nice exhaust and remap would be a good move on a budget.

I feel that the GTI engine has been deliberatly pulled down around Emissions testing revs to make sure it got a good figure when the car was in production.

The emissions on your MOT don't have to be as they left the factory.

Yea, I'd probably be able to get that done pretty much straight away..

The think is, sites seem to over claim power gains for exhausts re-maps etc

Some clain 11bhp and 12ft pound torque from a gti engine as not maximum so a smooth remap..

..you reckon thats over exaggerated?!

Sorry for all questions but its great to know and get my knowlege up before i actually do it :)

Yea, I'd probably be able to get that done pretty much straight away..

The think is, sites seem to over claim power gains for exhausts re-maps etc

Some clain 11bhp and 12ft pound torque from a gti engine as not maximum so a smooth remap..

..you reckon thats over exaggerated?!

Sorry for all questions but its great to know and get my knowlege up before i actually do it :)

Don't worry about power figures.

Go with a remap for your car, not an off the shelf one and its not the increase in top end power you'll be impressed with, it'll be the way it drives and revs that'll impress you the most.

More grunt in the right places.

Don't worry about power figures.

Go with a remap for your car, not an off the shelf one and its not the increase in top end power you'll be impressed with, it'll be the way it drives and revs that'll impress you the most.

More grunt in the right places.

Cheers mate, any local company recommendations seen as your a northerner too? B)

Just to re visit the Cams convo, i just dug out a bit of paper where i wrote a load of notes regarding the 4 sets of cams available.

I spoke to QEP, who supply catcams and the gave me the following info.

They said that the 7606701: INT 254°/254° EXT and the 7606702: INT 245°/254° EXT can be run on standard OEM followers retainers and springs.

The 7606703: 295°/295° and the 7606704: 302°/302° need a modified or different set of retainers and springs.

The difference between the 245° and the 254° is that the 245° has 0.2mm higher valve lift, a 0.15mm higher cam lift and a 2° longer duration, a 1° difference in peak angle and a 0.1mm higher lift at TDC.

Now my notes get a little messy... i think it says that the 701 and 702 cam retard the original timing by 8° and 7° respectivly. (brings power lover down the rev range)

On the other hand the 703 advances by 14° and the 704 by 17°. (higher peak power/rpm)

The valve lift and duration on the 703 is 11.55mm and 243° and the 704 is 12.15mm and 250° hence the need for different retainers and springs.

Id say that the 703 and 704 are not suitable for the road. definatly a feirce track cam.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

The timing of opening of the inlet is retarded on the 7606701 and 7606702s by 8° and 7° respectively but the timing on the inlet closing is enhaced by 26° and 27°as you can see in the full spec below..

* Inlet duration [0.1mm+cl]: 254° deg, Exhaust duration : 254° deg

* Inlet duration [1.0mm+cl]: 198° deg, Exhaust duration : 198° deg

* Inlet valve lift [cl=0]: 9.10mm, Exhaust valve lift : 9.10mm

* cam lift: Inlet: 4.75mm, Exhaust: 4.75mm

* Peak Angle: Inlet 107 deg, Exhaust 108° deg

* Timing [1.0mm+cl](Inlet open / close) : (Exhaust open / close) : -8°/26°: 27°/-9°

* Lift at TDC [cl=0]: 0.50mm ; Exhaust lift (TDC) : 0.45

* Inlet duration [0.1mm+cl]: 245° deg, Exhaust duration : 254° deg

* Inlet duration [1.0mm+cl]: 200° deg, Exhaust duration : 198° deg

* Inlet valve lift [cl=0]: 9.30mm, Exhaust valve lift : 9.10mm

* cam lift: Inlet: 4.90mm, Exhaust: 4.75mm

* Peak Angle: Inlet 107 deg, Exhaust 108° deg

* Timing [1.0mm+cl](Inlet open / close) : (Exhaust open / close) : -7°/27°: 27°/-9°

* Lift at TDC [cl=0]: 0.60mm ; Exhaust lift (TDC) : 0.45

the worlds your oyster with power.....except for one small snag.....ur bank balance. On a lot of engines its possible to nearly double its power output but you'd have to spend an absoloute fortune on it and it would require essential track day use as the car is now too fast for the road. ;) like someone said on here apparently a gti has seen over 200bhp.