vr6 carriers for 280mm conversion

matt~black

i've done a search already and can't seem to find the answer to my question, so here's the story i've had some issues with brake fade on the loop since i've had it but i've just put up with it i did a trackday at anglsey on friday and in preperation had my brake fluid changed but i soon found that after 5 laps or so the brakes still fade (i also found that once the front tyres have heated up more than the back it gets really oversteery round some of the downhill corners anyone else found this???) so anyway my question i want to do the 280mm conversion i understand i need g60 carriers callipers discs and pads is it possible to use vr6 carriers and callipers then g60 discs and pads as the g60's aren't exactly common and also when i've taken off my front discs and carries etc will they go on the back or am i just being silly?

thanks in advance ... matt

Mk2 Ibiza Cupra

Early Golf 3 VR6

Corrado VR6

B5 Passat G60

Quite a few cars used these carriers.

If you want some brand new ones, Mike at VW Speed is doing them ridiculously cheep! I paid £170 (ish) for mine back in the day! (last year)

Cheepest place I've found

Mk2 Ibiza Cupra

Early Golf 3 VR6

Corrado VR6

B5 Passat G60

Quite a few cars used these carriers.

If you want some brand new ones, Mike at VW Speed is doing them ridiculously cheep! I paid £170 (ish) for mine back in the day! (last year)

Cheepest place I've found

For carriers :blink:

I paid £20 for mine, get yourself down to the local scrappy. Loads of donor dubs with 280mm brakes.

Yeah but for brand spaning new ones its a decent price.

But yeah, a salvage yard should be able to get a set cheap cheap cheap.

Has anyone got the part number for the G60 carriers you need or are they all the same? I picked up a set cheap and didn't know if they were the right or wrong ones, but for the price thought I could buy now ask Q's later.

Just wondering if I have the right bits of if I should shift them on to someone else!

nice one cheers guys how about the front carriers + discs etc from the front of the gti going on the back would that work?

Nope. The rear brake assembly is totally different to the front...

However, I was wondering the other day if the carriers and calipers from the rear of an octavia vrs / bora 4motion/golf4 anniversary would fit which would allow for a 256mm vented rear disc, however your only problem there would be getting hold of rear discs to fit it. You would need to get the rear discs from one of said vehicles and have the wheel-bolt holes re-drilled.

could you not use octavia etc rear brake setup and then use loop gti front discs as they're 256mm and 4 stud

Depends if the hub height on the disc is the same or not... Best way is to buy some cheepo ones from a motor factors and weigh em both up.

You could put the front ones on the back technically speaking, but you would need to do a hell of a lot of work. The big issue is the handbrake. It would need to be converted to a hydraulic handbrake and piped in to the brake line some how to only effect the rear brakes. and i dont have a clue about the dimension issues.

Probably with some type of sequence valve, which as the handbrake leaver is pulled it isolates the fluid supply to the rear brakes from the front and then a seperate resovior and piston supplies pressure to the rears, creating your handbrake.

Isnt there someone on here that modified the rear brakes? Im sure ive seen it somewhere. Have a search.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

You could put the front ones on the back technically speaking, but you would need to do a hell of a lot of work. The big issue is the handbrake. It would need to be converted to a hydraulic handbrake and piped in to the brake line some how to only effect the rear brakes. and i dont have a clue about the dimension issues.

Probably with some type of sequence valve, which as the handbrake leaver is pulled it isolates the fluid supply to the rear brakes from the front and then a seperate resovior and piston supplies pressure to the rears, creating your handbrake.

Isnt there someone on here that modified the rear brakes? Im sure ive seen it somewhere. Have a search.

John

He's not on about using rear calipers on the front, He's on about using rear calipers / carriers from an oct VRS and discs from the front of a lupo sport etc.

<br />He's not on about using rear calipers on the front, He's on about using rear calipers / carriers from an oct VRS and discs from the front of a lupo sport etc.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

You mean front brakes on the back? thats what i was on about.

John

<br /><br /><br />

You mean front brakes on the back? thats what i was on about.

John

no no no right the plan the only thing that will be from the front is the discs the rear carriers and callipers will be taken from an octavia vrs etc etc also am i right in saying all i need for the front is the carriers from vr6/g60 which are currently in the post and then g60 discs and pads which will be ordered on payday also i've seen these really mint looking discs on the net that have a jaged edge do these offer any improvement over the conventional round type or is it just a gimmick

also i've seen these really mint looking discs on the net that have a jaged edge do these offer any improvement over the conventional round type or is it just a gimmick

Are they those rota disc's?? They've been about for ages but never really caught on though, so i guess it's abit of a gimmick.