Internet Service Providings...

Lukus 9N

I use Be.

I downloaded Lost from a torrent last week, it came down at 1.4MB / Sec (i.e. 11.2Mb/s). I've had a speed test at 19.2Mb/s, and speed usually depends on what's happening on the other end for me.

Latency has been a bit fishy lately though - I hope that changes.

Optical can easily carry 100GB/S with the right equipment its the distances that's the problem when the fibre can only carry that for 0.5km. That's using a multiplexed signal of course.

Until there is an optical signal or wireless running the full course of point you wish to connect with the speeds are going to be poor/ intermittent.

BT Business have given me a line, I'm classed as a business user because the phone line is registered as a business (Parents own company ftw.).

8meg/sec. Unlimited 24/7. Business information, higher priority trafficing. :) Glad I didn't switch to a residential.

Sorted.

Nicola, download OpenOffice via P2P, if that maxes out your connection you're alright, if not it might be your ISP throttling you.

Slightly off topic - but I just forwarded my first port on our router! And now my torrents are going much better, I have remote connections as well as local! This is the first time I've managed to do it so I am feeling very proud :D

For now Virgin are in my good books again.

Edited by lunalupi

He's on Virgin, which is cable, so there is no phoneline.

Virgin's 20mb runs nigh on 20mb depending on contention - I get around 18.8 - 19mb/sec from speedtest.net at home.

thats brilliant, i dont no alot about cable.

He's on Virgin, which is cable, so there is no phoneline.

Virgin's 20mb runs nigh on 20mb depending on contention - I get around 18.8 - 19mb/sec from speedtest.net at home.

Correct. Firbe optic! Pretty fast most of the time :D (At night when downloading ;) )

... technically it's only fibre to the box in your street, then it's RG6 coax to your modem.

[/Pedant]

:huh:

:lol:

In terms of downtime they are great. Ive not been off for more then a few hours once or twice and thats mostly from about 11pm onwards.

It was due to them updating everyones moden at the same time but they ALL failed. Its like everyone turning there modem on at the same time and trying to get an IP address from them. Servers went into meltdown! :lol: