Best place to put air feed pipe...?

claire_09x

Ive just put a k&N airfilter on my 1.4 (75bhp) loop. My boyfriend fitted it, he said the original pipe was going to the wheel arch, so the new air feed is just pointing downwards in a gap we found as there was no place it could go near the front grill....

Where have people put their feeds?? I cant find a good place, where it is at the mo prob isnt getting the best air. Also there is a horrible smell inside my car since putting it on..think this is from the oil breather? Whats the best thing to do with this? Thanks

Ive just put a k&N airfilter on my 1.4 (75bhp) loop. My boyfriend fitted it, he said the original pipe was going to the wheel arch, so the new air feed is just pointing downwards in a gap we found as there was no place it could go near the front grill....

Where have people put their feeds?? I cant find a good place, where it is at the mo prob isnt getting the best air. Also there is a horrible smell inside my car since putting it on..think this is from the oil breather? Whats the best thing to do with this? Thanks

You might want to get a longer feed pipe. You can get 1m ones on ebay for about £16. At the moment one of my feeds goes into the wing as standard and the other is tucked in below and to the side of the headlight. Albeit these are only temporary. :wacko:

thanks, so u say this is only temp? Where are you going to put it after? There are lots of gaps in the engine bay for the feed to get cool air but then it is facing downwards(towards the ground)which is obviously limiting the flow of cool air. It just seems that all the ideal places ie facing to the front grill are covered with metal work ect

Theres been a previous post about this, have a quick search.

I think people were saying that there is room to go down between the drivers side headlight and wheel arch lining to the lower front grill. Not sure if this is only for the Gti tho as i have never owned anything which isnt a Gti.

At the moment I'm running a PiperX filter so I can run 2 feeds to it - one from each side. I've got a BMC en route so if I put that on then it'll only be one feed i'll be using but i'm not sure where to run it from yet.

On mine, i seem to have more room on the passenger side of the car, but not sure if this is the case for non-gti's though.

you want to run the feed as low to the bottom of the bumper as possible without it being able to "suck" up water,

because as we know heat rises...

you want to run the feed as low to the bottom of the bumper as possible without it being able to "suck" up water,

because as we know heat rises...

:lol: you make me laugh at times!

The air at the tarmac is much higher than the air around your headlamps.

Have you ever touched Tamac on a summer day?

Its normally a 3 degrees higher temp around the tarmac than at headlamp level.

You must be kiiding me right? the standard air feed is the biggest waste of space i have ever come across, i mean wtf would they stick it in the wing? its crap IMHO.

They stick it in the wing because the air is colder there; not getting heat from the engine, or road. :coffee:, and lets be honest without other mods like an manifold, exhaust and re-map, a filter is going to give you squat by the way of power, just noise.

As for the smell I take it you have an oil breather on the end of the pipe then? this will give off fumes into the bay which in turn are sucked into the cabin. Could perhaps get a catch tank which will deal with the smell. :)

You must be kiiding me right? the standard air feed is the biggest waste of space i have ever come across, i mean wtf would they stick it in the wing? its crap IMHO.

Yep i dont understand why VW have put two tight bends in they're air intake and not only that made the bends out of a flexible concertina which slows down airflow.

Whoa i'v just removed the standard plastic air ducting thing that came with the car and replaced it with half a metre's of 60mm ducting pipe to the same place as vw intended, cleaned the airbox out, added and oil breather, got a k&n panel filter in it. and added some bosch super 4 plugs and coming back from derby it was doing a good job of keeping up with a wrx.........the mods have been proven to work by the jump in fuel consumption.....eeeepp

:rolleyes:

Edited by Toi gulp

• 4 weeks later...