Sound insulation

Im generally getting peeved with the amount of road noise Im getting in the car at the moment & hopefully if I can get some time off soon I want to try & address it.

The idea will be deaden the car first using Dynamat or something similar & then add the insulation. The last stuff I used was a 3.5cm thick aluminised closed cell marine foam, unfortuantely I dont have my supply anymore & at £55+ for a 1m square sheet it's not going to be an option. I've seen some fairly interesting techniques & materials used to insulate but was wondering what was really effective? At present Im thinking along the lines of using a heavy duty roofing insulation in a sealed bag which can then be stuffed into the rear quarters & bootlid (main offending areas), which should be cheap, lightweight & waterproof. Any other ideas peepholes? :)

Edited by Max69vk

Expantable foam (the builders kind) is great for the hard to reach areas.

Roof insulation is spot on for the inner rear panels.

Roof flashing tape over the panels.

All cheap and chearful, and all work really well :)

Those S-shaped bits of polystyrene you get in computer boxes. It's dirt cheap, will get in all the crevaces, is non-absorbant, and I'm sure you could spray something (waxoyl) in to prevent it giggling about. You could put it in the rear wings through the rear speaker holes.

Bits of thick tape across big pannels to prevent drumming.

Edited by TomLS

i swear by using a combination of brown bread and camping roll mats (argooos 4.99 ;-) ) and for big cavitys the content of some cheap 100% polyester pillows into 2 bin bags stuffed into the cavity. roofing flash tape may look the same as brown bread but its not. iv found camping mats to be a real gem i first used one in my pc case and was so impressed i tried it in the car with very good results.

What you need for sound insulation is a very dense material and material that wont resonate, all this foam chippings etc wont be very good at all. The only problem with dense material is the extra weight youll be adding.

Why not use a dense foam that is almost like latex ? you can get sealed foams which wont absorb water and are denser/heavier than usual, also if you glue that in ontop of your dynamat it will help reduce resonance in your body panels.

Im also a bit sick of the road noise too, even getting quiet tyres doesnt solve the problem all that much.

So im interested to here what people think too.

I did look into what i could use a few months ago but couldnt find what i was looking for.

It has to be light, easy to shape/cut and cheap.

What you need for sound insulation is a very dense material and material that wont resonate, all this foam chippings etc wont be very good at all. The only problem with dense material is the extra weight youll be adding.

Why not use a dense foam that is almost like latex ? you can get sealed foams which wont absorb water and are denser/heavier than usual, also if you glue that in ontop of your dynamat it will help reduce resonance in your body panels.

That's the stuff I used to use, but I've lost my connections at Sunseeker now so its going to cost about £50sq/m which (despite how good it is) is bloody expensive!

Im also a bit sick of the road noise too, even getting quiet tyres doesnt solve the problem all that much.

So im interested to here what people think too.

I did look into what i could use a few months ago but couldnt find what i was looking for.

It has to be light, easy to shape/cut and cheap.

This is why I was thinking of filling some large, thick plastic bags with rockwool & sealing them up so they could be pushed into the rear panels (a bit like large pillows) :)

Edited by Max69vk

That's the stuff I used to use, but I've lost my connections at Sunseeker now so its going to cost about £50sq/m which (despite how good it is) is bloody expensive!

This is why I was thinking of filling some large, thick plastic bags with rockwool & sealing them up so they could be pushed into the rear panels (a bit like large pillows) :)

Use the slabs tho cut to shape, pellets wont be much use unless packed extremely tight.

Use the slabs tho cut to shape, pellets wont be much use unless packed extremely tight.

I was thinking more of the actual wool rather than pellets as I dont think the board can be flexed or bent to fill the spaces properly.

It would be best to buy the slabs, this stuff can be cut and shaped with a saw or just pull bits off it and stuff them tight into the gaps. It is bendable, especially the 50mm stuff.

Comes in 600mm x 900mm x 100mm or by 50mm thick.

rockwool.jpg

We sound insulated the whole house with this stuff, sound doesnt travel through the house at all. You can even shout but people will barely hear you.

Edited by L119 UPO

^^^ Thats different stuff to what I was thinking about, is it waterproof or at least moisture proof?

Thats the thing i was worried about because it does soak up water and holds water, rusty panels anybody ?

But on second thoughts, the interior, carpet, felt insulation etc are all capable of doing the same.

what about sticking some plastic on top of that so to act as a membrane?

Windscreen packing bags are perfect for the job as they are huge & very thick, just go to your local autoglass etc & they'll give you loads of their old ones! :)