Correct way of washing a car??

What is the best way to wash your car?

1.rinse

2.wash

then do you do that again then polish? or wax?

just wondering the best way. there is so many different products and makes. whats the best

thought you guys would no

thanks

I don't think anyone will be able to agree on an exact method for every car - depends on your paint condition and stuff :)

But to start with, a rinse, then washing with a mitt and two bucket method, dry with a towel and then start on the claying, polishing, waxing etc is a good way to work

rinse car first then use 2 bucket method.. also no sponges as these scratch the paint and also cause swirling on the paint. Then if you have one after the first wash(cars still wet) use a clay bar on it to get rid of all the crap that a normal wash wont get off, then wash again, follow this up with obv drying car, polish or poss a cleaner then wax, seal or seal, wax...cant remember which way that bit goes!! lol

But to start with, a rinse, then washing with a mitt and two bucket method, dry with a towel and then start on the claying, polishing, waxing etc is a good way to work

Surely this is only for a 'good' wash and not an every week thing?

Its an every 6monthly thing for me :lol:

Cheers for the link, Mouse GTI. I always have problems with bits of tar spattered on the sides of my doors. Never been sure how to remove them.

Mudflaps help with stopping the tar from getting to the doors i find. Although autoglym bug and tar remover is excellect.

I did our stilo today, loads and loads of tar on that, took me ages to get it off but bug and tar remover is the best stuff. Mudflaps ordered for tomorrow so hopefully it wont need doing again :lol:

Hello again, cardaft.

Part of the deal with my Fox is a free Autoglym Lifeshine treatment (ie Exterior, Upholstery, and Glass), plus a Lifeshine Care Kit. It's supposed to last for ten years, but there's no Bug and Tar Remover listed in the kit, unfortunately. Do you think use of that would damage the Lifeshine treatment? I'll probably end up phoning them for advice, lol. Gonna make a real effort to keep this car in good condition, winter weather be damned!

have a look on www.elitecarcare.co.uk mate, pm them on there and ask them if they could advise you in what stuff to get..

I get my stuff off there, really helpful and its quick delivery as well.

Edited by andyp

2 bucket method! That was one of the best advice i've ever picked up a few years ago, and never looked back.

Also a good wash mitt is far better than any sponge i've used.

When giving my car the tender love and care I use a fairly basic but effective method that isn't OTT.

1) Rinse the car with the garden hose to gently lift dirt off (not jet wash it incase the dirt/grit scratches)

2) Using the pressure washer feature and soap mixer, put diluted car wash fluid in the soap tank and cover the car with soap suds.

3) After a few mins soak, pressure was the dirty soap suds off

4) Using the two bucket method wash the car, ensuring the mitt gets dipped in the plain water bucket regulary.

5) Use the pressure washer to rinse dirty suds off

6) Shammy the car to a dry and clean state.

After that its upto you for the tyre dressing and wax.

Still need to clay a car sometime, as i know the difference is amazing!

Edited by g-man85

Try and avoid chamois as if dirt lands on the surface of the car and you wipe over it, it traps it and drags it along the surface. Try and get yourself a microfibre drying towel, Sonus Der Wonder are great as are the Aqua Touch ones.

After that its upto you for the tyre dressing and wax.

Tyre dressing maks a huge difference, although it always makes the wheels a magnet for brake dust and they are black within days, even if i wash off the dressing from the wheel itself it still attracts the dirt.

Tyre dressing maks a huge difference, although it always makes the wheels a magnet for brake dust and they are black within days, even if i wash off the dressing from the wheel itself it still attracts the dirt.

If you use something like Megs Endurance then you shouldn't have a problem with it attracting brake dust, i used a cheap halfords one when i first got my lupo and it did exactly as you said, but i have no probs with the Megs stuff.

megs stuff is fine, putting protection on the wheels as well helps as well when next come to wash etc. all the crap comes off easier, you may need a toothbrush for the small bits that you cant get to as well.

Also claying a car after you have washed it (car still wet) gets rid of all the tree sap etc that doesnt come off with a wash. never try and clay if car is dry as it will mark the paint.., you can use the bar on windows and getting rid of stuff on your wheels as well.

Agree with Andy, if you've got a decent wheel sealant and you've put a couple of coats on it'll repel brake dust and things a lot better, it'll also help prevent pitting. It's also worth mentioning that you can clay wheels as well, but always use a separate piece of clay to do paintwork/glass

Edited by db