India

Tigz™

Anyone ever worked there?

Been offered an opportunity to go out to assist in the start up of a new warehouse/transport business within our company.

The job I've been offered is that of transport manager, which I could do standing on my head in the UK.

The area where I would be located is Delhi, I could either take an apartment in Delhi, or a farm house (with swimming pool lol) an hours drive away.

Lots of perks, a good salary.

Can either go for a 6 month short term contract, or go for a three year fixed time.

Been to India about 6 times as my family are from there.

Good place. Delhi is not that great. Lightyears behind Mumbai (Bombay) in terms of economical growth.

People are good but generally are lazy. Food is great but you have to make sure you everything is boiling hot, otherwise you will have an upset stomach/vomiting. Once you are used to this you should be fine.

If I were you, I would take a short holiday there to experience it before you come to a decision.

Also, recently the Delhi weather has been crap.

I was there in December and it was meant to be hot. However it was freezing and my relatives told me to bring my wintercoat!

been offered a few things out there but most have the nearest compound you woudl want to live in an hours drive from where you might have to work and then you could have another hours drive to the nearest decent private school if you have kids with you. Get all the details first as the wages could be great but they struggle to find people willing to give up the lifestyle over here.

Part of the package.

In addition to ‘home based’ terms and conditions (your normal salary, bonus arrangements if applicable etc), the following additional benefits would normally make up the assignment package:

Cost of Living: the cost of living is significantly less in India, therefore a cost of living allowance is not payable. However, it should be noted that your normal salary will go significantly further.

Pioneer Incentive: 10% of salary, subject to minimum and maximum

Hardship Allowance: c.20% of basic salary

Relocation Allowance on departure

Repatriation Allowance on return

International Medical Insurance

Car and Driver

Cultural and/or Language Training as appropriate

Tax and Social Security advice and support

Travel/Home Visit allowance

(equivalent to 6 return flights)

Allowance towards satellite Television where home country language channels not available

Utilities paid

Relocation/shipping/transport allowance

‘Destination Services’ relocation support services

Spousal Allowance

(to aid with settling into new country)

Private schooling at local International School for dependant children

pretty much the standard package, find out how long it takes to get to the school, how long it woudl take to get to your work from the school if you wanted to drop yoru kids off, how long the journey to work takes (might be 30 miles but could take 2 hrs), what get out clauses do you get if your family don't enjoy it and you want to return home. Check if your wife would be happy there, not much shopping and maids to do housework so what would she do with no friends to start with? If you can put up with the change it could definitly be worth it and good for your CV to have international experience.

That sounds amazing, exactly the kind of thing i am looking to do when i have finished my degree.

Who do you work for if you dot mind me asking?

I have decided that i will be moving abroad the year after i have finished at university, so i have been looking at joining a company that does a two year placement and then offers expatriation abroad, hopefully to china.

I say do it - international schools are great for kids etc.

kinda i'm vehicle control (something begining with s that i've never figured out) at parcelforce's central hub my manager does damn all my mate fills in for him when he not there he does one report at end of day and the managers incharge of the drivers just juggle drivers with duties and have to know the uk tacho laws which i don't think they have driving laws in india do they lol

My friend now lives in India, after falling in love with the place. She married a man from there and they live happily in the mountains.

She said the Cities are really hectic and heavily polluted, a stark contrast to where she lives now.

n586398751_546915_91.jpg

Im sure she misses England really :rolleyes:

Will they make a special big mac without most of the filling, just the way you like it?!

I don't think I have seen a beef burger there at all. Chicken is the most common there and is consumed the most, then lamb etc. (non-veg wise).

Otherwise the rest of the people are vegetarians.

cows considered holy there. if you went you would have to do without driving - roads and drivers are terrible and you'd be assigned a driver and car to ferry you around.

Guest Lauryn

My cousin has been to India twice - once for 2 weeks and one for 6 weeks, and really loved it, but I think it would be my worst nightmare. I looked at Thailand as being a lovely country I would enjoy being in but when I arrived here last week I was so shocked with the vast differences in culture, been here for a week now and I'm still really struggling to adapt, I miss all my home comforts. I would definately recommend going to India for a holiday first before you begin to decide - as I said I got a huge shock when I came out here and just couldnt stay any longer if you paid me, its really not my thing at all, but my cousin I'm with loves it, so each to their own!