Arosa16vology's Euro Project (08.04.08)

Arosa16vology

Right peeps i know this has been done by many and many Arosa/Lupo owners.

But i really wanna go Euro on my Arosa to as i can do all the paint and filler work myself as i'm a body repairer. Good thing it's only gonna cost me for the paint.

Can someone gather up some ideas/pictures for me?

What i have in mind is lower on coilovers, euro wheels and a nice exhaust. Smooth off all the existing bodywork and remove all the current knocks and scratches out of the car.

James

Edited by Arosa16vology

Right peeps i know this has been done by many and many Arosa/Lupo owners.

But i really wanna go Euro on my Arosa to as i can do all the paint and filler work myself as i'm a body repairer. Good thing it's only gonna cost me for the paint.

Can someone gather up some ideas/pictures for me?

What i have in mind is lower on coilovers, euro wheels and a nice exhaust. Smooth off all the existing bodywork and remove all the current knocks and scratches out of the car.

James

hi james , just promise me 1 thing , PLEASE keep the body work filler to a minimum , its either going to sink or crack , if you can , plastic weld a plate in or actually weld a plate in and then just skim it with filler

Yeah i'm not a big fan of using lots of filler. I'm a panel beater and i never really use much filler on normal panels.

Have you got pics of how to cut out the bump strip on the actual bumper?

i just set about it with a rather large saw :lol: no joke , and then for the corners and the bends i used a realy small drill bit and drilled LOT of little holes side by side . then plastic welded them back in but slightly rescessed which takes alot of time

right i'm looking to get some Ronal Turbo wheels and coilover + the debadge grille. Going to leave the rear S Badge on the car and maybe the 16v badge.

have already removed the strips down both side of the car, with a heat gun.

i just set about it with a rather large saw :lol: no joke , and then for the corners and the bends i used a realy small drill bit and drilled LOT of little holes side by side . then plastic welded them back in but slightly rescessed which takes alot of time

I kind of know what you mean so bascially cut the bump strip out of the bumper. Then plastic weld it back futher then filler over the gap and make it smooth.

what sort of plastic weld did you use?

Right spent about 4hours or so in the workshop making a start on my front bumper.

Took me like 20/25 mins to work out where the screws was to remove the front bumper in the end i got there so wasn't too bad. Making sure i kept all the screws and bits in a mixing cup. (kept kicking it over lol)

Then got a air saw/blade cutter out and cut the section that needed to be out and welded back.

Once i got the sections out i got some 80grit sandpaper and remove the paint off the bit i'm gonna plastic weld to. The sections that i cut out i also grinded slight smaller.

Now i had to check on the back of the bumper to see what plastic rods i needed for this sort of plastic which was PP. Some plastic bumpers are made out of ABS plastic.

This bit took me ages needed 2 people to help me hold the piece in place whiles i tack it in place. One it's tacked i stared to plastic weld it all the way round making sure it was strong enough.

Whiles i was welding it i welded the two sections of the bumper together.

Below is some pictures of my bumper so far.

P130208_1557.jpg

P130208_155701.jpg

Whiles i was doing that got someone to remove my side bump strips with a hot air gun.

P130208_155702.jpg

Next step is to fibreglass filler the section over then a fine layer of bodyfiller to smooth it off.

more updates coming soon.

James

i used the uber poverty spec plastic welding that is also extremely strong and just used a soldering iron with a very wide tip , does the job brilliantly as its hot enough to melt the plastics together but not hot enough to burn the plastic :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some more up to date pic of the bumper back on the car.

P200308_1040.jpg

P200308_103901.jpg

P200308_1039.jpg

Yet to repaint the bottom grille black.

Not sure to weather to have the fog lamps put back in all get some new grill covers without the fog holes.

All i could tint the fog lamps black so it blend in with the bottom grill.

Debadge grill and new look euro stars plate coming on it.

more updates.

August 2007

06082007903-1.jpg

March 2008

Image004.jpg

Image003.jpg

finished off painting the lower grille today and put a new euro star plate on.

Just got fog lights to go back in as i'm waiting for some replacements.

starting on rear bumper this week so more smoothing coming along.

James

Should i remove the 16v sign at the front?

Oh yeah quick question i'm working on the rear bumper next week. Was wondering about the rear bumper reflectors. would i need them for MOT? or is their build in ones in the rear clusters?

Not sure about the badge, id probably take it off, amke it more simple.

I think you might need the rear reflectors, since they lights dont have any in them.

unfortunately they dont have them in.. youi could either have stick on ones for MOT time, or get lupo lights :P

Looking good fella!Just realised where your from.Im in Eastbourne too.I drive a black lupo.Hopefully see you on the road!Do you have a workshop in Eastbourne as looking to smother my front and rear bumpers too.Hope its going well.