Help me choose some Coilovers?

SC02 FFF

Heres whats available for the loop.

Europerformance

Have a look throgh and see whats within your price range.

With coilovers, the price states the quality or what you get with them.

If you just want a low car on non adjustable coilovers (only height), id go for the K&W variant 1's - £620

yh mate thats wht i was looking at but i was a bit thrown off when it said, for the (6X) ?? hmmm

thank you for your reply

Oh also the Back Spring is not a coilover is it not? Looks rather big? :S

No the rear is a sperate spring and damper on that kit, Like i said, pay a bit more money and get better components, what you pay for is what you get. The H&R kit is also good. but finding a good full coilover kit for under 600 quid could be a bit hard, but easy if you want to loose a bit of quality.

6X - is the Lupo and covers 1.0L, 1.4 and 1.4 16V and the 1.7 SDI. And variants of that....

6E - Is the GTi, The 3L, The 1.2 SDI, the 1.4 FSI

6N - Is the polo, not the lupo

If you want to check what your car is, go to your chassis number. and the 7th and 8th number and letter will show you what it is. EG mine goes xxx ZZZ 6EY... and so on.

thanks for replies very helpful!

I want a solid ride so i can slam loads .

Slam your sump in to the floor you mean? and Slam your driveshafts in to the subframe?

With the V1's your get that nice solid ride for sure, if you can save up a bit more.... then get the V2's. Thats what ive got.... althought not fitted them yet so cant comment.

Slam your sump in to the floor you mean? and Slam your driveshafts in to the subframe?

With the V1's your get that nice solid ride for sure, if you can save up a bit more.... then get the V2's. Thats what ive got.... althought not fitted them yet so cant comment.

Are the rear dampers stainless on the V2's?

What would be the point in that ? and the answer is no.

V2's are proper pointless for a road car, even if you do track days. V1's are plenty good enough for a Lupo.

You sure? I assumed they were

Each to there own...

Edited by Casper1496

You sure? I assumed they were

Each to there own...

Stainless is just to stop the threads corroding together, so you can still adjust your coilies after salty roads and little maintainance.

The rear shocks dont need to be stainless, they are powdercoated. the adjusters are hard anodized aluminium.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the rear dampers stainless on the V2's?
What would be the point in that ? and the answer is no.

V2's are proper pointless for a road car, even if you do track days. V1's are plenty good enough for a Lupo.

I stood corrected, but then have found out i was infact right... yes the dampers on the V2's are stainless steel. There not powder coated whatsoever, Cheap written all over it.

This is a pic of the V1's:

kwv1s.jpg

There stainless steel for more than stopping the threads corroding. If they wanted to stop the threads corroding, they wouldnt use an alloy adjuster nut. Dissimilar materials + water = Electrolite = Corrosion!

V2 Quality includes:

# Strut housings in inox-line stainless steel technology

# Anodized aluminum spring collars and add-on pieces

# High-quality, high-tensile racing springs

# Special ventilation and sealing system

# High-quality damping components

# Hardened, chromium-plated piston rods

# Special guide and sealing systems

# Pistons with V-shaped Teflon seals – optimal sealing with minimal friction – temperature-resistant, durable damping technology

V1s have stainless struts aswell matey ;)

The rear strut doesnt have a thread on it. The thread is on the separate spring seat, and that part is anodized aluminium.

The only difference between 1 & 2 is that 2 has damping adjustments

Edited by Joe

I stood corrected, but then have found out i was infact right... yes the dampers on the V2's are stainless steel. There not powder coated whatsoever, Cheap written all over it.

The rear struts are powdercoated on v2's (just like V1's). Oh, and they are not made of stainless steel, they are coated with a stainless finish.

A stainless finish? as in there plated? lol... ritey ho then, whatever you say like.

All i know is it says the V2's are made form stainless, and they look like it too. wherever you go and ask, they will all say the outer casings are made from stainless steel.

Why im actually having an arguement about weather there stainless steel or not i dont actually know. But its fun lol

End of.

LOL you make me laugh, you dont even own any, and all youve heard is hearsay.

I can assure you that the strut housings are coated, they call it stainless steel technology. The piston rods themselves are stainless steel i think but not the housings.

Although apparently it is a coating superior to all others.

Go ahead, buy some V2's and find out for yourself. Youll probably wish you just bought V1's when you dont know what the hell to do with the damping adjustment, It will NOT benefit you for road use, and will have an adverse effect unless you get a racing technician to set them up for you every time the weather changes LOL.

V1's are set up sweet as they are, the inhouse technicians at KW know exactly what they are doing.

Edited by L119 UPO

I've got weiteks, which are a kw sister company so the dampeners are very similar, there spot on hard but not bone breaking ect.

IMO id have fixed dampening every time, its less to go wrong and the setup is always good. I've also heard that adjustable dampening coilovers are more prone to breaking when running a car silly low.

And to end the argument, your not going to find many coilovers that out perform KW in corrosion tests so why quibble :coffee:

you dont even own any, and all youve heard is hearsay.

Really?

Last time i checked my bank balance id think quite the opposite.

Cars being repired as we speak, oh and having the V2's fitted too.

The struts are SS, and the pistons are cromium plated HTS i think.

As for getting them set up? what a load of crap. you have them set for general road use much like the setting on the V1's. Then for track use (which is why i have V2's) you have your adjustment.

worth the extra £200 IMO.

John

Have a good look at the front strut housings, youll see they are coated. Have a look at the welds around the mounting brackets, if you know anything about welding youll see that the housings are coated (because there are no scorch marks around the welds)

Good luck finding coilovers made of stainless steel, for a start they'd be too heavy, secondly they would be much more expensive.

Well you know best LOL

Edited by L119 UPO

Did in insult your intelegence? lol.... I'm sorry i forgot who im dealing with here.

Ha so amusing how upset people get about something they know little or nothing about, and make it look like they know more then they do eh? :D:P;)

Wouldnt expect any more from someone who sits behind a desk..... or works in a bank. hehehe

Edited by Casper1496