Gti not starting?

Well came to start my 03 reg Gti (48k on the clock) yesterday and it started and then just cut out straight away, then a few times it didnt even spark. Eventually it did start after leaving it a bit but just before it was about to cut out i gave it some juice and it was ok.

This lead me to think that it may be an immobilizer issue but then why would it be ok when started up etc?

I had no more trouble yesterday and it started ok this morning but about 3miles down the road at asda i did my tyre pressures and then it didnt start, did the same as yesterday, it starts eventually but i have to give it gas when it does go so it doesent cut out.

Came out of asda after a bit of shopping and it did the same again, thats 3 times but i got home and stopped it and started it and it was fine?!

Could it be my throttle body that neads cleaning? just a spray with carb cleaner?

i have no ideling issues

Doesn't sound like the immobiliser to me,

Filled up with fuel prior to this happening?

Might be worth cleaning the throttle body, it only takes 10 mins to do anyway, whilst the engine cover is off check the plug leads are all o.k.

They are prone to corrosion at the coil pack connectors.

well i disconnected the ht leads not at the spark plug end because i couldnt get them off but did do at the other end, and i sprayed the connections with wd40.

been and got some carb cleaner and taken my bmc elbow off and sprayed the butterfly valve until clean.

is this all i can do? anywhere else to spray the carb cleaner?

on the fuel side of things, i normally fill up with v power at shell scunthorpe but the last petrol i got was vpower at shell in lincoln so this shouldnt be any different.

batterys fine, will turn over all day.

yer think the fuel is priming, will go check now tho.

When i did my throttle body i turned the ignition on and wedged the throttle down, this holds it open but it will

twitch and shut occasionally. Then sprayed the carb cleaner in and used some cotton buds to clean the cack out.

yer i will clean it again next week on my days off, just gave it a quick going over.

Does the fuel pump not prime when the ignition is switched the 2nd click?

Thats something else I think, it should do it when you open the door

hmm, what would cause it not to do this?

I would presume a faulty fuel pump? Im no expert though so dont take my word for it. Although if it was faulty you would expect the car to have running problems?

yup the door switch is fine guys and the car appeared to be better but then it went and did it to me again. The only thing i can think is that i may have some "dirty petrol" or in need of a fuel filter change

When you say " it didn't spark" does that mean you took a plug lead off and tested it, or just that you think it's not firing in the cyclinder.

If you have no spark it could be a bad connection at the LT Leads/coilpack etc. or a failng coilpack.

I had a cracked LT lead once which only showed itself in certain situations. Was a pain to diagnose.

Ray

Edited by Silver!

nah didnt take it off and test it, just doesnt sound like its firing in the cylinder.

Think it may have to go to vw and see what they think. Hope its not expensive!

anyone got vag com in the lincolnshire area that wants to do me a favour? :D

Might be worth whipping the plugs out and checking each one sparks cleanly.

I'm also sure that someone on here has had greif with the fuel filter on a GTi before.

• 3 weeks later...

nope, its been to vw twice now and there was no faults, typical!

had it back a week with no problems at all

then friday it started playing up so its getting towed in to vw again tomorrow and hopefully there will be a fult there which will then let me know whats wrong.

nothing showed up on the 1st diagnostics, i personally think its something to do with the immoibilizer

what immobiliser have you got fitted?

I believe i have a scorpion... It also has like a 3 pin key for the immobiliser which is seperate from the alarm.

I noticed it was worse when it was raining yesterday.