Wheels Police Help.....ideas? Update with what the police said on pg3

melonman

Got my car back today, steffans fitted (14" 9 at the rear and 8 at the front) and within 2 hours I was pulled by the police. They stated that my car was illegal due to the wheels, they said that the front ones were just ok it was the rears that were the problem. I was lead to believe that wheels were illegal if tread was showing on the tyres but seeing as ive got a fairly healthy stretch and had my arches pulled around an inch this would be ok. But they said it wasnt.....

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0989.jpg

Ive spoken to The Phirm and PVW and both have said the same, they thought it was only illegal if the tread was showing.

Anybody have any idea what is illegal and what isnt, also what can I do about the police?

Thanks

Matt

Edited by melonman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSCF0991.jpg

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would say I can see tread out of your arches in that phot.

Maybe a straight on rear shot of the wheel arch/wheel would show it better.

Ray

Edited by Silver!

ring up your local mot place and see what tehy say but when i asked mine it was any tread looking down.. would need a over shot to say if it is ok or not.

The rule is put in place to protect pedestrians, so they don't get caught on the wheel if they brush past a moving car, so it's not just the tyre but the overall wheel that needs to be protected by an arch. So on that basis, if you can rub against the side of your car and hit the wheel, it's out too far. And judging by those photos, I think the Police may be right here.

Time for some extended arches... ;)

Edited by RobM

Police just put my car under probation and said I had to change the wheels by the end of 2day or my car would get taken away. Was by two blokes in an undercover volvo (tank)....the one tht got out an spoke to me was alright 1st thing he said was 'when we saw you sittin at the traffic lights looked at the wheels and thought f*ck me'

dunno weather extended arches would look crap though?? what else can i do coz not changin wheels lol

cheers

matt

Edited by melonman

Thats crap, traffic police would stop you but how many uninsured drivers are there on the roads driving cars wich arnt in a road worth state!

Theres the option of having your arches pulled then the back bumper extended out to match

The rear arches have been pulled as much as possible, spoke 2 the guy that has done all my body work and said the next option is to make some widened arches an smooth them on etc so it fits to the car......?

who knows?

only bloody had the car back from the body shop 2hrs then got pulled!!!!

I've read that the wheels aren't allowed to stick out past the widest point of the car, which would usually be the wing mirrors.

Not sure how true that is though.

Pulled arches or bigger stretch I reckon.

I've read that the wheels aren't allowed to stick out past the widest point of the car, which would usually be the wing mirrors.

Not sure how true that is though.

Pulled arches or bigger stretch I reckon.

cant pull the arches any more mate lol

Did they issue you a ticket to say your car's on Probation?

R

nah just radioed it through while i was standing there, they initially werent gonna let me drive it an stick it on the back of a lorry, but coz i was 'polite etc' they let me drive it home

nah just radioed it through while i was standing there, they initially werent gonna let me drive it an stick it on the back of a lorry, but coz i was 'polite etc' they let me drive it home

I'd check at your local station. They sure should have issued you with something to advise you of their shoulder no's and action to be taken.

Did they ask to see your licence and MOT etc?

If not are you sure they were bobbies?

i thought it was the tread aswell hence why people stratch the tyres so they can have wider wheels without the tread protruding but if u havent been given any paperwork how can they prove ur cars on probation?

I'd check at your local station. They sure should have issued you with something to advise you of their shoulder no's and action to be taken.

Did they ask to see your licence and MOT etc?

If not are you sure they were bobbies?

nah didnt ask to see liscence or MOT, i would stick the wheels straight back on but dont wanna run the risk of my car getting towed away and given to some inbred person to drive into an inpound. what u mean am I sure they were police?

cheers

matt

Run it for a week on standards incase they see you then wack them back on, ive got the same problem as im running 8's all round and my tyres arent as stretched as yours.

Looks legal to me, they obv arent up to date on things, ive seen much worse!

what u mean am I sure they were police?

cheers

matt

Many years ago in a land far far away, I was with a coulpe of friends walking into town.

Spotted some under agers with a couple of bottles (just opened). My friend walks up and flashes his MOD ID card quickly and advises them we are CID and they are underage.

He confiscated their bottles and sent them on their way. We then necked the beers on our wat to get cash.

I'm innocent it was my friend who was imitating...

Did you get the reg of the car? If you did check with your local Police Office to see if it's legit. I would anyhow as it seems pretty suspicious if they never gave a young lad a producer.

If I see my friend who's a Policeman I'll ask his opinion.

Ray