Help me choose some Coilovers?

SC02 FFF

Did in insult your intelegence? lol.... I'm sorry i forgot who im dealing with here.

Ha so amusing how upset people get about something they know little or nothing about, and make it look like they know more then they do eh? :D:P;)

Wouldnt expect any more from someone who sits behind a desk..... or works in a bank. hehehe

Not upset at all, just wont suffer fools :coffee:

Gobsh!te :lol:

guys i didnt want any sh*t in this. thank you for your replies though big help! :)

ill go for the Varient 1's i think, comon guys, dont argue

Sorry Scoff, but i wont be treated like an idiot by this moron. I was trying to help out and contribute :rolleyes:

A stainless finish? as in there plated? lol... ritey ho then, whatever you say like.

All i know is it says the V2's are made form stainless, and they look like it too. wherever you go and ask, they will all say the outer casings are made from stainless steel.

Why im actually having an arguement about weather there stainless steel or not i dont actually know. But its fun lol

End of.

Casper, i wish you the best of luck :)

Edited by L119 UPO

OOO handbags....... Best of luck? dont talk Sh*te thats a gobshite statement all together... and i dont know what its meant to mean?

Have you seen that old advert that used to be on tv i think it was a fosters one where these two blokes go oooooooooooooooooooooo in that high pitch voice and hold there invisible handbags up tight

Well if i could find it on youtube... it would definalty suit the occasion. lol

Im actually laughing at this guy.... ever so funny getting worked up over all of this, then sitting on the defensive...

How senior are we talking here?

Ok dont know why im doing this but ive got a point to prove anyhow!

For the record, KW use Inox technology SS gas struts. Hence inox-line SS Technology. Amaisingly enough the are made from stainless steel.

INOX

The special material characteristics of the stainless steel used in the INOX line of STABILUS gas springs ("Stainless Steels" according to DIN EN 100 88-1) ensure a high level of protection against acid or lye stress, or when used in a critical environment, such as sea or industrial air.

And from KW themselves:

Part of that toughness comes from the distinctive polished stainless steel construction of KW's coiloverbodies, employed because an adjustable-height suspension isn't worth ahoot if rust seizes up its adjustment mechanism.

So your still saying there not stainless steel then?

Have a look at the welds around the mounting brackets, if you know anything about welding youll see that the housings are coated (because there are no scorch marks around the welds)

Good luck finding coilovers made of stainless steel, for a start they'd be too heavy, secondly they would be much more expensive.

Well you know best LOL

And as for the weight comment.... Do you actually know the difference in density between it and a steel alloy? your find its about 0.3 g/cm3 which is next to nothing. And depending on the mixture of the steel, it can actually be lighter than steel or iron. Unless you compared them to a mag or aluminium alloy, which would be very dear then i realy dont think weight would be a problem.

I think your the point about the welding is complete crap being a trained welder myself. I think your find the struts are polished for final finish, And a good welder, will not produce large scorch marks on a weld or surrounding structure. if you know anything? so i this case i think i do know best LOL

Here is a picture of our stainless steel handrail on the balcony at home that i have just finished. with a good weld, you have no marks on the tubing. This is just brushed stainless steel and the welds cleaned up, not even polished:

P1030204.jpg

And here is a picture of KW polished SS welds:

m5lp_0509_kw_05_z.jpg

Exhausts are alot different in this case. If you can find any oldschool bike frame that employs SS. You will find the welds are very neat and show no signs of scorching on the tubing.

Scorching employs a work hardening process brought on my the heat, making the metal loose its strength and become brittle, and on a gas/oil pressure strut, i dont think thats the characteristics there looking for.

I was trying to help out and contribute :rolleyes:

When its help and advice, make sure the facts are straight first eh?

John

Edited by Casper1496

Dont hold me to ths but i think the FK's are Galvanised, And as weve discovered, the KW's are SS

One has better corrosion protection attributes than the other. Hence the price difference.

Normally what you pay for is the quality you get with suspension.

John

Both are pretty similar, ive got a friend with silverlines on his polo and the adjustment cup has seized, and a friend with a fiesta who has kw v1's and they are perfect. No corrosion and the ride quality is great. Go for V1's, I wish I did as my weiteks are corroding slightly. :coffee:

Not if you mechanically minded did mine on a ramp with 2 mates help in under and hour, but realistically on axel stands without workshop tools your probably looking between 2 to 3 hours. Theres how to guides in the archive so have a look. ;)

Im not sure how much they are retail. But there not really that much at all, from a stealers id say mabe 45 quid to see all the top mounts done.

Check with you stealers though. I just had a search on tinternet, and found a lupo front top strut mount including the bearing for £6 each side... sounds too cheap to be true!

I got mine through a friend at there garage, cost me £20 for front with the bearing and the rears.

Just found out that KW do a top mount kit, not sure if its for the lupo though, and apparently it comes with there clubsport range of coilovers.

John

Edited by Casper1496

And as weve discovered, the KW's are SS

Have you even looked at yours yet casper ? when you do, a man of your experience and knowlege will see that they are coated.

Yes the picture you posted proves that welds dont have to have scorch marks, but if you looks at the KW's you will see it is a coating.

I have searched google, i have found forums where people talk of the "inox coating", thats because it IS a coating you just have to look at them to see.

I think thats why they call it stainless steel "technology", because it's not actually solid stainless steel ;) they are NOT polished, they are NOT machined, they are NOT brushed, they are coated in KW's inox stainless steel "technology"

Also if something is solid stainless, they usually will quote a particular grade of stainless steel.

Despite you have proved me wrong in a couple of areas, i stand by the fact that they are coated.

Edited by L119 UPO

Dont get my car back from the grage untill weds, so no i havent...

Personally, i dont care anymore, its just childish now.... I own a pair of the best coilovers for the money available due to to materials so im happy.

Can you not post a picture up of yours? preferably where the two main bolts go through? if its coated, it would pit in thiat area first. or have you not got them?

john

Yeah well you might just have to see what the garage can do for you, they probaly wont be able to achieve -1 or -1.5

But TBH ive ran mine now unset for months, and there is no visible bad wear to the tyres. Dont care much anyway these Dunlops are cr@p.

Edited by L119 UPO

Need to get mine sorted.. Putting new rubber on at the same time with refurbed wheels, So id like them to last as long as possible!

The dunlops are a bag of WA*K but allbeit they did last me 25K! and i drove it like a TW*T round the twisties!

cant justify spending £70-80 quid on a tyre, when i got toyos for £49 a corner.

Just counting down the days untill its back from the bodyshop now, Geometry checks on monday and then Adjustment's and its done. Hoping for weds.

Gotta cut my engine cover a little more so the BMC dont snag on the front edge. and get a nice colout piping to go round the edge. Preferably sliver piping as ive got the ltd edition BMC.

Got any?

John